Acoustic Shards review by Buckethead

• Released: May 31, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Buckethead: Acoustic Shards

This album is a fully acoustic. It sounds a lot diffrent from the other more mellow albums, like Colma or Electric tears, because there are no drums, no bass, just one acoustic guitar. Another diffrence is that there is no overdubs, layered riffs, or any other studio effects. It was recorded on the first take. No re-do's or anything so there are many mistakes and where it sounds like he gets distracted it completley changes. It seems as though there is no metronome so it gets pretty off beat but it's still a pretty solid job. The whole album was recorded on a stock Guild D-40C guitar. You can here a tv on in the backround on some of the songs witch is kind of cool. The case is mislabeled, I think all of them are, but the track "Who Me?" is second and "Little Gracie" is third but they're labeled opposite. All artwork was done by Buckethead himself.

The lyrics are pretty non-existant so it's pretty good, if your into instrumentals. The titles are random and make no sense, Eds Rhapsody/Mdnight Dnce/Jars, Ganru Island/Saskia's Gone, Thugs and Box Elders are a few examples. The singer is amazing, unfortanatly he doesn't sing.

Considering it is young buckethead, you can forgive the mistakes and the poor recording quality. The early versions of the songs "For Mom" and "Who Me?" are amazing. It has a very wide variety of styles from country chickin pickin' to acoustic shredding to spanish flamenco and yes the augmented random 4 finger nubing also makes its way into the tracks. It's a very pretty album, and its improvisations also witch gives another element to it. I don't like that single tracks have 2-3 names and the names are random. If I lost it I would probably get electric tears because I could probably get more out of it then Acoustic Shards. overall it's a pretty nice album.

Orochi Iori
    Then go to war and tell me if war is better then peace. I'm definitely buying this album. Not downloading it. Why? Come on people! He's poured his heart and soul, emotion, and what not into bringing you his most awesome of power! Besides, he needs the money to continue on. And like "Falling Forever" said, it is very amazing that it's pretty much near perfection, considering it was recorded on one take.
    mashedpotatoes
    Td_Nights wrote: Dnalrafcmb3 wrote: I don't like this Hippie, Peace not War, Bull Sh!t. Its absolutely retarded. I hate it, when modern society tries to "simplify" stuff. I like the musical aspect, but the sound is TOTAL CRAP! Damn you're stupid. Have you even listened to Buckethead before?
    Lol, seriously
    Td_Nights
    Damn you're stupid. Have you even listened to Buckethead before?
    THE NEKRYPH
    WhaTever4 wrote: Buckethead5 wrote: I've ****ing downloaded The Search Of, and this album. I've got everything by Buckethead(God) where can I download "In Search Of the" I cant find it on limewire!!
    That's because Limewire sucks. Who uses Limewire? You will only be able to find it using torrents.
    WhaTever4
    where can I download "In Search Of the" I cant find it on limewire!!
    rock_on12321
    Bucket is my hero. I think that guy talkin about the hippie stuff needs to get his facts straight. buckethead is one o the greatest most unique guitar players ever. I mean how many people were raized by chickens and have the power to summon chickens to fight giant robots and cinnepede woman and such?
    copet
    Pretty low quality review. Titles that don't make sense? Why, cause the title isn't in the lyrics? Should they be called Song 1, 2, 3...
    WhaTever4
    Dnalrafcmb3
    fallingforever
    doesn't the fact that this was recorded in one take make it even more amazing? when i first hear it i was blown away 10/10
    Buckethead5
    Gein
    WhaTever4 wrote: Wish I had more money to buy this kinda stuff off the internet like his 13 CD set he just started selling!
    Just started? I'm pretty sure that released early this year.
    KewlBeans
    Buckethead is ****ing amazing, I doubt any other guitarist in history could just grab an acoustic guitar and jam for an hour, leading to the conformation of such an awesomely epic album, no studio effects, no drums, nothing, just Big B and an acoustic guitar...