Decoding The Tomb Bansheebot review by Buckethead

• Released: Jan 15, 2008
Buckethead: Decoding The Tomb Bansheebot

This being my first Buckethead album, I was quite surprised. I expected an all-out metal attack, considering his appearance and reputation for being of the most technical instrumental guys out there. Seeing articles on him, his influences, being taught by Paul Gilbert, along with the ever popular single 'Jordan', I expected an album completely different. What I received was an album that's simply beautiful. It's a clever mixture of the heavy metal riffage I expected, along with smooth, melodic, emotional interludes scattered among s few of the tracks. It's a great change of pace from other instrumental guys, it just has a different mix of sound. If you're expecting Satriani, Vai, or Malmsteen, you're in for a pleasant change of pacing that isn't necessarily better or worse, it's just different. I would say that the only real "negative" is that this great soundscape gets somewhat redundant to the point where you expect him to break down into slightly overdriven chords, whereas is feels more natural and unexpected in the early parts. It's all good music, it just loses some of it's appeal towards the end.

In the instrumental rock genre, it's obvious that the attention is automatically drawn to the virtuosos at hand. Some guys really pull of the instrumental sound, some making you almost forget the vocals aren't there. Buckethead surprisingly (to me) does a solid job doing this, but I wouldn't say it's on the same level as Gilbert, Petrucci (solo), or Satch. It gets close, but it just falls a tad short. I don't really expect a bucket-toting, mask-wearing mystery such as Buckethead to go around singing ballads, but then again I didn't expect his guitar parts to be as emotional or vocal as they are.

This album really opened up my eyes to Buckethead. I can see why his fans really do love his work. It's a breath of fresh air in the instrumental rock/guitar genre, a style of it's own. When you consider the man behind the soundscape of mayhem being presented to you, it almost makes the music even more interesting. It's all part of the hype and mystery behind him; a collection of stories, rumors, and fascination that seems to draw people to check him out. To be completely honest I just put this album on and let it play through until I get bored with it, so I'm not too familiar with many of the names of the songs. Some standouts include "Sail On Soothsayer", "Stretching Lighthouse", and "Ghost Host". I can't really stress enough that it's a different experience compared to other virtuoso stuff, for which I really recommend this album. It tends to get old quicker than many albums, but it's got enough quality and emotion in it to stick out in my mind.

xXChimairaXx
    First off, i've seen SLASH a few times live...AND BUCKETHEAD IS A HUNDRED TIMES BETTER. But Slash definitely is cooler, Buckethead has got to be the weirdest person alive.
    Underjoggle
    There are lyrics? When was the last time that happened, Monsters and Robots? Who's singing?
    bucketbot000598
    I suggest EVERYONE go and check out Buckethead on tour. I get to see him Feb. 15th in San Francisco, I CANT WAIT!
    King Kobra
    Whoa, nice timing for me to log on to UGT lolz. Woulda missed this CD completely if I didn't!
    cabojohnny5150
    This album is awesome! You can get it at TDRSMusic.com (along with many other new cds from Buckethead) check out another new cd by him called 'Cyborg Slunks' (they even have a limited edition that Buckethead hand draws each cd cover.
    shuriken
    buckethead is amazing monsters n robots is probably, no, definitely the last time there were vox. im gonna have to go buy this one. even if it didn't come out on 1/15, it's still new to the majority of us. AND I GIVE A FUCK!
    Bristlehead
    lol everyone is like freaking out about this. they couldn't announce all of his CD releases because there's like about one a month... and this one is really old. it was one of three that he released on like Halloween, I think. Either way -- all Buckethead is good.
    ernasty10050
    This album is my second favorite, next to Crime Slunk Scene, if only for the amazing "Soothsayer" on Crime Slunk Scene.
    Neverhead666
    its a Buckethead album, it has to be good. I would also recommend Enter The Chicken, an album that actually has vocals, produced my Serj Tankian of SOAD. also get Crime Slunk Scene, Colma, and Electric Tears, all beautiful albums
    SchitzoJoe
    Wow... I'd never heard that this album was even released. I'm buying it today after school.
    dgme92
    DANZIG767 wrote: Id much rather buy the cd then download it, its a good way to support the band and add to your collection
    Yeah but sadly, no matter however much we may want to, or how much we actually do support Buckethead, he still won't reach mainstream appeal, outside of guitar hero or GnR. It's a shame really, Buckethead's awesome.
    DANZIG767
    Liam.
    Ugh Maybe 9 of the songs sound exactly the damn same, this album overall is pathetic cash in on the same song over and over....only decent track is Sail On Soothsayer
    RNRneverdie
    GEARS_OF_DETH wrote: SlashWannabe1 wrote: Who Gives a Fuck? WELL SLASH WANNABE I GIVE A FUCK EVER THOUGHT OF THAT it's slash, dude ,SLASH WANNABE,that's the kind of name that the fans that i don't like have. and I give a **** too bitch. Rock N' Fucking Roll
    snapneck
    I myself was surprised at how awesome this cd was. Got it for x-mas and listened to it for a few weeks straight.
    cukd7x-a2-
    Ez0ph wrote: ATGreat wrote: First! yea, good album, really diffrent from everything else out there. too late mofo
    BuRN!
    mental_zer0
    DANZIG767 wrote: @ir_pele wrote: ooks like i'm gonna have to illegally download this off from the internet. they don't really sell these kind of albums here in the Philippines. Plus, laws are kinda loose here. Kids smoking in public, pirated DVD's everywhere, and all that shit. Same here in Greece...Everyone is calling me an idiot cause I buy my cd's (even if I have them already downloaded...) Id much rather buy the cd then download it, its a good way to support the band and add to your collection
    most of the money from CD sales goes to the label, not the artist. Most bands make their money from t-shirt sales and stuff like that. Though I guess buckethead would still get a large portion of it since it's a tiny label. ahem...buckethead rocks.
    heretic555666
    This is bucketheads Best album by far! it even outstrips crime slunk scene and the Elephant mans alarm clock for me and those are brilliant albums!
    str84ever
    broken fusion! wrote: Prince Albert wrote: broken fusion! wrote: buckethead is a ****ing joke Apparently not, since you took the time to read the review AND post a derogatory comment. Buckethead 4 life Well, the fact that I posted (didn't read the review though lol) doesn't really have any relation to the fact that he's a joke
    Well that's pretty sad that you just came on here to say that he sucks. I sadly don't have any buckethead albums i will have to save and get Colma.
    NorfIrIon
    Lol, I got like 20 something of his albums just recently (Including some Praxis and Thanatopsis, and the new Deli Creeps one), and this is one of the, er, least good, in my opinion. He's an amazing guy.
    rocker20
    Vantage wrote: Ok guys, please don't download it through torrents and stuff. You could download or buy his albums at www.tdrsmusic.com.
    i dont want to use my credit card
    Guitar_Poet
    broken fusion! wrote: Well, the fact that I posted (didn't read the review though lol) doesn't really have any relation to the fact that he's a joke
    i wouldnt say its a fact... or that hes a joke... hes definitely a character, but he writes pretty cool music (with exceptions, of course). regardless of whether you appreciate or hate the mask and "hat" and everything else about Buckethead... the truth is, he can go in to a store and buy something like a normal person without a million people asking for his autograph. that is a freedom most other celebrities/rock stars do not have.
    munkyRobb
    is this an entirely new album or wat? cos i already have decoding the tomb of bansheebot and appartently there was a new dawn of the deli creeps releashed but it was the same as the last one
    [travis]
    I just bought the "Young Buckethead" DVD, and it's not all great. There's a couple of parts were you can see Buckethead unmasked, some parts are blurred. The guitar parts are ****ing awesome, but some of the sound is pretty bad, since it was recorded in 1990.
    jagz1521
    broken fusion! wrote: buckethead is a ****ing joke
    though he's ****ing weird, has a lot of ****ing riffs, doesnt't make him a ****ing joke, broken fusion. question, can you actually pull off a riff as good as buckethead's?
    RNRneverdie
    GEARS_OF_DETH wrote: SlashWannabe1 wrote: Who Gives a Fuck? WELL SLASH WANNABE I GIVE A FUCK EVER THOUGHT OF THAT it's slash, dude ,SLASH WANNABE,that's the kind of name that the fans that i don't like have. and I give a Fuck too bitch. Rock N' Fucking Roll
    jagz1521
    J.A.M wrote: jagz1521 wrote: looks like i'm gonna have to illegally download this off from the internet. they don't really sell these kind of albums here in the Philippines. Plus, laws are kinda loose here. Kids smoking in public, pirated DVD's everywhere, and all that shit. That's what Amazon is for, retard.[/quote] I'm fifteen years old. I don't have a credit card! And let's face it, I'm one of the millions of Filipinos that actually support piracy (for financial and other obvious reasons).
    Orochi Iori
    He needs a girlfriend. Or someone to occupy himself; he's too friggin' fast! He makes albums like he has a flux capacitor!
    chaoticfables
    BUCKETHEAD!!!!! He was part of Guns N' Roses at one time he quit They said he wasn't enthusiastic and not very helpful as a band member
    StratMaster101
    Everybody wants a piece of Buckethead's chicken, southern fried chicken, finger lickin'. You hear me?