Enter the Chicken review by Buckethead

• Released: Apr 8, 2008
Buckethead: Enter the Chicken

This album is, as far as I know, Buckethead's first and only album with lyrics and singing in every song accompanying Buckethead's guitar playing, and I must say this combination is pulled off with amazing results. Several different artists provide the vocals for the tracks on the CD, from the deep, fast, staccato singing in We Are One to the melodic, melancholy vocals of a song like Coma, the guitar and the singing sound sublime together. The style of the music ranges from Buckethead's take on metal (Funbus), what sounds like alternative rock with more complex guitar (Waiting Here), to a song somewhat reminiscent of The Gorillaz (Three Fingers).

All the singers on the album are undeniably talented. As I said, the lyrics/singing and the guitar compliment each other perfectly. That being said, some of the lyrics can only be described as ridiculous. Of course, when listening to Buckethead, you have to keep in mind the fact that you're listening to a man who wears a bucket and a mask all the time. In the song 'We Are One,' the lyrics are more or less unintelligible. They go well with the guitar, but upon looking the lyrics up you'll find that the singer is chanting "Castrate! Castrate All-----!" Of course I have to mention the song Funbus. The verse is a surprisingly deep analysis of human psyche, popular culture, and music and art in general.

Compared to other Buckethead albums, this is one of my favorites. When I learned that this album contained lyrics, I wasn't sure if the combination would be for me. Now that I've listened to it a few times, I just love the combination. I find myself wishing he'd put out another album with vocals in almost every track. The most impressive songs are, in my opinion, Waiting Here, and Nottingham Lace. Waiting here, is realistically, a Buckethead song you could reasonably expect to hear on the radio. The vocals are performed by Shana Halligan and Serj Tankian, who sing seperately, during the verse, and in harmony during the chorus. The chorus, Buckethead's guitar alongside the two singers, is the pinnacle of the vocal and guitar combination in this album. Of course, the singers voices sound excellent together, but Buckethead's guitar adds something distinct and noticeable to the song. Nottingham Lace is the only full-length instrumental song on the album and it reminds you what probably got you into Buckethead in the first place. All the instruments come together to create a song with amazing rythm, beautiful solos, and Buckethead's trademark effects noises. I would definitely buy this album again, it might be the best album Buckethead has made.

Fenderboy-'06
    buckethead has loads of albums, electric tears for example colma and death cube k (an anagram of buckethead) electric tears is an amasing album it even has a cover of mile's davie's sketches of spain
    Neverhead666
    its a great album. his work on Crime Slunk Scene and The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell are also pretty amazing