Slaughterhouse On The Prairie review by Buckethead

• Released: Jan 30, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Buckethead: Slaughterhouse On The Prairie

The usual Buckethead sound. Abstract, crazy, super dirty at times but also super clean. I'll rate every song by once, this is my second time through the album. 01."Lebron": gave me chills with the intro riff, great way to start the album. Dedicated to basketball play James LeBron, this song is groovy, dirty and has some very catchy riffs in it. This was released with Lebron's Hammer under an album name "Home For The Hemmorage" on Lebron's Birthday. 10/10 02."Lebron's Hammer": another dedication, released with Lebron. A thick barrage of heavy metal riffs with soft interludes makes this another catchy tune I'd listen to again. The end solo is especially memorable; he's incorporated a few new techniques if you listen closely. 9.5/10 03."Blood Bayou": a very abstract track. Highly dissonant intro, I couldn't say I really liked it on my first of second listen, but I do like a few riffs in here. 3/10 04."Iceman - (Dedicated to George Gervin)": abstract sound to it -- Really great track. Buckethead really works out his alternate picking in this track with a lot of cool runs. 8/10 05."Don't use Roosts If You Raise Broilers": abstract, funky, and super catchy at times. Very enchanting track, even the sound effects sound great. The riff at around 2:35 is so classic Buckethead, it's worth more listens. 9/10 06."Robot Checkerboard": highly dissonant intro...no, just highly dissonant throught. I really couldn't say much for it. Definitely one of my least favorite on the albums...although it does ceartinly sound like a robot. 3/10 07."Premonition": super awesome track. One of the best for sure. Great mix of clean and heavy riffage. 8/10 08."Crouching Stump Hidden Limb": annoyingly dissonant intro instead of just usual dissonant. Breaks into a cool funk/progressive riff. The whole song has that general mood, even a little Jazz in there. The dissonant parts in here are also really damn cool sounding. 6/10 09."Goat Host": pretty good...another bad intro though. It gets much better as it goes on. Worked out palm-muted picking solo breaks into a great slap solo. Great job overall, I forgive the intro. 7/10 10."The Stretching Room": I don't know. Don't really like this song at all. It sounds terrible until a cool slap part, then the rest sounds bad until a cool metal riff comes on, then goes back to not trying. Really unimpressive track for the rest of the way. THE WORST on the album. 1/10 11."Pumpkin Pike": the mix of dissonant sounds in this song are sort of catchy but other riffs are just absolutely nasty. You can probably figure them out. The regular Buckethead-esque riffage and playing...not impressed. 4/10 12."Collecting Specimens": kinda cool, there's a lot of really good parts and really weird parts to this song, that once again are just simply way to dissonant. 5/10 13."Rack Maintenance Part 2": ahh, The Part 2 from "Rack Maintenance" from the great album "Kaleidoscalp." I'm a guy that believes that "Rack Maintenance" was probably the best song on that album. While the last minute of this song is a perfect outro, didn't enjoy anything before that. 5/10

The album is entirely instrumental. The score here will be the score of the music itself, there's nothing to comment on the song titles or anything, they're classic Buckethead; It seems that the less crazy the song sounds the better it tends to be, however (there are exceptions though, "Don't Raise Roosts If You Raise Broilers," would be one of the few exceptions.)

This album was a mixture of feelings, sort of. It's similar to Albino Slug; it's got some greatly memorable songs (Lebron, Lebron's Hammer, Iceman, Premonition, Don't Use Roosts If You Raise Broilers) all hidden underneath a slew of filler Buckethead music. This album is sweet and sour: Having five new great tracks that I'd listen to again and again is great to add to my list of favorite BH songs, but having eight that doen't cut the grade for even on re-listen, that I literally want to skip them is crazy. Albino Slug may have had songs that didn't stick, but they weren't unbearable. And for those who believe I hate dissonance, you're crazy. I believe Elephant Man's Alarm Clock and Inbred Mountain were two of his greatest albums because they showed dissonance actually being capable of being something other then "annoying noise coming from your computer." This crosses the line from an Avant-garde masterpiece to annoying buzz in songs like "Pumpkin Pike" or "Crouching Stump Hidden Limb." Regardless, the five ones that really stand out in this album sound unbelievable at every second and prove that Buckethead's definitely still got more magic in him, hopefully for a long time. And I'll enjoy those five for just as long.

metal_666_man
    IggyMorrison wrote: Somnambulance wrote: Brian 1.0 wrote: Looking back on this review, It does seem like I was pretty hard on the songs. However, my opinions still stand on them, although maybe I'd be less hard-ass on the ratings. Thanks for commenting! I disagree. Reviewers on this site are way, way, way too soft on albums. It's like an album is either garbage or God's gift to humanity. I thank you, honestly, for producing a more honest review than those that are usually on the site. Exactly, most reviews I read here about guitars or albums are fanboyish and full of over the top ass-kissing and 10/10s. I feel that even if you enjoy a certain album you don't necessarily have to talk about it like it's the greatest work of art ever. Also I'd like to know what people who give squiers or epiphone SGs a 10/10 rating would give a Les Paul or a Strat. 30/10? I don't know how good or bad this album is but you shouldn't feel guilty for being true to what you feel no matter how harsh it may sound.
    I COMPLETELY AGREE
    jbswreckfest
    The end solo is especially memorable; he's incorporated a few new techniques if you listen closely Are you implying there was something buckethead couldnt do? Hes still one of the best and one of my favorites. Sometimes he sounds questionable though. Fair review
    stuuuuuuuuuu
    stretching room is a pretty awesome track. you crazy man. the album is like a mix between bansheebot and the second half of crime slunk scene, so basically its fantastic
    rollazuki
    Its a review by a man. Its that mans opinion of wether its good or not. To him, that opinion is always right , because its his opinion. If people dont want to rear someones opinion, dont read reviews, simple eh!! Damn there are some dumb people ripping into this reviewer, go away, read something else. Go buy the album, form your own opinion.
    Big Sur
    It's an honest review, anyone familiar with Buckethead has the balls to admit he fills a lot of his albums with shitty music, we know that. In all honesty, anyone who writes will give him leeway on that. You have your masterpieces, and the times of slunk where you just can't come up with shit. Instead of fussing and trying to stuff an album with solely masterpieces every 5 years, Buckethead leaves it on the album and get's over it, get's it out of his way and moves on. People get caught up on songs all the time and spend more time trying to perfect it than they should, Buckethead's albums are just very true to the creative mind, now stop whining. Bloodandfire : "You're all touchy faggots. Bucketheads glory days really are over. Get over it." You have no idea what you're talking about. He's still improving, if you paid any attention you would be able to tell. He may be reaching the end of his run soon, but not yet.
    Somnambulance
    buckethead_X
    I almost completely agree with Big Sur. He comes up with so much stuff; some of it may not be your favorite, but he's bound to have many songs you will love. I don't care if someone says his "glory days" are over. His technical skills are astounding, he's insanely creative, and he's capable of expressing emotion. But I don't think he'll be reaching the end of his run too soon; I think he loves what he does way too much. And I will be getting this album.
    Giant_Robot
    That review was god awful you didnt reall talk about the music more about your personal views ...thats not a review but i do agree with lebron being the best on the album for sure!!
    PdMeasles
    P'WANSA wrote: you see him (playing )you like it, you hear him you sleep.
    ...you're retarded
    SlunkBayou
    Wow, this reviewer is a ****ing dumb douche bag, reviews are based on skill, knowledge and so forth, not your own opinion, ****, why would anyone want to read your opinion coming out of your dirty faggot head? go **** yourself, it was a great album, ****tard.
    w1ls0n
    Great review. When i listend to this album the first time i thought it was goning to be one of his best. lebron and lebrons hammer are both amazing songs. unfortunatly after that the album completly lost it apart from a few rare moments
    IggyMorrison
    Brian 1.0
    cannedmalice
    I would just like to point out that is LeBron James, not James LeBron. Anyone who has watched any Gatorade, Nike, State Farm, or really any other commercial in the last 5 years would know that. That said, the review is weak for all the above mentioned reasons. Quick tip to author: grab a thesaurus, and look up "dissonant." There is more than one word to describe that concept.
    Baby Joel
    Review was too personal. Talk about the songs in a more analytical and less "This is what I think" and more "These are what the songs are like" Talk about how well structured or produced the songs are. kthx
    Galvatron
    LOL,did they reveiwer just learn the word dissonant? Maybe he should have found a way to say it just a few more times.
    zAg1619
    Reviewer sounds like he just go out of 7th grade english with 3 or 4 new words that he had to test out. Shit review.
    icanhearpudding
    Give him a break, the review is fine. He illustrated one of the main points being that the noise songs on the album get to be lame.
    MasterOfCows
    octopec wrote: Good review imo, I don't know what people are ripping on. If dissonant is the word that springs to mind first, let the reviewer use it for god's sake. Would you rather there was no review, so that you knew nothing about how it sounded?
    Well actually I'd listen to the album myself, then I'd know how it sounded. So yes, I would rather there was no review.
    octopec
    Spoony_Bard
    I gotta get this! Buckethead is so awesome because he releases a new album like every 6 months. What a stud.
    CousticStrangla
    Please stop hiring idiots to write "reviews." I swear the bullshit I see on this site amazes me. Sometimes I even read these reviews just to make myself feel like a genius.