Blues Singer review by Buddy Guy

• Released: Jun 3, 2003
Buddy Guy: Blues Singer

Of all the great blues artists out there, few equal up to the outstanding Buddy Guy. This CD brings you his bluesy sound so unequivocally and brilliantly it is like he is sitting right on your front porch, singing away about the hard times. He unplugs from his electric guitar and dishes up 12 songs of acoustic soul. The entire CD has an aura of peacefulness and sweet sorrow that reverberates with Buddy's changing vocals. He sings high and he sings low, but the point is he sings the truth, his own personal truths. With so much feeling behind his music, it is hard to fight the feeling that you too, will have the blues.

Buddy incorporates 100% of his spirit into the lyrics. Word after word, illustrating vividly his hard times, his good times, and the times he just has to sing about. However his lyrics aren't for those looking for complicated rhyme schemes or super deep meaning. His lyrics are also not for those looking for a party soundtrack, it is merely his soul translated into written words. He sings what he means, and he means what he sings. And only Buddy's voice can bring such life to the melancholy lyrical material.

If you like Buddy Guy, or blues for that matter, this CD is for you. I do, however, wish it could contain a little more of his masterful guitar playing. But the acoustic matches the In-Your-Living-Room feel of the CD. This is a fine monument to Blues and how well rough times translate into songs. If I were to lose this CD, I would buy another Buddy Guy CD, but not this exact one, not because I don't like it, but to hear more of his amazing sound which is so brilliantly recorded here. This CD proves Buddy's top spot in blues legend.