Bring 'Em In Review

artist: Buddy Guy date: 01/04/2006 category: compact discs
Buddy Guy: Bring 'Em In
Release Date: Sep 27, 2005
Label: Jive
Genres: Chicago Blues, Electric Chicago Blues, Electric Blues, Modern Electric Chicago Blues, Blues-Rock
Guy hasn't cut this many classics in a while, but he channels enough raw, emotional sensitivity to make the oldies sound like they're pumping fresh blood.
 9.9
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Bring 'Em In Reviewed by: vampwizzard, on january 04, 2006

Sound: A modern blues album. Modern in the sense that the sound is full and Buddy's guitar is blazing. The opening tracks are decent, standard buddy guy tunes, but the guitars really start kicking up on "What Kind Of Woman Is This." Other really blazing tracks include "I Put A Spell On You" a cover of the well known tune featuring Carlos Santana. The entire album is probably worth this track alone, where Buddy and Santana trade incredible wah-drenched licks. There is a ballad on this album in the form of "I've Got Dreams To Remember" featuring John Mayer. You can very easily tell between Buddy's guitar tone and Mayer's, and they play very well together. I was really impressed by the conservative licks played by everyone. The licks themselves boggle my mind, but it seems every one fits lyrically into the song. // 10

Lyrics: It's blues, so the lyrics arent exactly what I bought the album for. However, the John Mayer tune has incredible lyrics. What Kind of Woman is This is another decently written tune. Buddy Guy has a bluesy voice that, even in old age, is punchy and perfect for his own tunes. // 9

Overall Impression: Of blues albums, this one is a must listen to. I'm not sure if you'd buy it if you were not into blues. In other words, it is not a genre breaking album. But, if you want a perfect example of blues guitar in the 21st century, give this a listen. If you like the direction John Mayer has taken in his trio, then you owe it to yourself to listen to his hero and learn something. // 10

Comments