Sweet Tea review by Buddy Guy

• Released: May 15, 2001
Buddy Guy: Sweet Tea

Buddy Guy is a blues legend and with Sweet Tea may of created his best album. Tracks like Baby Please Don't Leave Me and Tramp show why he's where he is today. It starts with Done Got Old which is played on acoustic guitar and is literally just Buddy and his guitar. The best track for guitar fans would have to be Tramp as the guitar takes the drivers seat and there are few lines of vocals. This album is straight out rythm and blues but it does swing in some other genres too. Even though Guy's getting on a bit his playing is still as good as ever.

The lyrics are very standard blues type stuff. And he throws in shuffles all over the place. The singing is very consistent all the way through and it breaks in with the first song "Done Got Old" showing Buddy is feeling his age but nontheless he has still got it. Buddy Guy is not the greatest singer in the world but he makes up for this with his guitar playing werein he is very skillful and a very talented man.

This was the second blues album I ever heard (Texas Flood being the first) and it has totally converted me to the power of the blues. I have now broadened my listening from metal to mainly listening to blues. I love the guitar on this album as it sounds very simple to play (and is). The thing which could be better in this album is the production as it can be very dry but notheless an impressive album.