Volcanic Rock review by Buffalo

Buffalo: Volcanic Rock

This is the second album by 70's Australian hard rock band Buffalo, released in 1973. The band's line up back then consisted of Dave Tice on vocals, Peter Wells on bass, John Baxter on guitar and Jimmy Economou on the drums. I gotta say, this is pretty heavy for 1973. There's some really amazing hard rock riffs here, but at the same time a lot of jams and crazy instrumental tripping (listen to "Freedom" and its 9 minutes of pure awesomeness), so I would call this a "heavy psych" or "hard psych" album, too. Bass lines are also pretty solid and its sound is very audible. Drumming is also kinda crazy, and this guy sure knows how to get out of that stagnant hi hat-snare beat throughout the songs (not saying this kind of "hi hat-snare" drumming is bad, but I really enjoy listening to crazy drummers). In fact, I think these guys were one of the craziest things going on in the 70's (no wonder they even opened for Black Sabbath many times), and I feel like these guys are really underrated. A hard rock gem, for sure!

Lyrics on this album kinda talks about some interesting trips (like in "Sunrise (Come My Way)" and "Freedom"), but there's also a few ones talking about woman (there's also a quite funny story on "Shylock"). And, when it comes to Dave Tice's vocal performance, well, I gotta say this guy totally rocks. His voice is just powerful and he really knows how to add some good drive to it, but also with a lot of feeling. Really great!

Well, that's it. If you're a fan of 70's rock acts like Black Sabbath or Deep Purple, be sure to give this a listen. Also, check it out if you like crazy instrumental jams. I'm almost sure you'll be blown away. Sadly, these guys only released a few more albums and then disbanded in 1977. But in my opinion, this is their best album by far. I would say "Freedom" and "Till My Death" are the best songs on this album, but honestly, this album is amazing, at all. All songs here are at least above average. Totally a must have for any hard rock lover.