Perfect From Now On review by Built to Spill

• Released: Jan 28, 1997
Built to Spill: Perfect From Now On

If you play guitar, and you have never heard of Doug Martsch, you are missing out. Doug, accompanied by his band Built to Spill, is the guitar wizard of the indie rock revolution. Quite simply, he is one of the greatest guitarists I have ever heard. His guitar greatness comes not from flashy speed-metal solos or wanky wah pedals (well maybe it does come from wah pedals occasionally), but it comes more from his excellent sense of songcraft. The song "Stop The Show" gives me chills; it builds up tension for the first three minutes before launching into an exuberant pop riff - excellent. "I Would Hurt A Fly" matches a dark progression with that awesome wah pedal I was telling you about accompanied by some great lyrics. "There's a mean bone in my body/its connected to the problems that I/won't take for an answer/I wont take that from you/because I would hurt a fly..."

Reading those lyrics, nu-metal springs to mind, so I suggest that you listen tot he song rather than judging it on those lyrics.

Stretching 8 songs over an ambitious 50-something minutes, Perfect from now on is a guitar-heavy, somewhat jammy, indie rock masterpiece.