Fever review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Apr 26, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Bullet for My Valentine: Fever

It has been over two years since Welsh metalcore band 'Bullet for my Valentine' have had an album released and established in the UK and US charts - however, given the lengthy amount of time the band had to work with 'Fever', it still comes as very much the same package that listeners experienced with 'The Poison', but more so 'Scream, Aim, Fire'. Essentially, this album establishes the band's sound even further instead of taking their music in a progressive direction, which is arguably the downfall of the record. 'Fever' throws no surprises at the listener at all, but rather simply sticks to the well known formula that has gotten 'Bullet for my Valentine' so far up until present, except this time it begins to wear a little thin. The band don't seem to have come an awful long way since their last record - the song structures on 'Fever' still follow a very close replica of those heard on 'Scream, Aim, Fire', and the few that don't simply seem to fall into the category of 'filler songs' on this very confused and mixed up album. 'Fever's opening track, 'Your Betrayal', begins with an intro that any self respecting guitarist has heard a thousand times over, and sad to say, almost the whole album carries on this way - dry, overused chord progressions and unimaginative use of the two guitars let this track in particular down, but not as much as the lyrics and vocals do - the concepts and ideas behind 'Bullet's' lyrics seem to follow the same trend as their actual musical composition does - write, rinse and repeat. More on the lyrics later in the review. It is tracks such as 'Breaking Out, Breaking Down', 'Begging For Mercy' and 'Last Fight' that establish 'Fever' even further as a very predictable record in every sense of the word. Unfortunately, whilst the last two albums from this band have been very similar, neither have captured the energy and excitement that was clear throughout their dbut album, 'The Poison'. The tracks all seem to be very single layered, conceptually and musically, which is probably the only thing that has actually changed about 'Bullet' over the past few years, and quite frankly I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I miss how it used to be. The production on 'Fever' has to be questioned at times too, especially on tracks such as 'Alone' and title track 'Fever'. From my first few listens, the bass was practically unheard and the tone of the guitars is simply a clichd max-gain humbucker fest to epic proportions. It's issues like the mastering of the guitars and poor vocal recordings that makes 'Fever' suffer at times when it could have clearly pulled itself back into the domains of an above average album rather than a simple meltdown of everything we have heard before. The solos often seem weak and blurred - whether they lose their appeal through means of production or content, I'd say it's a mix of both. Nonetheless, disappointing guitar work on the whole. You'll hear the typical 'Bullet' harmonies and palm muted riffs on every track though, if that's your thing.

Quite simply put, I found the lyrics to be very basic and lacking in every context you exam them in. Highlights include title track 'Fever' which fall short very badly, simply seeming to be explaining a fourteen year old's first experience at a house party. Whether this was the bands intention I don't know, but if it was they've hit the nail on the head. Bar a couple of tracks, all the songs on 'Fever' also seem to be about the exact same thing - either liking a girl and she doesn't want to know, or liking a girl who is bad news. (Ring any bells? Yep, you guessed it - just like their first two albums.) I must be beginning to sound like a broken record, but everything on this album we have literally heard before and it's extremely disappointing from a personal point of view. I like to see artistic progression - and if this is what you are looking for, then 'Bullet for my Valentine's' new album is not the place to find it. All lyrics are seemingly blunt and to the point, but to an all new level. There are no clever uses of metaphors or simply even songs left to the listeners interpretation, but rather everything is made perfectly clear with the very bland writing technique that was used throughout 'Fever'. At times, (as mentioned before, especially on title track 'Fever') the lyrics are almost cringe worthy to listen to, so if you're into subtle messages cleverly explained through the means of poetry and song writing, you ain't gonna get it here.

Whilst I'm well aware I've been very negative about this album throughout the whole review, there are glimmers here that almost make 'Fever' more than just worthwhile, but a fair album. If you are a 'Bullet' fan and simply want more of what we've all heard in the past, you'll be in absolute bliss - this album was written for you. If, however, like me, you are looking for something slightly new and innovative from these Welsh rockers then you're going to be disappointed. As I mentioned before, there is still some appeal in 'Fever', albeit in small doses. 'Dignity' could almost sound like a track that didn't quite make it onto 'The Poison' - though like many of the songs on the album, poor lyrics and questionable production weaken the foundations of this stand out track. 'Bittersweet Memories' is reminiscent of 'Tears Don't Fall' at times, but never quite stands up next to the classic track that brought 'Bullet' onto the scene. In summary, 'Fever' is a very mediocre album at best. I realise I've written a lot of negative things in this review, but if I was to list the positives then there simply wouldn't be any point as I'm sure you've heard it all before with the previous two albums. Whilst parts of 'Fever' are enjoyable, it is safe to say that it doesn't equal 'Bullet for my Valentine's' past two works, and will not stand the test of time. There is fun to be had here for die hard fans, but for the rest of us, we can only hope for a more ambitious and innovative forth album.

dupaman
    blackmist's review was spot on, i wasn't just dissapointed by this album, i was horrified at how unoriginal and generic the whole thing was.
    Disturbed_EMG
    Personally, I hate the band this music make. The lyrics and themes involved in the songs are whiny and predictable. But, what more could be expected from a band named "Bullet for my Valentine"? I'm seriously NOT trying to be a dick here, but honestly... Could they have come up with a more cliche band name? It's because of shit like that that gets this style of music labelled as emo.
    Som3one
    Corey Taylor
    could have guessed it awhile ago. bullet hasn't changed. this is more of the same exact stuff they have always put out. its time for a change in sound boys!
    fuzzymunkee
    this cd is god damn terrible. I like these guys but after The Poison they went downhill. this is typical generic garbage followed by horrific lyrics written by a 13 year old boy.
    bass-boy-garith
    "the lyrics are very basic and lacking in every context you exam them in." "seeming to be explaining a fourteen year old's first experience at a house party." "all the songs on also seem to be about the exact same thing - either liking a girl and she doesn't want to know, or liking a girl who is bad news. (Ring any bells? Yep, you guessed it - just like their first two albums.)" "spew about shitty instruments and lack of bass" ...so nothings changed. At least people seem to have woken up to what a bad joke this band is. Hopefully they will go away now.
    MetalManic 666
    cdek12309 wrote: THESE REVIES SUCK!!! THIS ALBUM CHANGED MY LIFE!!! If you think it's terrible, your the biggest idiot on the earth. Seriously, no one can match these skills. LONG LIVE BULLET!!!!!
    ladies and gentlemen... i present a fanboy!!
    Yngwi3
    Distinctly average album imo. The only song I was really looking forward to (Pleasure And Pain) judging off the Youtube video where Matt was singing 'Who do you think you are?" in the choruses, Matt changed the lyrics and they're really, really bad, even for Matt's standards. Quite disappointed, but not surprised.
    CydoniaKnight95
    i completely agree with you
    laklok
    the Dustasaurus wrote: CydoniaKnight95 wrote: Hammerzeit wrote: You guys are being very harsh. Yes it's not the poison but this is no way a 5/10 album. It's more like a 6/7. Here's why: - At least 5 of the songs are better than anything on Scream Aim Fire. Hands down. - There aren't as many poor songs on here. There are some but all bar 4 of Scream Aim Fire was unacceptable and it immediatly outstrips that. Go back and listen to S.A.F after listening to this. You'll see the difference. This is better. S.A.F was a 5/10 album. This isn't. - The album is rammed with great riffs, and even if the lyrics are complete gash (standard bullet i'm afraid. IMO this is the one thing holding them back) the vocal melodies are much improved. For these reasons i'd give this more than 5/10. 6.5 or possibly 7. It's not a classic album but compared to their last album it's a triumph. i completely agree with you I definately agree with these guys. yes, the poison is and was a great album. and it will most likely always be their best. but, considering the poor quality of Scream Aim Fire....This album is definately a ****ing triumph.
    Absolutely agree with these dudes
    xCookieMonsterx
    SGplayer1991
    Blackmist..you mad? ya you mad. seriously this is a great album. I love it and I am a huge Bullet For My Valentine fan. I don't see why there is all this hate. This album shows that BFMV has matured and changed and to me change is a good thing
    Nick_porter333
    To me it sounds like a load of B sides from S.A.F (except the B sides fromt hat were awesome...) The rhyming in Bittersweet Memories os incredibly cringeworthy. The Last Fight and Breaking Out, Breaking Down are great, and Your Betrayal has a great chorus (but is let down by that god awful whispering)... To be honest, it's not that they havent varied their songwriting, it's the fact some of it is IDENTICAL in sound to previous tracks in palces, and to me that just shows they should have progressed a bit more. Personally, i will still say B4MV are still my favourite band, but at the same time, i will point new people to them, to the previous 3 offerings and tell them to avoid this for the most part....
    The Spoon
    This is much better than their last, and the riffs are much better as well. Still kind of generic though.
    JohnnyAllen93
    I don't understand why people are immediately labeling this as a shitty album. I wholeheartedly agree that The Poison was BFMV's best work, that much is certain. But that doesn't mean everything after that will be complete shit. Obviously SAF was inferior. A good number of the songs were too similar, but some of my favorite songs came from that album. It was a step ina faster paced, thrashier direction, which I greatly appreciated. And yeah, the lyrics were greatly similar throughout, but that's what Matt Tuck rights about! He enjoys writing about love and such (Valentine is in the band name people...) so leave him be. Fever is just another step in a new direction, and their next album will be another step, and another, until BFMV gets to where they want to be. And they're gonna go in the direction they choose regardless of what naysayers or supporters think.
    KSEjunkie2468
    Som3one wrote: What the hell is bullet doing? What happened with their work? The Poison was such an amazing album. Bullet, get bk to your old roots. Theres no feeling in this IMO. ((
    There's no feeling in this album? Are you absolutely out of your mind? Did you listen to the intense emotion in A Place Where You Belong? I bet over half of the people here didn't even hear the album and they're just being consumed with the mainstream bashing of this album all over this page. Is this album classic? No but it's great musical work. The Fever doesn't sound mostly upbeat like Scream Aim Fire and it sounds audibly more mature. People who say this album is shit just don't like the mature side of BFMV. They want the teenage angst fueled "The Poison" back so they can wallow around being emo and listening to teenage emo metal and A7X and My Chemical Romance and all that bullshit. Just be a little damn open minded to this band. Sure there are flaws but this is music.
    bass-boy-garith
    xCookieMonsterx wrote: bullet isnt a bunch of TRUE metal fans or whatever else you fags call yourself. they're true MUSIC fans and they play whatever sounds good to them without giving a s*** about what genre you lock them into...
    Doesn't matter what genre they are, they're still garbage.
    fade2dust
    I think it's quite ironic that from the comments I've read here everybody rates the poison as their best but it got pretty badly slated by critics. It shows that nothing beats the excitement and energy that comes from making music like you get on a debut album. I've liked elements of all of bullets work but I feel like they are overthinking the music too much. Every song on the fever feels overthought and too much emphasis has been placed on creating the perfect hook or chorus. I'm sure this will sell very well however and I look forward to their next effort.
    GregAshby
    niejel wrote: it's not really a terrible album, but it was a predictable one. no change. the poison was better. I is disappointed. :c
    The poison was there best album...
    breakinggrace
    I say that "Fever" is pretty freaking Awesome. They have that unique sound that just captures attention. BMFV 4EVER!!!!!
    mpastrick
    This is just another album in BFMV's career that will be studied for the future. Just like The Poison and Scream Aim Fire were extremely different, so is this. I think BFMV is still yet to completely establish a consistency and i expect their future stuff to just keep getting more experienced and continue to mix things up until theyre right where they wanna be. But its a great album in my opinion. I love it
    guitarsftw
    metalman1992 wrote: you want to bitch about something, y dont you bitch about the "mainstream" pop and rap bullshit that seams to be clouding the music world. Everytime you go into a store anymore all it is is that shit, Finally there is more than shit to listen to , and everyone is pissed. you guys are just lucky bfmv made a new album, if they heard ur comments, they'd probably tell u to **** off!
    There has ALWAYS been music that isn't mainstream. And compared to most artists, BFMV are pretty mainstream. I'm not using the term "mainstream" to imply negativity, many of my musical favorites fall into that category. No band is immune to criticism. Accepting something to be as good as it will get when it comes to art leads to a lack of positive progression.
    xCookieMonsterx
    this album was bullets good old way of saying f*** you we do what songs we like. i think its great. the vocal work was more worked on and the guitars gave it the same old bullet style.
    likelight2bodom
    you people need to get over comparing albums to other albums, its f***** annoying...take the albums for how it is and how a band progress's. in my opinion, this album is awesome. this disc has great guitar work, drumming is sweet, and the vocals are bullet-style vocals. i mean what more do you want from a band. bands evolve just like any person does, it may sound like nothing new, but it's got the same style as anything they've produced and that's what certain people (like myself) love about bands like this. its just new material with the same band style and like i said, what more do you want.
    JunKDepot
    I found myself quickly bored with this album and as a whole let down from it. The only good songs were the first and the last...and fever has a certain charm...like a special child who just doesn't get what he's doing wrong. Though to make myself feel better i listened to Born Of Osiris's "A higher place" and was cured of this horrid fever...cheesy, this i know.
    Xomar
    Look at the past- the beastie boys, blink 182, the list goes on. Whatever bands play their genre of music the closest to mainstream make the most money and get the most hype. the beastie boys were the first rap group to hit number 1 on the charts, that's because they were the most mainstream. Blink 182 was hated by true punk fans, so was the new Green day, that's just how it works, how it has worked, and how it will always be. True metal fans will hate this album, but it WILL be popular and they WILL make tons of $$ from it.
    skilletfan17
    From the few songs I've heard from this album, I really like it, and am going to go buy the album.
    shockdoctor92
    while it isnt a huge step up overall from scream aim fire, their biggest stride has been in the vocals. matt has really stepped it up in both his singing and screaming, working with melissa cross helped a lot.
    ciadude2
    Bullet has always had terrible lyrics. It's all essentially teenage angst stuff for the emo kids to pretend they're deep while singing along to it. That being said, I've always loved their instruments even if the vocals were sub-par at best. I didn't think this album was terrible, but I didn't think it was great. I'll agree with anyone who wants to give it a 7/10. How many more times are we going to sing about a girl though? Just my 2 cents.
    espplayer400
    i wish they would just go back to making more music that sounded like theyd be off of the poison... ive lost hope in this band
    JP Oliver
    metalman1992 wrote: you want to bitch about something, y dont you bitch about the "mainstream" pop and rap bullshit that seams to be clouding the music world. Everytime you go into a store anymore all it is is that shit, Finally there is more than shit to listen to, and everyone is pissed. you guys are just lucky bfmv made a new album, if they heard ur comments, they'd probably tell u to **** off!
    This is a discussion of the new album released by Bullet for my Valentine, not "'mainstream' rap and bullshit." If you're upset about what people are thinking about this album on this page, don't read it. When I heard the singles, I thought there was some potential for a decent album, albeit the cliche lyric style BFMV has. After checking out some of their other songs today, I am disappointed. I haven't found either SAF or Fever to be as interesting as The Poison. Maybe they ran out of all their good ideas after one album.
    VeNgeaNce_4444
    you guys must have been listenin to a different album. Fever is a bit disapointing, but its not as crap as you guys make it out to be. I think that BFMV came along way from The Poison. Some of the songs on this album are amazing. Your Betrayal, Begging for Mercy and The Last Fight are great songs. And sure their lyrics are a bit repetitive, but so are virtualy all other bands.
    Space frog
    I'm sorry but I liked the music on the Poison, lyrics didn't bother me that much, Scream Aim Fire was okay, but man, I heard the two first songs from Fever, and honestly ― well, first, the cover is horrible ― the music is so generic that all I could hear was the vocals and I was disgusted when I heard them clearly sing "she's so beautiful on her knees rip those clothes off you make me lose control". come on. Seriously.
    Nevermind_Child
    this album beats scream aim fire hands down, its a huge step forward in the fact there isnt a song on this one i dont like and cant listen to over and over. Yes it might not be as heavy as the poison but doesnt that in itself show the band isnt sounding the same? they are getting better in my opinion, just need to work on the lyrics at bit.
    KLanh
    hahaha why would some of you want all albums from a band to be the same?! I think Fever is good, not to say S.A.F and The Poison were bad, all three are great, they're just different from each other. The same issue seems to be the complaint with Atreyu, "they're not metal anymore" - well as they've mentioned in interviews, you can't do the same thing over and over...
    Vedicardi
    All that means is that the last album should have been rated even lower
    w77yyz
    If you not heard any of their previous work, this album would garner a great deal of attention. Obviously the diehard fans will love anything BFMV put out, but I have to say that this just feels like they have found a sound and song formula that they are comfortable with and have just cranked out another version of the Poison. I like most of the tracks, but don't hear a lot of progression of their work, so that in itself is a bit disappointing. I'll take it, but was expecting hear something that progresses from the last one.
    Thysios
    Listening to Fever right now. Not liking it a whole lot. One part actually reminded me of Nickelback. Random I know but hey it did. "Come here you naughty girl you're such a tease You look so beautiful down on your knees Keep on those high heel shoes rip off all your clothes You smell so ****ing good it makes me lose control!" Can't say that bit was very good. Lyrics, and just how it sounded. Though I am personally not a big fan of sware words in songs. Sounds lazy and immature. Not a terrible song. Could have been much better. Still got my hopes up for this album Lets see how the rest of it turns out.
    Thysios
    Much better than Scream Aim Fire. But coming from me that doesn't mean much. BFMV were my favourite band up until I first heard Scream Aim Fire. This album is better though, it's pretty much what I expected. A lot like their old stuff and it has a BFMV 'feel' to it. When I personally like. Although the lyrics might be 'generic' and what not, it still sounds good and I don't find the lyrics to be BAD or anything. Sure, they're average but they don't suck. Haven't listened to all the songs yet so hopefully it gets better. But all it all it's mostly what I expected. I think a lot of people also don't like it BECAUSE it's similar to their old stuff, so you tend to get a bit sick of the same old thing. (Similar to an extent) Oh well, just my $0.02 Hope they come back to Australia soon . OH and I haven't heard Fever yet, but I agree with Space Frog that the line "she's so beautiful on her knees rip those clothes off you make me lose control" sounds pretty bad...
    emmicKs
    YA that's what i want to hear. +10 for you having a common sense.