Fever review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Apr 26, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Bullet for My Valentine: Fever

After being a big fan with their previous 2 albums. Even "Scream Aim Fire" was a really good album, with "Poison" defines Bullet. Their newest records, "Fever", didn't pack the bass, riffs and solos that the previous albums delivered. Especially from my experiences. The first 3 songs in the album, "Your Betrayal", "Fever" and "The Last Fight", sounded just like Bullet, what they are famous for with heavy riffs and drum beats. But there are certainly no surprise, at all, in these songs, all of it felt like it had been done a thousand times. The album still packs ballads such as "A Place Where You Belong", "Bittersweet Memories", which resembles "Say Goodnight", which is certainly, IMO, the stronger part of this album. However, not much credit can be given when the rest isn't what we expected it to be.

The lyrics, where all of it seems to go wrong. All 11 tracks in the album is based on lust, hatred according to Matt. But again, Bullet might fall mainstreams right here in this part. Screaming is certainly weaker compare to even "Scream Aim Fire". I won't deny Matt vocal is still really good, but the producer has certainly overproduced and lyrics fall short.

Bullet for my Valentine has lost their original sound. Saying "The Poison" is a 10 for Bullet, "Scream Aim Fire" is a 9 and "Fever" only deserves a 6 at most. "Scream Aim Fire" had much more punch, better riffs and solos. But I do think the change of producer, to Don Gilmore, is where Bullet's problem lies. Don Gilmore has converted previously good Linkin Park, into a mediocre mainstream rock band, a rocking Good Charlotte into a pop-rock band. He had done it with Bullet too. Most of the tracks in this album fall into mainstream, with boring riffs and chord progression in the chorus. However, despite that, there is still a few worth listening tracks such as "Fever", "The Last Fight", "Alone" or "A Place Where You Belong", are my personal favourite out of the album. The album isn't a step forward but seems like a step back for Bullet, I really hope they see and correct it with their next album, with a different producer.