Fever review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Apr 26, 2010
Bullet for My Valentine: Fever

I have been listening to BFMV ever since the poison was released so, this review might be a little biased but I'm going to try to be as honest as possible with it. I think the sound for this album was a little different than Scream Aim and Fire was and The Poison but it still kept the same BFMV characteristics too it as well. The guitar work is amazing essecially on "Alone", "Pleasure and Pain", "Begging for Mercy" and "Fever" in my opinion the four best true "metalcore" songs on the album. All four are put together beautifully both lyrically and instrumentaly. However, there are some differences in the album that are new but not necessarily bad things for Bullet. Some of the songs such as "Pretty On The Outside" and "The Last Fight" don't exactly sound like BFMV but still are performed well and introduce a new side of BFMV that we have never seen. On the other hand many fans including myself enjoy the sound from The Poison and Scream Aim and Fire more and relate BFMV to that sound, the new sound is good but it's not completely BFMV.

The lyrics in the song almost had the same theme for the whole album which is OK considering that each song had its own sound to it. Songs such as "Pretty On The Outside" and "Fever" were wrote in my opinion about a girl who is beautiful on the outside but bitter on the inside while the song "A Place Where You Belong" seemed to be wrote about someone who left and how the person left longs to be with them. The lyrics and instruments go well together and show BFMV's skills at putting together songs to make everyone of them capable of being a single. Matt Tuck's voice is still amazing even after surgery and hopefully will hold up the rest of his career and keep making album's with Bullet for my Valentine.

The album Fever compared to the first two albums shows Bullet's softer side and shows that they can put together a solid album with diversity on it and still not be afraid to try something new. The new album gives fans a chance to see a different side of Bullet never seen before. I can't really choose my favorite or most hated song because to me they're all good, each one has their own unique sound to it which makes the album cool. I like how they tried to explore something new and be creative but they kinda lack their old sound. I don't mind that they don't sound the same because it would get boring hearing the same type of songs over and over again. I would recommend this album to anyone who was a Bullet for my Valentine fan before or just basically anyone, Fever is a great album and I will not be bored of listening to it for a long time.

MetalFan09
    great album ive been listening to this every day since it came out. Sure some of the lyrics are kinda dodgy but overall it is a top metal album
    Smokinjoerules1
    Am i the only person here who thinks the whispering in Your Betrayal was ok, better than just screaming all the way thru most songs like on 'the poison'
    Smokinjoerules1
    BSM1 wrote: squallerrleon wrote: It's only been out for a day and it's already the worst thing ever? Did everbody already forget aboot Nickelback? XD ur right
    Well actually if any of u guys have heard Nickelbacks heavier stuff, its more metallic than Metallica in places, listen to side of a bullet and beleive it or not
    adamchafee
    I thought this album was great but i miss the badassness of the poison... I miss the days Matt could scream clearly, before he got the surgery. If they could bring that back that would be great
    Corandy
    Very bad album Much the same but then worse overall Lyrics are bad, guitar riffs are less in my opinion and the solo's are 5times easier?? not that more difficult solo's are always better, most time not but this is very dissapointing. But The Last Fight is a good song thought
    indyrock91
    took me a while, but I really dig this album. Your betrayal is such a badass song. It's no poison, but better than scream aim fire
    the_burning_one
    Im the kind of guy that will only put in his two cents if he has listened to the entire album. well i have, and i can say with confidence and pride, that it blows a huge load. the lyrics that sum up this album are, "And now i ****ing hate you! with all of my heart!" really? farewell bfmv. ive given up on you.
    slaytanic407
    the album was very much a big step and explored new aspects of their writing style, greattt album
    lfc_mosher
    To be perfectly honest i wonder wheather im listening to the same album as some people. this is the first album they have released properly in a studio environenment since matt had his operation and his voice is sounding better than ever, the acoustic version of the last fight is an incredible example. this album is about exploring some different options for the boys and tbh the riffs are some of there best, alone is incredible and i think the only trully weak track is bittersweet memories. each song has a fantastic riff or melody and the solos are beautiful, everyone fits perfectly with the song and the multiple layers of synth strings and vocals are unbelievable if you listen hard enough, clearly some people havent listened hard enough because they cant hear them. thats the real secret of this album,the musicianship is amazing, and there is certianly nothing wrong with the production either, everything is clear and sounds fantastic. the only let down really is the lyrics, and tbh there actually pretty good too, not the best thing about bullet, but i think there working on that and the lyrical musical and productional content is such a huge step up from scream aim fire, scream is no where near as strong.what alot of people havent realised is that matt has said in his interviews is that they stripped the songs down to make them simple, but they compensate with the layers underneath the tracks, and the riffs are amazing. matts voice is sounding its best, more guttural vocals from matt in future i hope but this is definitley a progression album. there will be even better to come, that i am sure of. just really absorb this album before rating it, theres far too much criticism, and reviews should be about the music and the album, not the genre or wheather there lryics are typical. the musical content is immense. negaitivity is not the way to go about it, we dont want another band we want bullet, and this album is all bullet, and a very strong effort. 9 out of 10 for me.
    ForgotForgive
    This album is pretty good but I was expecting more like the poison which is still my favourite album by Bullet. Most of my friends hate this album because it isn't really the Bullet from the poison because the poison had some pretty epic songs like Tears Dont Fall and All These Things I Hate.
    bfmv_4_ever
    dude one of the unregistered users 4 got a place where you belong on the track list
    bfmv_4_ever
    OH YEAH....and great albumn could of had more screaming but im happy with what i have.
    Reevo
    I personally liked this album a bit more than SAF but it is true that some songs were kinda predictable, but it is still an album to crank up loud and piss the neighborhood off with lol. Fav song is probably Pretty on the Outside, yeah we've all heard songs about the same topic, but none have had such an emotional impact. I know plenty of people who have been played by a selfish cold hearted B*tch and can easily relate to this song. A place where you belong, Alone, Bittersweet Memories, and Begging for Mercy were pretty sick too, not as hardout as their old stuff, but pretty sweet too. Fever lacked a sense of meaning to me after listening to the lyrics in the bridge, and Your Betrayal was a great hook into the album i reckon, enough to make you get up in the middle of class and head bang like crazy. Ah well just my opinion but still it is a good album.
    the_burning_one
    synrodrigogates wrote: i dont want to sound like a fanboy but i think that is an awesome album and, if you dont like it, what are you doing here? These four words might help Just go **** yourself!!!!!
    to be more awesome, you should have said, "FOUR WORDS TO CHOKE UPON" first. and thats five words. fag.
    blakewaters23
    why do people get so crazy when a band sounds like there self? People saying this sounds like the poison do realize it is the same band right. If i go and see them in concert i want to hear BFMV songs not there new stuff that sounds like goo goo dolls which what sounds like what some people want. I wanted another BFMV album and thats what they delivered.
    puremetal11
    **** i hate album reviews, they get so annoying with all the back and forths between fans and critics
    STifF92
    BSM1 wrote: Hammerzeit wrote: You guys are being very harsh. Yes it's not the poison but this is no way a 5/10 album. It's more like a 6/7. Here's why: - At least 5 of the songs are better than anything on Scream Aim Fire. Hands down. - There aren't as many poor songs on here. There are some but all bar 4 of Scream Aim Fire was unacceptable and it immediatly outstrips that. Go back and listen to S.A.F after listening to this. You'll see the difference. This is better. S.A.F was a 5/10 album. This isn't. - The album is rammed with great riffs, and even if the lyrics are complete gash (standard bullet i'm afraid. IMO this is the one thing holding them back) the vocal melodies are much improved. For these reasons i'd give this more than 5/10. 6.5 or possibly 7. It's not a classic album but compared to their last album it's a triumph. i agree. its no "The Poison" but it's sure as hell better that SAF
    Come here you naughty girl you're such a tease You look so beautiful down on your knees Keep on those high heel shoes rip off all your clothes You smell so ****ing good it makes me lose control!
    puremetal11
    u guys just preach that u have a right to review these bands so harshly but are so ****ing biased towards genres you dont like, basically u say things like "this album was a big disappointment, but metalcore/deathcore is the worst music ever and is the only thing worse than this
    Mr_Cbone93
    j_link13 wrote: Question for everyone saying that the riffs are amazed and ignoring everyone else saying they're rehashed..... What is a good riff to you?
    its either catchy or it makes me bang my head. and incase your inclined to reply, your opinion matters not at all to me
    Slim Flakey
    People should stop comparing it to their past stuff, its a different style =\ you can't call it bad for that reason. They made the album to sound how they wanted it to.. Personally, i love the album, just wish it had more songs.
    ABR Is Ear Rape
    A few good moments.. maybe only 3-4 songs worth multiple listens however.. ill give it a very mediocre 5/10, maybe just because im still high on these guys from their first album. This reminds me of when Atreyu released Lead Sails Paper Anchor after awesome albums like "The Curse"(one of my all time faves) and everyone was like WTF..same song different verse here. Atreyu has yet to get their balls back hopefully BFMV regains their edge..
    DoomsDave
    http://music.einnews.com/article.php?nid... Nobody who releases an album (A hard rock one at that) of our generation, and sells that much, cannot and will not, suck. They're too heavy or they're too light for you or you don't like the vocals (which are at their best here I think), but that doesn't dismantle the integrity of the album. I found it was very well produced and, original for "them" in the vision they saw fit to alter their sound. Kind of their way of saying "Okay, well we gave you two albums that probably sound more similar to one another than this one, so we're due for some creativity switch-ups". Think of Linkin Park's "Minutes To Midnight" in contrast". Well produced but a severing of the balls. The evidence is irrefutable no matter who disagrees.
    BSM1
    i agree. its no "The Poison" but it's sure as hell better that SAF
    BSM1
    XD ur right
    STifF92
    i do respect the effort this album has taken, the hard work and so on. BUT FEVER IS NEVER EVER BETTER THAN SCREAM AIM FIRE!! saf has a lot more harder riffs and cathy songs!! the solos are pretty lame. they don't show padge's real skills! and the excerpt of the lyrics above... common dude... that's kinda 50-cent or something like that.
    gcahill27
    Not sure if a comment left this late will be read but here goes. I loved SAF, it was much more mature-sounding than the Poison. Fever goes back to the Poison-esque emo-ish lyrics which is annoying and cheesy at times (The guys are in their 30s for christ sake!). There are a few good tracks on it but overall it's nowhere near SAF or the Poison unfortunately. Tuck needs to mix it up for the next one, it's like they have no concept of what sounds cheesy or something. Whispering in the betrayal? "I can feel your you fever taking over"? ... yeah... then again "Breaking Out, Breaking Down" is brilliant so I dunno what to think. To conclude, well worth a listen if you liked their the previous stuff, otherwise give it a miss
    queenslander47
    I've finally had a chance to listen to this album. I saw somebody on here say that this album is "safe" and I have to agree. BFMV have delivered an album the fans will enjoy, but there certainly isn't any new ground to be found here. Personally that doesn't really bother me. I don't care if a band sticks to their sound. Sometimes 'evolving' doesn't work and people wish the band had just stuck to their guns. This album has its moments, I actually like the simple more melodic lead playing, but it certainly has moments which I would be embarrassed to have blasting in my car as a I drive around (some of the lyrics and melodies are just to girly for my liking). All in all, a solid album. 6.5/10. BFMV fanatics will love it.
    olheiser01
    So far to me Fever is good but just average for BFMV. After coming off of Poison which was amazing, and Scream Aim Fire which wasn't bad, was kind of a let down. The guitar is so basic and nothing different than cliche metal. i like the singing and rythms of the songs but the energy, innovation, and suprise was not there. Its not that just because the Poison is heavier is what it makes it the best album by them but because every song had its own guitar, its own singing, and own feel. it was full of energy and excitement that Fever couldn't live up to. IMO, I think with talent like that in a band, you could come up with some sick riffs and innovated music that would blow ppl away every album.
    TheSickness13
    Im gonna open this by saying BMFV are four of the most amazing people that have walked on this earth... Yeah fever was great, but it didnt deserve all the hype it recieved. It was still an amazing album and i bought it in a second, but i was expecting more.
    jjband93
    idk y alot of ppl are saying this album is weak when i thought is was cool. well i dont care wat other ppl say but i like this album
    Lasthavoc
    Whether the numerical value is high or low, all of the reviews seem to be saying generally the same thing...BFMV's latest rendition gives fans more of their trademark sound, but ultimately plays this album very safe. How you decide to feel about that is up to you. But while the songs may be catchy and more melodic it's hard not to notice how much some tunes resemble their older hits. Many of them are in the same key and use chords the band has played since the beginning. Such as Dignity, which is a very catchy song, but may owe this to the fact that it's constructed so similarly to older songs of there's. The main riff is in the same tempo and key as Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow. The Pre-Chorus uses the same chords from Tears Don't Fall's chorus and Hearts Burst into Fire's main riff. And the verse is built from many of the same chords from Tears Don't Fall and Deliver us from Evil...basically many of the songs from Fever sound like reconstructed versions of their older tracks. If you like their past music then many of you simply won't care and will just enjoy it for what it is. However, many others will be a bit peeved that they didn't strive for progression and more unique riffs. While I am a little disappointed not to see them try something new, I also know that more complex riffs and technical skills don't necessarily make for a better song. When you look at Killswitch Engage's newest self title album, it's probably the most technical variety and complexity in any of their albums, however, this doesn't make it their strongest either. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't step out of your comfort zone once in a while. Overall, solid catchy tunes, but more of the same and lacking in creativity and improvement.
    synrodrigogates
    legend shredder
    after a few more listens, this album has grown on me. i enjoy this album alot, but its still only decent. question, what happened to matt and page's harmonised guitar riffs that BFMV is so famous for? I heard none on this album.
    Viotto
    I own all BFMV studio albums and I listen to them a lot. In my opinion: - Hand of Blood EP and The Poison : a masterpiece of emo / metalcore music, I like it a lot. - Scream Aim Fire and its bonus tracks: good work, but not as good as The Poison. - Fever: not bad, but worse than The Poison and SAF plus many songs are too much similar to other songs of them. I like most only the first 3 songs!