Fever review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Apr 26, 2010
Bullet for My Valentine: Fever

As a fan of BFMV I was very excited for this album, Waited what seemed like forever to see what road they would take next. After listening to the album endless amounts of times and watching few interviews with the band the comment that describes this album well is a comment made my Matt tuck "the album is the son of The Poison and Scream aim fire" which pretty much sums it up. This album is a good balance between the emotional and aggresive sound heard in the first two albums but decreasing the technical aspect of the music to let Tuck's vocals prove the critics wrong. 01. Your Betrayal - A very heavy long intro which does seem to go on forever but once the song begins it is the song that i think a lot of Bullet fans wanted them to make. (dark and creepy etc.) 02. Fever - Title track doesn't quite live up to the hype in my opinion but it is definitely a fun and different song from Bullet. A quiet surprise if you like. 03. The Last Fight - This song has it all to me; Awesome riffs, amazing vocals and harmonies, fast tempo, and a nice solo. 04. A Place Where you Belong - A cool acoustic ballad sort of style to it. Quite dark and sinister but a great softer track to add contrast. 05. Pleasure And Pain - Played live before the albums release, i like the fact that it's a very simple song and the vocal melody is awesome. 06. Alone - Muiscally, the most technical and impressive song on the album. Very old school metal feel to it. Probably general fans' favourite. 07. Breaking Out, Breaking Down - A song with a simple aim: Catchy vocal lines and old school 80's metal riffage, one of my favourites, great breakdown section. 08. Bittersweet Memories - The most radio-friendly song on the album, will be a great single no doubt. Again like the other softer track on the album, a nice, slow and likeable song. 09. Dignity - The song that sounds most like older Bullet tracks, One of my favourites on the album love the initial harmonized riff and the lonesome harmonized vocals in the verse are a nice touch. 10. Begging For Mercy - One of the heaviest tracks on the album. Shows that Tuck can still scream and that Bullet can still do what people call "real" metal. Solo is a bit odd but the pinch harmonics are a different approach I guess. 11. Pretty On The Outside - The finisher definitely doesn't disappoint, An awesome all out metal-feast throughout the roaring verses and possibly one of the catchiest chorus's Bullet have written.

Lyrically, The album is decent. A little confusing and dissonant at times but still solid I guess. Expect usual themes of loss, death, relationships etc. The lyrics aren't totally original or anything new but the strength lies within the singing itself. The vocals are probably the best thing about the album, Matt tuck has proven that he can still sing/scream like holy hell and is one of the best musicians in modern metal when it comes down to melodies and catchy chorus lines. Almost perfect besides the actual content.

This album to me, doesn't show massive improvements in musical or technical ability, but from a songwriting perspective and a marketing perspective, this album is fantastic. This album shows that bullet can write epic-sounding metal songs that appeal to quite a broad audience and still maintain an aggresive sound that their older "hardcore" fans will appreciate. In my opinion all of the people arguing that Bullet For My Valentine have sold out are wrong and have misunderstood the reasoning for this album. This album was made for the sole purpose of BFMV enjoying writing and performing the music they want to and sharing it with their fans and introducing their sound to different audiences. This music just happens to be some of the very best of modern metal.

ST/-\LK3R
    The best I'd say is "Betrayal" and Fever the album wasn't that good. Most of the songs are basically based on "Scream Aim Fire" and "The Poison". If they are going to make another album all I hope is that it'll be way better than any heavy albums that ever lived in this planet called Earth
    Iamzylok
    [Black Mist said][/so if you're into subtle messages cleverly explained through the means of poetry and song writing, you ain't gonna get it here. // 2 ] Nice to finally see someone with a high standard for lyrics on this site.
    !SOAD!
    Fever and Your Betrayal happens to be the only good songs on the album. To be honest I think it's a great album but I'll only listen to it for a week and then throw it away. Hand of Blood EP was the best so far. Can't wait the next album but if it sucks then I'm afraid they should go on hiatus
    SGofawesome
    I still don't understand. I personally thought Scream Aim Fire was a masterpiece, and The Poison was the worse one. I still love The Poison, but it's just a more emo record than the other two. Fever is really good if you listen to it at once. There are some great staples on that album, like Begging For Mercy and The Last Fight, along with the obvious Your Betrayal and Fever. Scream Aim Fire was just heavier. That's why I like it. It may not have stuck with BMFV's roots, but I still consider it a thrash classic. I mean, Scream Aim Fire, Waking the Demon, Eye of the Storm, and Hearts Burst Into Fire are all spectacular. I can understand some people are a tad butthurt because they didn't stick to their guns, but sometimes you should change for the better. Glad they did, I still think Scream and Fever beat out the Poison. I do love Tears Don't Fall and All These Things I Hate though.