Hand Of Blood review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Aug 23, 2005
Bullet for My Valentine: Hand Of Blood

Great sound. They fit in perfectly with the metalcore genre. There is a healthy combination of singing and screaming, and enough solos to keep you satisfied for a week. The guitar is harmonized in almost all of the songs on this six-song CD. The songs aren't too long, or too short. They're just long enough so you won't much more, but they're not so long that you get bored of them. Here's a brief review of each song: 01. 4 Words (To Choke Upon) - shows the talent of everyone in the band. The drumming is crazy, the guitar is fast-paced, the singing goes from singing to screaming suddenly, and the bass keeps up with everyone excellently. 02. Hand Of Blood - great song. The intro scared the crap out of me the first time I heard it (as it fades in). But nonetheless my favorite song on this CD, and not disappointing. 03. Cries In Vain - very bubbly clean intro, until the distortion comes in. I haven't been able to mimic the bubbliness of the intro yet. Changes moods suddenly, and always keeps you guessing. 04. Curses - clean in the begining, but changes suddenly with powerful distorted chords at 1:22. Gotta love this song. 05. No Control - the heaviest song on this short CD. However, it confuses me when there is sining in the background, but screaming over that. But it's very cool nonetheless. 06. Just Another Star - very cool harmonized intro. It then goes into a rap/screaming verse, followed by "Jump, jump, jump, jump!" I'd love to see this song live, and see how pumped the crowd is when they do this song. Another one of my favorites on this CD.

Very well thought out lyrics, and can apply to everyone's life at one point or another. Such as these lyrics from Curses: "If you saw the world through my eyes, then you wouldn't feel so high-rise". No Control seems to be about an abusive husband, "I scream into your face until my veins are bursting through, I have no control". Just Another Star has excellent lyrics, none of which I can understand. Hand of Blood is about regret for killing a girlfriend/wife, "There goes my Valentine again, soaked in red for what she said, oh my god have I done it again?" Cries In Vain is about cries being in vain. 4 Words (To Choke Upon) is about these four words: "Look at me now!" I haven't quite figured out what this song is about, but it's definetely about those four words. The singing is great, and the screaming isn't senseless, you can actually understand what the screaming is.

I bought this because it was the only one by Bullet For My Valentine in the store at the time, and it was only $7. Comparing them to other metalcore bands, they rank high. They combine singing and screaming, where as other bands (such as Trivium) just scream all the time. I loved the songs "Hand Of Blood" and "Just Another Star". In my opinion, they are the best songs on the CD. I have (after buying this) decided to purchase The Poison by Bullet For My Valentine, and now I wish I would have bought The Poison first. But a great thing about buying this is that it has about three songs that aren't on The Poison. I would strongly recommend buying at least "Hand of Blood" and "Just Another Star". But as far as the "bang for your buck" goes. I listen to all the tracks repeatedly, but I could have gotten it cheaper on iTunes.

phoenix_igniton
    Bullet is not thrash....Theyre metalcore w/ a touch of post hardcore (in vocals). Get this right, because theyre nothing like thrash.
    Craigo
    They say that they perfer older bands such as metallica. They started off being a ONLY metallica cover band. Their EP is a million times better than their debut full length, even if I have grown out of this stuff. Less pop on this stuff.