Scream Aim Fire review by Bullet for My Valentine

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jan 25, 2008
  • Sound: 10
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.7 (462 votes)
Bullet for My Valentine: Scream Aim Fire
2

Sound — 10
Ok, I could go on and talk about how I think this is one of the best releases in the last 10 years, but you guys don't want to hear my shit so I'm gonna TRY to be unbiased here and just give some facts to help you understand about the CD. The sound is a lot different but not completely different from The Poison. There are some screams here and there but not every other sentence, which in my opinion is exactly what this band needed, I like The Poison but if they did another album like The Poison it would be too repetitive for my tastes and plus I like hearing Matt sing! The heaviest song is Waking The Demon which has loads of screams like the classic bullet stuff. The mellowest song is probably Say Goodnight, which is one of my favorites on the entire CD. I read somewhere on here that the mellower stuff on this CD is where bullet really shines and that is definatly true! It's great to see some different sides to bullet musically. If you liked bullet from the start you will love this CD. If you love all the screaming and heavyness The Poison offered and you thought Trivium's Crusade album sucked (haha), you'll think this album sucks! I personally think the sound of this album is a 10. The songs aren't all heavy love songs like from The Poison they are much more thought out and the outcome is great. The guitar work is also really good on this album, the intro on Deliver Us From Evil is killer! Even the riffs are more thought out this time around.

Lyrics — 8
The weakest point of this album is the lyrics. I don't like to admit this because I'm a fanboy. But if you listen to the lyrics to Scream Aim Fire that pretty much will give you an idea about the rest of the lyrics on the album. They don't suck, they're not the best and they are a little better then average. As for the vocal performances I gotta say I love hearing people sing more then I do scream! And there is definatly more singing then screaming on this CD. The best song vocal wise is probably Take It Out On Me, Say Goodnight or Forever And Always. It's hard for me to pick one out of those bunch. Matt can make his voice sound so different! If you like Metallicaish vocals then you'll like most of the vocals on this album.

Overall Impression — 9
I really want to give this album a 10, but I don't want to be too much of a fanboy! Ok here is my opinion: this album kills The Poison, the songs are much more thought out in depth, there are a variety of sounds on the album, and ofcourse the guitar work is awesome! I can't pick a favorite song off of this album, they are all awesome in their own right. Here are some facts. The album is not heavier then The Poison, but this only depends on what your definition of heavy is. If your definition of heavy is screaming then no this album is not heavier. If you thought Trivium, Lostprophets, and Funeral For A Friend's first albums were better and each CD got worse and worse you'll most likely think the same thing about this album. If you thought the only thing wrong with The Poison was that the songs were all the same you will be pleased with this album. Hopefully I helped you understand what the CD is like and stuff. I think it's definatly worth a listen from everyone! Go bullet!

39 comments sorted by best / new / date

    pirate_shanty
    bring back the days of the EP and hand of blood...this new album is ok. i see why people like this but as you listen to the album it gets shitter and shitter!
    Gregray88
    Kiotaka, your a douche. Trivium > BFMV. That is besides the point. Stop argueing. This is for SAM, not how much bettr trivium is than bullet.
    xXx0IceMan0xXx
    lol I love all of the bitching about screaming. Like vox matter. I actually listen to metal for the music. Yeah, good vox are nice but they dont make or break a band in my opinion. Screaming,singing, it's all good. Anyway, Scream Aim Fire was better than The Poison by FAR imo.
    shroomhound
    I think bullet just tried a little too hard with this one. They have clearly progressed in their instrumental ability, but they just try to show it off way too much. There are too many guitar layers and they seriously should have held back on the drumming a bit - i mean just because there is a bit of space it is not necessary to put a drum fill. It all just overwhelms the vocals too much. Something is different about Matt's voice, raspier maybe? Whatever it is, it was better before. I think this album would have been so much better if it was a little emptier. Bullet seem to have forgotten that simplicity is the key to great music. That's not to say I didn't like the album, it's just faster, heavier and more intense than their previous work. Lyrically it is not as good, but so few people care about lyrics now so they probably felt little pressure to excel in that area. I think their needs to be a resurgence in quality lyrics and vocals, they are just as important (if not more important) than the instrumentals. I mean, think how damn good bands like Tool, Devin Townsend and Opeth are - kick arse lyrics and music. It's important, like good towel advice!!!
    NEVA DIE \m/
    It's Trivium with a worse singer. Same rythyms. Same drum fills. Same solos. Boring...
    Kiotaka
    I wonder why people who hate Bullet come in here? I seriously don't understand why just because a band gets popular people gotta bash 'em. This has happened to bands like MCR, Senses fail, and many more. Look, I own over 500 CD's (If you think I'm BSing I'll be glad to name them off to you) and this CD is one of the better ones, if you guys knew what was really out there and just compared you'd see that this is WAY better than a lot of stuff out there. And for the guys who mention trivium, trivium doesn't come anywhere close to these guys. Have you guys ever listened to their stuff. Bullet repetetive and having the same riffs??? Try listening to Trivuim and then this. I did, it wasn't the same.
    AJigga34576
    Hahah I love how all you people complain about the album, had any of you actually listened to it you would have realized 'Forever and Always' is a rip off of Journey's 'Faithfully' (even if you are not a Journey fan, I am not, but everyone has heard that song at least one point in their life without realizing it)
    Kiotaka
    Like hell Trivium is better! lol pretty boring band imo (and yes apc-ibanez, sounding like trivium is a bad thing). And because I corrected you I'm a douche? I've already stated my opinion on SAF (not SAM), and if you read all the comments, you'd see a large amount of them with Trivium in it. I was clearly trying to state that BFMV and trivium shouldn't be compared. This just proves you don't research what you talk about...again
    dio_dude
    metal_maniac#1 wrote: Im seriously fu-king sick of people saying that just because a vocalist doesnt use full on screams or growls in metal, that they are using a james hetfield sound, fu-k that.... ah yes good sir, you are wise to the ways of metal. you are ready... WTF??? off the rant, i liked the album, love the fact that it's different, and some people can't handle it, haha.
    ismellfunny13
    Why can't people talk about the album instead of comparing trivium and bfmv when they are both talented and gifted musicians
    Gregray88
    Wooooow, Kiotaka, you have ot be the most aggravating, simple minded idiot on UG. BFMV are Trivium loving idiots. There are 3 good songs on this album SAF, Eye of the Storm and Waking the demon.
    Kiotaka
    Simple minded? Correcting your false statements pisses you off that much? The whole album kicks ass. I can actually listen to it all the way through without skiping a track, which is more than what I can say about any of triviums albums. And IMO, SAF is the worst one on the CD.
    Kiotaka
    And look, I'm not saying Trivium isn't talented. I'm just saying I think they are boring. The same thing for me goes with a lot of bands. For example. Dream Theater. I think they are one of the most talented bands out there, however, I don't like they're style and I think they are boring. Nothing against them, just not my preference. The same goes for trivium, which I ALSO AGREE should be left out of the discussion, which is why I specifically said, leave trivium out of this discussion.
    Kiotaka
    Gregray88 wrote: Kiotaka wrote: Gregray88 wrote: Wow, some of you people are pathetic. He didnt stop screaming because he has a throat problem. He probably stopped screaming because he got sick of it, like seriously screaming is getting old and he is a musician and he can do whatever the **** he wants, not screaming doesnt make u any less "metal". Now stop arguing about him not screaming and just post your views on the album. I thought this album was okay, it was still better than the poison. actually dumbass, on countless interviews he has repeatedly said that his throat problems were the cause of him having to stop screaming. Do your research before you make stupid staements Wow, wasn't the point of my statement, this is an album review, not a bitch and complain about why hes not screaming and how screaming is sooooo cool and "metal" (haha), so calm down u idiot
    I was actually correcting the first half of your statement. Since you obviously don't know the real reason he let up his screaming.
    AJigga34576
    Okay hold the phone. Listen to Forever and Always. Done? Good. Now, Listen to 'Faithfully' by Journey. Can You say lawsuit? I think I lost about 90% of my respect for this band. The least they should be able to do is write some ORIGINAL MATERIAL. Unless thats supposed to be some sort of tribute, which i get the feeling it is not. How the hell can the album be made and not one person recognize such a big hit song being played out right before them?
    guitarplayer-k6
    sad review man... this is damn near as good as the Poison classic riffs catchy lyrics like The Poison they havent changed at all theyve just kicked up the metal a bit and who cares if they dont scream as much? Matt has a great voice and it needs to be shown more which it is in this album... and one thing I read Padge say in an interview is alot of bands change their sound to kiss the ass of the record company and they refused to do that... anyways great album I loved it to pieces
    fwibble
    By the way, Jay doesn't do ANY screaming on this album at all. I'm a reliable source on this.
    Confetti
    A finish girl mag had a headline about them. "Bullet For My Valentine - Gods Of Metal " I laughed my ass of to the title.
    xx-hinchcore-xx
    i think all you ppl ho r like aw tey r shit now but a lil change hurt no 1 who cares there bfmv so live with it they r gr8 wil always be gr8 and you can still buy the poison so shuttup saying oh its not as good you can still get it you nobs yer r fukn kick ASS so back off !!!!!
    skindred
    White And Nerdy wrote: I liked "Scream Aim Fire" the song, but I listened to the whole CD on their myspace and didn't like it. all the songs sound very bland in my opinion. It's funny how death metal bands can do screaming vocals for years and it doesn't effect them much, but all these new bands that were screaming all the sudden stop and say it hurts their voice. I think it's a lame way to say we want to make more commercial music. but some people just like to make less heavy cd's after awhile. who knows...
    the reason being these new vocalists are kids compared to the likes of rob flynn, dez fafara, howard jones, mark hunter, phil anselmo etc (artists i can think of at the moment) these real men are used to their throats being ****ed due to drinking, smoking etc, they're voices hav been bred over years of experience. vocalists like jay, m.shadows, matt heafy because of their type of screaming, its gonna f*ck their voices up, a7x = no screaming from city of evil, heafy stop screaming in the crusade and its the same in scream aim fire. considering i dont like bullet that much i dont mind a few songs on this album, hell i have to try like them my gfs takin me to see them on the 7th lol
    boyan89
    to the people above me Matt Tuck stopped screaming cuz he had to get his tonsils removed, thats why they changed and Matt sings more aggresive
    Bletic
    I liked this album, sure the sound of it changed, but i was getting sick of all "the poison" being about heartbreak and angst angst angst. people who dont like this just cuz its "mainstream" is meaning they just dont want bands to become more successful and attempt to keep getting money, its just how music works
    phenom1991
    roarinflames wrote: phenom1991 wrote: The Poison was ALOT MORE agressive than this shit. I ain't a huge fan of these but i listen to some songs now and then. This CD is not any better than what you describe The Poison to be and it only goes with the flow of becoming a "Trash-wannabe" because thats what they wanted. never ceases to make me chuckle when someone types "trash" instead of thrash. and the stuff they were playing before this was just as generic, but it was mainstream influenced. at least i can listen to this, even if it is "wannabe thrash". IMO its better than listening to scenecore garbage. also, you seem like a metalhead to me, so let me ask this. MANY, and i do mean MANY, metalheads despise the existence of metalcore. So, why do they get pissed off if a metalcore band is changing to a more thrash influenced sound? webbtje wrote: .
    I ain't getting mad or anything on them. It just sickens me when people can't stand for what they are. I listen to some metalcore. 2 bands to be exactarkway Drive and SOME Trivium. You are right to some extent but they are just turning into a th rash copycat and is doing it quite badly. It just gets lame when they say "we hate metalcore...lets play thrash!!! I WANNA BE OMG JAMIZ HETFILD ZOMGZ!!!" ****in shit. Let's leave thrash metal to those who really PLAY and CAN PLAY it in the first place. Don't you think? I could withstand The Poison more because it was just more original than this.
    Gregray88
    Kiotaka wrote: Gregray88 wrote: Wow, some of you people are pathetic. He didnt stop screaming because he has a throat problem. He probably stopped screaming because he got sick of it, like seriously screaming is getting old and he is a musician and he can do whatever the **** he wants, not screaming doesnt make u any less "metal". Now stop arguing about him not screaming and just post your views on the album. I thought this album was okay, it was still better than the poison. actually dumbass, on countless interviews he has repeatedly said that his throat problems were the cause of him having to stop screaming. Do your research before you make stupid staements
    Wow, wasn't the point of my statement, this is an album review, not a bitch and complain about why hes not screaming and how screaming is sooooo cool and "metal" (haha), so calm down u idiot
    Golem29
    "writing lame, mundane material is not progression just because the previous album was a mushy heartbreak metalcore shitfest. this band is a disgrace and they are not metal. they write songs that Trivium wrote last year and give them new names. this band will never be heavy, original, or even vaguely interesting." Just to reiterate the best post so far
    whistler369
    Can't say I liked this album at all. Didn't like The Poison either. I have no idea why i'm here lol
    whistler369
    Everyone is saying this album isn't as great as The Poison, but you gotta give it some time to grow on you. The poisons been out for awhile and everyone has had time to love it..give this one some time
    I'm sorry *for double posting :O* but you shouldn't have to wait for the album to grow on you. It should make you get goosepimples and make you say JESUS F***ING CHRIST! Yes they're rare... but that's what makes a great album! That's my opinion anyways. Just my opinion.
    gttm
    im afraid i have to agree with cubfan1091, i realy dont know what has happened to these guys but they just got realy realy bad, they repeat their riffs too much and their vocals sound like a 5 year old school girl, their nearly as bad as avenged sevenfold now
    Kiotaka
    Gregray88 wrote: Wow, some of you people are pathetic. He didnt stop screaming because he has a throat problem. He probably stopped screaming because he got sick of it, like seriously screaming is getting old and he is a musician and he can do whatever the **** he wants, not screaming doesnt make u any less "metal". Now stop arguing about him not screaming and just post your views on the album. I thought this album was okay, it was still better than the poison.
    actually dumbass, on countless interviews he has repeatedly said that his throat problems were the cause of him having to stop screaming. Do your research before you make stupid staements
    phenom1991
    Then he was the dumbass...it should NOT hurt to do it or you're doing it wrong...im pretty sure he did it right and it wasn't because of him not being able to.
    The Gimp
    some people cannot appreciate and accept that matt tucks vocals changed after a throat op. this annoys me it is such a good album
    themexican04
    best ones on here are heart bursts into fire, and waking the demon. this album is ****in sick