Scream Aim Fire review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Jan 25, 2008
Bullet for My Valentine: Scream Aim Fire

Let me start of with saying that I liked The Poison and I am a huge fan of this band. They get alot of shit but I've always liked their sound. The songs on Scream Aim Fire have a lot of variation to them, more so than the songs on The Poison in my opinion. Songs like "End Of Days" have riffs that are alot like their older songs, with the trademark Bullet 2-guitar harmony found in most songs on the Poison like Suffocating and Her Voice Resides. On songs like Eye of the storm they use a lot less harmony making the sound thrashier and heavier. I'll break it down track by track. 01. Scream Aim Fire - up-tempo opening track that sets the standard for the entire record. The riffs are fast and catchy and the palm-muted breakdown makes you go "Wtf, is this bullet?!" the first time you hear it. I liked it from the start; great track. 02. Eye Of The Storm - probably the thrashiest song on this album. Features a wicked-sounding sweeping solo followed by a cool harmony part. Matt's vocals has got a raspiness to it that makes it alot more metal and less metalcore (my opinion). Took me a couple of listens to get into but this track is also a great one. 03. Hearts Burst Into Fire - a power-ballad kind of song. This one sounds nothing like old bullet. The riffs make me think of songs like "Crazy Train" by Ozzy. This song has got a really catchy vocal melody and even though it's not as heavy as some of the other tracks it is still one of the highlights on the album. 04. Waking The Demon - the heaviest track on Scream Aim Fire, featuring a shreddy riff and maybe Moose's heaviest drumming so far. IMO the best track on the album. The verse is heavy, the chorus is just epic and the solo is awesome. 05. Disappear - according to Bullet themselves written the same day the song Scream Aim Fire was. After figuring out how to play it on the guitar I realize why, exactly the same notes played in a diffrent way. But the song is quite diffrent nonetheless. This track grows on you and quickly became one of my favourites with great singing and cool riffs. 06. Deliver Us From Evil - I didn't really like this song from the start, perhaps because the melodies used doesn't really resemble anything Bullet has done in the past and Matt's singing is really low. But this is deffinately a track that grows on you and the vocal melody is perhaps one of the strongest melodies on the album. 07. Take It Out On Me - features Benji from the band Skindred on vocals. I Loved this track at first but it gets a bit tiresome after listening to it a couple of times. The middle section is however beutiful and well orchestrated. When I say Bullet live a couple of days ago they used that middle section as a intro to Eye of the storm. 08. Say Goodnight - beautiful ballad about life and death. This is up amongst the best songs along with Waking the Demon. Beautiful lyrics and solo's sets the mood making this the saddest song on the album. 09. End Of Days - this song is the one song that well could have been from The Poison era. It's a good song but not one of the best. One thing worth to mention would be the great guitar solo. 10. Last To Know - same as End of days, this song is not among the best but it is still a strong track, with a lyrical theme similar to that of 4 Words to choke upon from the Poison. It's the shortest track on the album coming it at just 3:17. 11. Forever And Always - epic arena-rock song with a cool long instrumental outro that serves as a great ending to the entire album. Great catchy vocal melodies.

The lyrical themes of the album differs quite a bit from Bullet's previous albums. Many songs of The Poison was about love and relationships. On this album you have perhaps more fictional themes like war (Scream Aim Fire), storms (Eye of the storm) and also a lot of vengeance (Waking the demon/Disappear). The lyrics aren't that deep, but they go great with the music and they get the messages across. I've seen a lot of whining about Matt Tuck's voice recently, how it has changed and ruined the band due to his throat-problems. On some tracks like Eye of the storm and Scream aim fire his voice is pretty diffrent from the old songs. His "cuter" voice heard on songs like Tears don't fall is almost gone here and this goes well with the more "metal" direction the band said they wanted to take. So just let me dispell your worries; his voice is great and he has no problems singing anymore.

Even though not much of this year has passed yet, I still believe this album will be up there with the best of them. IMO this album is a better album than The Poison, but I'm sure many would disagree with me on that. But it all comes down to personal flavour. Bullet for my valentine sure has gone a more metal direction and some people might dislike this, but I think it's great. Album highlights for my would be: Scream Aim Fire, Hearts Burst Into Fire, Waking The Demon, Say Goodnight. Matt's voice sounds as good as ever and the guitarplaying and drumming are deafening. I would definetly buy it again if it was stolen, because I think it's. Go buy it!