Scream Aim Fire review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Jan 25, 2008
Bullet for My Valentine: Scream Aim Fire

With the success of The Poison, Bullet For My Valentine were poised to blow their fans away with their sophmore effort Scream Aim Fire. This album took a slightly different direction than what we were used to. It seems that Bullet wanted to write songs similar to what they grew up listening to. Bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Pantera were their influences in writing this album. Prior to writing Scream, Bullet was on the tour of a lifetime playing big shows and opening up for big bands. During the tour, Matt Tuck struggled with layrengitis. This problem led him to have his tonsils removed which required a lenthy recovery time. When it was time to record Sream, Matt's vocals (which he claims) were at about 60 percent. But somehow he managed to pull it off and make a very good album. Matt uses his Peavey 6505 amp while Padgett uses his Mesa Triple Rectifier. Both seem to blend very well together.

After listening to The Poison, you kinda get the feeling that Matt's relationships are crazy. Most of the songs deal with love/hate relationships. On Scream Aim Fire however, we see that his lyrics have, in a way, matured. The title track is obviously about fighting in a war. Waking the Demon is about being bullied during high school. And Deliver us from Evil is about battling through hard times (during a live show, matt said he wrote the song during when he was recovering from his throat opperation). Matt's singing(considering his throat problems) is very good. He still have a great vocal range and makes his songs very melodic.

Overall this is a very good album. Compared to The Poison and their early EP, this is second on my list. I have seen Bullet recently and Matt's voice is a ton better. The songs that stand out for me on this album would have to be: Deliver Us From Evil, Scream Aim Fire, Say Goodnight, Waking the Demon, and End of Days. I like thrash metal, so I like how this album has that thrash like sound to it. I do wish that Matt would scream more like he used to. But I know that it's because of his throat. I would def. Buy this again if I had to.

MotleySixx81
    i loved the poison so much more than this album, but it is still great and fun to listen to.