Scream Aim Fire review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Jan 25, 2008
Bullet for My Valentine: Scream Aim Fire

My first impression of this album were that it would be a carbon copy of the debut which proved so popular (as has been seen with some bands), but once I took the time to listen to this, I realised that all my criticisms of "The Poison"'s repetition and unoriginality could no longer apply to this release. I don't what this album did to receive the amount of hatred that I have seen from some people, with criticisms that always go back to the frankly retarded "Not As Good As The Poison!" which isn't retarded in itself as long as it's backed up. The problem I have with these people is that they don't back up their opinions sufficiently for me to take what they're saying on board so I ignore them which is a shame because if they had taken the time to respond when I replied with a well constructed argument they might have been able to change my mind. As it is, I think this is the best efort of the band so far and if someone thinks they can change my mind they are welcome to try. Don't get me wrong, I Loved The Poison and thought that it was one of the best things I'd heard this year, and don't think that I am some fool who doesn't listen to others, as some might think after reading the above paragraph. I've just realised that I haven't even started talking what the album actually sounds like but if you've been in some kind of contact with the music world I'll assume that you know what Bullet For My Valentine sounds like and those of you who don't, BFMV is a metalcore band which uses fast drums, twin guitars and screaming vocals to acheive a heavy, yet more listenable than some bands, sound. And that's basically what Scream Aim Fire is. It's not deep or meaningful, it's just simple-minded metalcore. And that's just fine.

I've heard a lot of people slag off bands for crap lyrics but all of those criticisms can go and jump off a bridge for all I care when applied to this album as there is a great deal of screaming vocals, making tne lyrics almost completely inaudible, but as long as it sounds good I don't care. Unfortunately, there are some parts of the album that I can't help but think that the band, the lyricist and the singer were all seperate people and that they were kept on opposite sides of a concrete wall during the creation of this album, but this is a minor complaint. Overall, the vocals are solid and help to enhance the sound of the music.

As I said in my review of The Poison, I don't know a great deal about the metalcore genre, although I'm told that Funeral For A Friend are very similar to BFMV, I haven't really had much chance to buy any more albums of the genre, so I can't really compare it. The best songs from the album would have to be "Scream, Aim, Fire", "Deliver Us From Evil", "Last To Know" and "Forever And Always". I can't help but wonder, as "Here Come The Storm" is scheduled for release on September 14th, whether it will be able to recreate these efforts, or possibly BFMV have peaked to early.