The Poison review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Oct 26, 2005
Bullet for My Valentine: The Poison

This band has made a masssive leap from their EP and it was in the right direction, more of the same from these talented guys. From the beginning it hooks because of the way the intor has been crafted it sets you up on a journey of one of the greatest albums this year. after the calming intro with a backing orchestra and scorching hot guitar riffs the second song on the album 'Her Voice Resides' screams right in your face and blows you away with the killer, hear pounding guitars and fast paced drums.

Matt Tuck has vastly improved his lyrical capabilities through out the year and has come back with some heart felt and brilliantly crafted lyrics which suit the album perfectly such as '10 Years Ago' and 'The end', and with 3 people screaming/singing they really do blend all of the sounds together and give a great result.

This album is one of the best ones I have heard all year and these match the sounds of Triviums 'Acendancy' and they also sound like a fusion of killswitch engage, avenged sevenfold etc. but they still seem to sound original. Some of the best songs on this album have to be: 01. Her Voice Resides - this is the one of the heaviest songs on the album but it has a great breakdown in the middle. 02. Tears Dont Fall - this has to be the Epic of the album its perfect and they show it through skill and carefully crafted lyrics. 03. the Poison - the title track of the album, this is a great song all around and should be one of their singles. 04. All The Things I Hate - this is the slow song on the album and will probably be one of their next singles and a good choice at that as it will appeal to more than just the fans. I could go on and list them all because there all just so good, go out and buy this album if you like Trivium, Killswitch etc. It's a perfect blend of fast paced drums and melodic dual guitars!

SONiK_91
    This album is great i love each song on it! if ya liked hand of blood EP then you will love this beast!
    EmancipatedSoul
    Fi-Fi wrote: Trivium like rules man,, and emo sucks ass, trivium issn't like metallica at all, maybe the wanna be, but theyre way better, BASH EMO AND EMOCORE!!!
    Agreed
    EmancipatedSoul
    at leest agreed with the "BASH EMO AND EMOCORE" Part. I dont really like Trivium. These guys have allright music, but theres something about it that puts me off. Probably the lyrics.
    Schmidt1989
    I love Bullet, so **** you haters. I love Trivium, so **** you haters. Hey... according to everyone else here, thats a paradox.
    Metallifan1626
    just listen to the damn music if you like it listen if not,then dont pay attention to it,common sense to stay away from something you dont like DUHH!
    Fi-Fi
    oke dude, if Hitler still lived, would you rather ignore him then try to take his hope ever suceeding, what we do here is the same, it is called an opnion, and if i feel i have to say something negative im free to do so
    Styx
    Well you can't compare Bullet for my valentine with Trivium, cause Trivium will own they're asses! But this cd owns i can't stop listening to it!If it was stolen i would kill the mother f*cker who stole it and get it back!
    Indie Purist
    Alright most everybody on this page needs to grow up because labels don't matter. A good cd is simply that; a good cd.
    Judas_rising
    I'm sorry....I keep hearing people going "complicated riffs" throughout this review.....heres another opinion- Trivium and Bullet For My Valentine...Good but not great and DEFINITELY not close to metallica. Children of Bodom and Killswitch Engage - Kick a$$
    GuitarHero0715
    lol, in hit the floor instead of saying why did you take it all he says why do you took it all, lol
    A7X_hyperfan
    "Tears Don't Fall" is an incredible song. i'm listening to it as I write this. Great cd. Only 2 or 3 tracks that were ok, everything else was great. Shreds like crazy, great vocals, what more do you need? 9.7/10
    METSOAD
    matt tuck's voice is not the best but it suits the rest of the music very well
    Open fire
    i STILL cant stop listening to this album and its been well over 6 monts since i bought it. Theese songs just don't seam t wear thin, and it's all consistantly good. Go bullet \m/
    Nor'Easterbass
    simply put, this Cd owns! this band is something different and yet strangely familiar at the same time. imo, they're exactly what metal needed at this point in time. can't wait to see what they become.
    Kiotaka
    This is one of the greatest Cd's around. If you like british metal or rock music in any way buy it!!! and don't listen to anonymouse, all the songs are good, if you like one, you'll like the other
    LPIndin
    Kiotaka
    LPIndin wrote: this album is amazing. however i wish they put hand of blood on there. i think that is probably there best song. oh well, itll be a hidden treasure for all the real fans of BFMV (cause at my school all the fags are little bandwagon kids. they hear all these things i hate revolve around me, which is a good song mind you, and they think there the coolest thing until a new song comes out. oh well at least there supporting bullet)
    I agree, Hand of blood was my favorite songs from them, but I got the EP so it didn't really bother me. Still a great album though.
    mullenmetal
    they are good but still have a lot too learn they will be huge its in their hands now they have the fans all they have too do is top that album which they could do with less screaming and i little bit more technicality and limit the songs about girls to 1 per album and without alienating fans and they are there 8/10
    TeenBite
    Hand of Blood is on the album? They've got talent, but can't consistently write good material. I think they need to work with a songwriter for their next release.
    METSOAD
    anonymouse, they are not dire IMO, but you seem to be saying that it is dire just because kerrang like it
    Fi-Fi
    iquitmyscene13 wrote: Hahah. Triviumfan54 makes me laugh. At least BFMV's goal isn't to "be the exact same as Metallica". Anyways, this cd has it's moments. They're way better when they play metal then they are when they play that stupid arena rock. Tears don't fall sucks (except for that crazy thrash part), and so does every other track where Matt "tries" to sing. What's wrong with you people. If you're going to play metal, PLAY IT.
    Triviumfan54
    White And Nerdy
    I listened to most of this Album, Whiney Emo Vocals, I hate that, When he screams it's decent, the lyrics are to ehhh sleezy/Girly. The guitars are good, But these guys kinda compare themselves to bands like... I don't know...Iron Maiden. Kinda pissed me off. Not a huge fan, But if your into this stuff, it will probably be an awesome album for ya...
    Prowler_88
    The Poison is a good album for a band that I often see as a gateway into heavier music. They are reasonably talented musicians, but not, as many people tend to label them, 'bringing old school metal back' as any discerning metalhead will tell you, good metal never went away. It just became more of an undercurrent, influencing bands like Bullet and Trivium that have made it big. Not that I mind Bullet, as they seem like a reasnable bunch of guys, and their lyrics are heartfelt if a bit naiive sounding. I'm also a bit averse to the bassist's screaming. At least they appear to be sticking to writing what they like and not changing their sound/vocals and lyrical style like some bands *cough* Trivium *cough*. 6.5/10 - Good but I'm sure they'll improve.
    JackRox666
    i agree that hand of blood should be on the album it still is amazing album though! can't wait for their next!
    McKillswitch
    This album kicks ass, 10 years today, tears don't fall and 4 words (to choke upon) are by far the best songs. And why do people think there EMO?, Bullet anit emo, at least i hope not.
    JVDumarC
    nope "Hand of Blood" it's not on the f* album, they should've put it though, c'mon it was an EP they're able to put it on the Full CD, but wth... the album still KICK F ASS... well first I thought about they where emo, but later when I heard other songs of them, I changed my opinion to Metalcore.
    ry12321
    mckillswitch dud c'mon her voice resides has gotta b on that list thats 1 of the best songs on there
    DeMoNhUnTeRuLeS
    im not a huge fan but from what i have heard they're pretty good. I love all of the pinch harmonics. They are one of the few bands that ivefound that use tapping in their solos. The only thing though is that all of the tabs that people put on here, the solos are all wrong.
    bassist_j_666
    10 Years Today is AMAZING. and yeah Tears Don't Fall is too. not sure about 4 Words. to be honest i prefer Hand Of Blood, its a lot more . . . catchy? better vocals methinks. i love the band anyway.
    [faint]
    great album, thought that hand of blood was better. but this album is the goods and really dont like to many bands of there genre. \m/ \m/
    a drummer
    02. Her Voice Resides - a massive boot up the backside with pounding angry vocals and guitars the size of the sun and a mind blowing outro. Similar in ways to "Rain" by Trivium. I have no idea how there is a connection between the two songs- though theyre both great
    Triviumfan54 wrote: Thank you iquitmyscene13, at least somebody has the right idea. I'm fed up of kids picking up guitars and playing crappy detuned riffs, and making millions. YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!
    ok dude, im sick poeple hating on detuned riffs, they create just a deeper sound, and if your saying BFMV riffs are crappy, suck a dick...
    danos1204
    METSOAD wrote: hand of blood is the best track they have ever written, it should be on the record
    If you buy the limited edition, Hand Of Blood is a bonus track. Damn good album even without Hand Of Blood
    Fadidechobass
    i love this cd so much it has inspired alot as my song writing as well as my chemical romance's new cd black parade the thing i h8 about these 2 cdss is choosing which 1 to play lol
    liledman_76
    brilliant album... hand of blood, tears dont fall, her voice resides, all these things i hate, spit you out...its full of awesome tracks do yourself a favour, get off your ass and buy it!
    trainwreck666
    HavokStrife
    I don't know how anyone can honestly seriously rate the lyrics more than say, 2. BFMV's music is friggen awesome, I even love all of the different vocals, but seriously, this is an actual lyric: "I loved you, you hurt me back." Give me a ****in' break...
    Jawshuwa
    trainwreck666 wrote: who does everyone think will last longer trivium or bullet by the this album is the best cd i have bought the lyrics connect so easily to me dark yet catchy
    Hard question, but I'm gonna have to go with Trivium, simply because I like them more ! Bad reason, I know, but trust me, I don't care. Anywho. I'm new to Bullet For My Valentine, but have been a Trivium fan since "Ascendancy" was released - a little off-topic, but I have no problem with Trivium's "The Crusade;" in fact I like it more than "Ascendacy." Back on topic, I've downloaded (I'm a naughty boy) a few songs off of this album upon reading the review, and easily decided that BFMV is a new favorite band. BMFV's melodic singing is better than Trivium's and their riffs seem to hit harder; however, Trivium has the blazing solos (as well as the Michael Angelo Batio over-and-under technique), Travis' INSANE double-bass drumming, and Trivium, in my opinion, has better singing (aside from the melodic verses) and screaming. I didn't compare bassists because, well, I can't ever hear the bass-lines. Lol. Paolo's an above average bassist, though, and I'm sure BMFV's bassist is no slacker as well. Who's better ? WHO CARES !? They both make great music, whether it be metalcore or heavy / thrash metal, so listen and enjoy !
    xX Maverick Xx
    its fun to play some of their songs but its a bitch to tune to drop c cuz i normaly play standard tuning