The Poison review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Oct 26, 2005
Bullet for My Valentine: The Poison

Bullet For My Valentine are a hardcore metal with some insane riffs with killer drums. This album kicks off with 'Intro' a mellow song showing the softer side of BFMV, but then goes into 'Her Voice Resides' easily one of the hardest songs on this album. By now anyone will be impressed now by knowing BFMV's soft and hard side, keeping them hungry for more. In that album there are also 2 tracks from a previous CD called 'Hand Of Blood EP'. These tracks are a hard, '4 (words to choke upon)' and 'Cries In Vain'. 'The Poison', their title track for the album, is one of the best songs there with its lightning fast solo, and heavy singing/screaming. 'Hit The Floor' and 'Spit You Out' also have some insane drums in them. 'All These Things I Hate (Revolve Around Me)' is a soft song that gets hard by the chorus. The album ends with 'The End' which is also a somewhat soft song with the same type of melody as 'Intro' almost as if it continues it. Every track has hard metal riffs, awesome drums, intense solo's, or even acoustic guitars.

The lyrics are great. There is a story behind every song. As far as the singin goes, lead singer Matt Tuck has his own singing tone, and his intense screaming voice. He is amazing at singing, but a lot of people get thrown off by his screaming. If they knew the lyrics and matched it with the singing and screaming, they'd like them a lot more. For Example their song 'Room 409' is a song about finding out his girlfriend is cheating on him. The lyrics and singing matches the music great, and has the bassist, Jay, and the lead guitarist, Padget, to help with backing vocals.

The Most impressive songs on this album are 'Tear's Don't Fall', 'Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow (What Can I Do)', 'Hit The Floor', 'The Poison', and '10 Years Today'. What I love about this album is the guitar and drums. When you find other bands, there drummers really don't stand out. But when you look at BFMV's drummer you are simply amazed. Their guitars are also great, with their speedy solo's and riffs. If it were stolen or lost, I would make it top priority to buy it again.

guitarfreak222
    Fi-Fi wrote: iquitmyscene13 wrote: Hahah. Triviumfan54 makes me laugh. At least BFMV's goal isn't to "be the exact same as Metallica". Anyways, this cd has it's moments. They're way better when they play metal then they are when they play that stupid arena rock. Tears don't fall sucks (except for that crazy thrash part), and so does every other track where Matt "tries" to sing. What's wrong with you people. If you're going to play metal, PLAY IT. Trivium like rules man,, and emo sucks ass, trivium issn't like metallica at all, maybe the wanna be, but theyre way better, BASH EMO AND EMOCORE!!!
    WTF is emocore??? LOL
    cKygnardog
    this album is amazing the lyrics hit hard and the guitar is fast and heavy but not to the point of slayer my favorite song personally is 4 words(to choke upon) its very heavy and just means alot
    deargod12
    why is like everyone comparing BFMV to trivium? they have two different sounds. i like both of them, and i see no need to compare two completely different bands and tuning to drop d or c isn't necessarily detuned because you can create different sounds with different tunings. it's not like they're tuning a quarter step down or something and actually not playing in tune. so why all the fuss?
    shallowbay29006
    this has to be my favorite album by BFMV. The intro that apocolipta(spelling) did for them is a great one. Her Voice Resides kicks in and practicly scares you right after you hear the intro. the 4 Words is a great song. Tears Dont Fall is also a great song. Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow, great song with meaning. Hit the Floor, great tune to listen to. All These Things I Hate is a radio fan song, but i still love it. Room 409, best song on the album, by the way the lyrics are set up i think its about a blow job hahaha. The Poison is a purdy good song. 10 Years Today really makes you look back if you have had a person close to you die. Cries in Vain is a good song. Spit You Out is just awsome. The End, great ending to an album. thats all i have to say.
    linkyu
    Since only people who loves this album will make a review of it, isn't it over-overated ? lol.
    RC_Hammer
    I like the guitars, but I can't stand the lyrics and singing. I have to agree with the above poster that they lyrics are emo.
    MetallicaBFMV
    Great band my second favorite behind metallica. i agree that the lyrics are a bit emo, but the loud guitar and drums drowns it out. best songs are 4 words and scream aim fire
    theused137
    The poison is easily one of the best cd's I've ever heard, they have songs that send shivers down my spine. 10 years today does it big time, so does hit the floor. It seems like Atreyu, B4MV, Trivium, and A7X are always mentioned in the same breath. But A7X and Atreyu are not even close to Trivium and B4MV. I think that Trivium and Bullet are very similar, they've even went the same way with their new albums, which are not anywhere near as good as the Poison and Ascendancy respectively. I think Bullet is a better band. But when it comes to talent (other than vocals) trivium has much more potential, they just don't write as good of music. Bullets riffs are catchier, but I must say Pull Harder has quite the catch riff.
    henza_x
    so did I, I like atreyu's older stuff, and a7x did a poor set list imo But how can you say "where is my angel i neeed her now" isn't whining... I'm impressed with how tight these guy splayed their songs, but their songs, while catchy, get annoying.
    xXChimairaXx
    I SAW these guys live on the taste of chaos tour with Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu, and let me say, I've never seen so many hot women at a concert in my life. Atreyu went down the pooper, their old stuff is definitely better, and A7X just started whining to gain popularity. Bullet is skilled though.
    sevenchurches
    22acacia wrote: For Nu Metal, these guys arent half bad. Again thats only as far as Nu Metal goes. Thats like rating a piece of shit 10 on the shit scale.
    haha you dumb ****
    maliceheart18
    METSOAD wrote: hand of blood is the best track they have ever written, it should be on the record
    you got that right.
    archangelseren
    Overall this album has a mix of melody and metal that is virtually unheard of for a band this new. This is an important album. Bullet for My Valentine, along with Trivium are bringing old fashion metal back and the future looks bright.
    yea i thought so too... what the hell happened?
    guitarfreak222
    04. Tears Don't Fall - if when they released this they had left it uncut, many scenes would not want to listen to this. The reason I dislike this song is because it's a blatant radio single. 05. Suffocating Under The Words Of Sorrow (What Can I Do) - a sort of midsection song, and it's quite dull as it is very hard to listen to. 06. Hit The Floor - the opening is frankly rubbish, and there is hardly any change throughout the song. My least favourite. 07. All These Things I Hate (Revolve Around Me) - played too much, got bored of too quickly. Next! Ok the guy who wrote that review is terrible. He was terrible describing the freaking songs altogether! Especially those....