The Poison review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Oct 26, 2005
Bullet for My Valentine: The Poison

I was first introduced to Bullet for My Valentine by YouTube. I was listening to a Metallica song and saw a Bullet cover of it, so I listened. I thought it was pretty good so listened to one of their own songs and was blown away. The guitar in their songs is great, especially the solos and harmonized riffs, the drummer is fantastic, and just everything about them is great. Padge and Tuck (guitars) use a wide range of effects for their songs, the drummer definetely knows when to put in the kicks, and Tuck is probably the best singer out there.

The lyrics to this bands songs are very good. Most of them are about breakups and love but all in different ways. They use a lot of metaphors in their lyrics and just overall they are good. Matt Tuck is probably the best singer. He has a very unique voice (probably because of his accent) and he screams VERY well. He has a great range in his vocals and knows when and when not to scream, and also kudos to him for being able to sing and play the riffs that they come up with (not the easiest thing to do)

Overall, I thought this album is great. I went through a phase where this was the only thing I listened to. 01.Intro: this instrumental really gets you into a mood. It's a slow, depressing sounding song with clean tone and violins for about 30-45 seconds then a distorted lead comes in. Overall a beautiful song 10/10 02.Her Voice Resides: this song is GREAT. This scared me when i first heard it because the softness of Intro doesn't lead well into the intro of this song. This song has great riffs, great lyrics, and an outstanding solo. This is probably the heaviest song on the album. 10/10 03.4 Words (To Choke Upon): this song is really good. The words are excellent, drums are great, and the solo is pretty good. 9/10 04.Tears Don't Fall: definetely the highlight of the album, and that's for a reason. This song has some very good sounding riffs in it and words are great just like the other songs. The bridge in this song is very fast and makes you wanna headbang then the solo kicks in. Best song ever 11/10 05.Suffocating Under Words Of Sorrow: just good. Can't really go in depth about it but it's good and it has a good solo 8/10 06.Hit the Floor: one of the heavier songs on the album. Has some funky natural harmonics in the riff (on the 2nd and 3rd frets) and one of the few songs that doesn't have a solo in it. 9/10 07.All These Things I Hate (Revolve Around Me): really good song. Another that has no solo but the song is amazing. 10/10 08.Room 409: great song. Trust me, it's really good. Hard-hitting with great lyrics, great harmonies, great solo, great breakdown, ahh I love this song 10/10 for sure 09.The Poison: I don't know how this song isn't more popular. It's the title track for one, but this song is very good. Has a good tapping riff, GREAT solo (best on the album) and a good breakdown right after the solo. 9/10 10.10 Years Today: really not the biggest fan of this song. No solo, just ok riffs, pretty slow song. I give it a 7/10 because the lyrics are very good. 11.Cries In Vain: this song is really good. The intro has phaser in it follewed by hard hitting distortion. Great song with some sort of a harmony harmonics solo at the end. 12.Spit You Out: second worst song on the album. This isn't the best song I've ever heard them play, but it's not that bad. Very catchy chorus and awesome breakdown. This one gets 7.5/10 13.The End: slowest song on the album. Still a pretty good song. Kind of like Intro except this song is 5 minutes longer. This song has no solo either but it's good enough to score a 9/10

Amuro Jay
    This is a sick cd. I don't know if I've already said that somewhere else on this page. Kicks the poo out of scream aim fire.
    kgranlund
    They obviously are a mix of emo and metal. I mean thats like amazing to mix so yeah you can mix.
    acetherockstar
    i think this is a great album but i can understand why some people wouldn't like his voice it is different. i like it and the musicianship they posses is incredible at times
    minchew
    moonatblack : Im sorry but did they say they were "Metal"?!?!? HAHAHAHA BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE ARE SHITTY EMO SCREAMO PPL PRETENDING TO BE METAL. POSTED: 02/11/2009 - 04:15 pm / quote Actually, this isn't screamo. Matt can actually sing, which I find very impressive. Also, the guitar riffs are some of the best I've heard in a long time. Heavy as F*** but they still have a good sense of melody.
    ForeverInUtero
    first off, i'm so sick of emo haters. And Bullet For My Valentine seem to blend emo well with metal (i'm gonna get crucified for saying this) this is one of my fave albums of all time... the vocals sure beat the ones on Scream Aim Fire.
    xXChimairaXx
    HA! BFMV a Nu Metal band?! What a dope. Korn is nu metal. Disturbed is nu metal. Slipknot is nu metal. And stop comparing them to Trivium. I like them both, but we'll see who puts on the better show this summer at Mayhem fest.
    Haunt3dAng3l
    I'm not really a fan of this "Metalcore" stuff. But Bullshit for my valentine does have some enjoyable stuff. And you people saying "OMG this ain't really metal" grow up already. If you're a real music lover you won't care what it's called, you just like it based on whether or not it is GOOD music.
    moonatblack
    Kickflip66
    sevenchurches wrote: 22acacia wrote: For Nu Metal, these guys arent half bad. Again thats only as far as Nu Metal goes. Thats like rating a piece of shit 10 on the shit scale. haha you dumb **** (lose)
    samdelorenzo
    theyre not nu-metal. wrong catagory. =)
    xDlyonsx
    I liked this album alot better than scream aim fire they're more thrashy in this and go right into melodic riffs too this album was all-around amazing