The Poison review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Released: Oct 26, 2005
Bullet for My Valentine: The Poison

While at the time the band was still fairly young and still had some maturing to do music wise, the sound on this album is strangely addictive. The combination of heavy guitar riffage and screaming during the verses and melodic choruses works really well here. With the dueling guitar riffs played by Matt Tuck and Michael Paget overtop Michael Thomas's complex double-bass drumming BFMV's music is fairly technical for a 2000's metalcore band.

Lead vocalist Matt Tuck outdoes the average metalcore vocalist by playing guitar, singing, and screaming. He has a very good range, and his screams are well defined too. The blatantly emotional lyrics sang over the band's heavy riffs and breakdowns seems like a bad combination, but that is not the case. The lyrics mostly speak for themselves, and mostly deal with meaningless relationships, breakups, suicide, and getting cheated on.

This is a great album that anyone who likes melodic hardcore/metal should buy. I mainly love this album because of its dark mood and melodic guitar riffs and amazing solos. The album's standout tracks are "Tears Don't Fall," "Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow," "All These Things I Hate," and "The Poison." If it was destroyed in an atomic explosion, I would buy it again.