The Poison: Live At Brixton [DVD] review by Bullet for My Valentine

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Dec 19, 2006
  • Sound: 9
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.8 (102 votes)
Bullet for My Valentine: The Poison: Live At Brixton [DVD]
6

Sound — 9
Bullet For My Valentine has released a DVD the way it should always be done -- complete with a live performance, music videos, and behind-the-scenes footage. If there was any music DVD that could leave fans pleased, Bullet's The Poison: Live At Brixton would probably be the one. While there are a few areas that could have been improved, the band succeeds in the most important department: delivering a solid, memorable metal show. Filmed at London's Carling Academy Brixton on January 28, 2006, The Poison features a thorough set of the band's hits and runs about 140 minutes. Until you've seen Bullet live, you might not grasp how truly talented the Welsh band is. Each of the 13 songs in the live set features riffs that bring to mind Iron Maiden classics and solos that should make pretty much anyone want to learn how to play guitar. From the first solo in The Voice Resides, you're instantly put in awe at vocalist/guitarist Matthew Tuck's skills. Combining an infectious melody with a bit of tapping, Tuck executes every solo flawlessly. There are so many other notable moments in the set, it's hard to pick one out of the bunch. For example, in the opening of one song, Tuck surprises the Brixton audience with the news that it will be part of an upcoming DVD. The crowd goes wild and you instantly feel like you're a part of the show at that moment. Another memorable section comes toward the end of Cries In Vain in which guitarists Tuck and Michael Paget release a dead-on guitar harmony for the breakdown. The mosh pit goes in full motion and it's just a beautiful scene. The only area that could have been improved upon was the mixing of the vocals. When Tuck sings -- not screams -- over the distorted guitars, they tend to get swallowed up just a bit. There is no problem at all when the softer, cleaner guitars come into the picture, however, or even when he screams over the distortion. It should be said that the music is so powerful that even a slight mixing problem doesn't really throw the show off at all. If fans haven't seen Bullet live yet, the DVD comes in a close second to the real thing.

Content — 10
Although the show at Brixton is the must-see portion of the DVD, there are still plenty of other highlights. The Poison also features 5 videos, including Hand Of Blood, 4 Words (To Choke Upon), and Tears Don't Fall. It's nice to see a band include music videos on the same DVD with it's live show rather than just wait 6 months to cash in on another DVD. There is a section called Documentaries/EPKS, which you might presume is more of a biography or day-in-the-life of the band. While you might be able to call it behind-the-scenes, there is little information that is revealed along the way. It's more of a videography, with music playing over the various scenes showing the band. You'll get to see Bullet take photos with fans and sitting down for interviews, but little is said. A few snippets from interviews are edited into the mix, but we're talking very, very few words. While it is somewhat of a disappointment, Bullet has still taken a lot of effort to put together a variety of bonus material. The final extra comes in the form of Bullet TV, which is basically more behind-the-scenes footage. This time around, however, the band is given their own cameras to videotape nights on the town, adoring fans, and themselves getting extremely wasted. It's an amusing addition to the DVD and fans should find it entertaining.

Production Quality — 8
The one major issue with The Poison is the footage of the Brixton concert. While there were plenty of different camera angles used and the most of the guitar solos were given full attention, there were other times when intense moments onstage were just ignored. Instead, a camera at the very back of the concert hall shot the light show seen if you were in the back row -- and you couldn't even see the little figures of the band when this happened. Time and time again this happened at the last 5 to 10 seconds of the song, a time when a lot of people might want to see that final smash of a drumhead or strum of a guitar. At other times, poor bassist/vocalist Jason James could only be seen as a fuzzy image during his screaming parts. The same thing happened to Tuck in one song as well, and it just is more distracting than anything. In the end it didn't ruin the performance, but just a little tweaking of the cameras could have made it a perfect live show for home viewers.

Overall Impression — 9
Bullet For My Valentine has been one of the leaders in resurrecting guitar solos, and it's fantastic to see some of that shredding live onstage. Fans will not be disappointed by The Poison: Live At Brixton, particularly if they missed seeing solos up-close and personal at previous concerts. Even though the cameras were not always on mark, they did give great attention to the solos. As DVDs go, The Poison draws you in pretty quickly and features a solid set of technical and likeable songs -- a killer combination. If you're not such much into the metalcore-screaming genre, fear not. The guitars are so vibrant on the DVD that you'll be able forgive the voices easily. And that's talent for you.

54 comments sorted by best / new / date

    guitarist41
    I own this DVD and I have to say it is freakin' awesome! It's great value too. The gig footage is great and there's a good number of songs and it has shit loads of other footage. Great. p.s. anybody hear about MT loosing his voice and they might be recruting a lead singer?
    sp0ckr0cks
    i honestly think BFMV are on the right track, just a bit misguided. if they would straighten up and stop screaming, they could be the next iron maiden.
    Punk2Guitar
    Gregoric wrote: I'm sorry but BFMV are possibly the most over-rated band in metal today. They're not too bad and some songs sound good on the studio recordings but Ive seen several live videos and to be frank they were really sloppy. I know everyone is going to say 'You can't judge them until you've seen them live' but I think screw ups and out of tune singing will always sound bad lol. As for the 'awe inspiring solos' i suggest you watch Children of Bodom's new DVD is you want to see some proper shredding.....
    When will people learn? ....being a performer isn't all about making the perfect solo's ... playing like on the CD. it's about the vibe of being at a live concert which is what fans/people want. Getting a good vibe is way more important then playing everything flawlessly. and yeah of course the more accurate they play and sing ....even better then. I like to see this band live because there's always alot of energy in the crowd... same goes for bands like Flogging Molly (Irish Folk/Punk band) and bands like Rise Against... just great
    br4vw
    Most over rated band in metal today? hardly. they get shuned away by alot of "metal" fans who just cast them aside as another "emo" band (geez its funny how that word can be applied to almost anything someone doesnt like) when really they are quite skilled and have some awesome music.
    Punk2Guitar
    :| okay i went and checked out this DVD... i really like Bullet BUT WHAT TEH FCK IS THE DEAL WITH HIM WEARIN AN AIDEN T-SHIRT?! are they on same record label or something because ...**** that lol :p
    TeenBite
    They're not metal. If you think they're metal, start a thread about them in the metal forum, and watch as you get torn apart.
    edibledevilboy
    they'd be a much better band if he could write some half decent lyrics. and saw them once - very typical metal band type thing - headbanging stock still at the heavy parts and "i wana see the biggest mother f***ing pit right there!", the audience really wasnt very into it
    FAT SAM
    how can you say they resurected the guitar solo, that utter bollox...there are sooo many better bands out there that are more technical and solo better that bfmv...and tbh they suck live
    kirk_tremonti
    Punk2Guitar : Gregoric wrote: I'm sorry but BFMV are possibly the most over-rated band in metal today. They're not too bad and some songs sound good on the studio recordings but Ive seen several live videos and to be frank they were really sloppy. I know everyone is going to say 'You can't judge them until you've seen them live' but I think screw ups and out of tune singing will always sound bad lol. As for the 'awe inspiring solos' i suggest you watch Children of Bodom's new DVD is you want to see some proper shredding..... When will people learn? ....being a performer isn't all about making the perfect solo's ... playing like on the CD. it's about the vibe of being at a live concert which is what fans/people want. Getting a good vibe is way more important then playing everything flawlessly. and yeah of course the more accurate they play and sing ....even better then. I like to see this band live because there's always alot of energy in the crowd... same goes for bands like Flogging Molly (Irish Folk/Punk band) and bands like Rise Against... just great
    when will u learn... u dont get the energy unless u play it tight and flawlessly. improvisation is good. but it should be done properly. vibe is proportional to the talent and how well u play it doesnt depend too much on how much u r headbanging on stage.
    nato138
    the guitar solo has always been around, its just now its starting to get attention again thats all
    Shifty155
    Unlike most of the hard rock bands nowadays, Bullet is doing technical and awe-inspiring solos.
    Yeah, like trills for 15 seconds!
    xAnDr3w24x
    First off, this DVD was ALMOST flawless. A very talented band performing an amazing show. Since I've heard about BFMV, a day doesn't go by where I'm not listening to, humming, or tapping my feet to a song by these guys. The few blurry and fuzzy camara shots on Live At Brixton don't necessarily have to be a terrible thing like everyone is claiming. Gives it more of a rough and live feel. I thought the video editing and audio mixing were phenomenal. Not sure why some would say the vocals were drowned out by the music... maybe if you have the audio going through your two 3-watt speakers on the front of your television. This sounded terrific on my BOSE and Philips surround sound systems. A very good mixing job. Live At Brixton... an amazing show. Not sure why so many people hate on these guys. They are very talented song writers and musicians. I do have a question though... why does everyone say they aren't metal? Sick drums and wicked guitar solos and riffs with some screaming thrown in... what's so NOT metal about it? Are you saying they aren't heavy enough to be metal or what? Anyway, good DVD and great band... rock on.
    MasterChadwick
    I like em alot and I know they are not the best band out there but they are a great band. The cd is awesome, and I like alot of the screaming. Personally i love Matt Tuck but i think they need a vocalist and MT should do some back up screaming or s/t that might make more ppl listen to em but who cares they r doin their own thing and it rocks. Also Im not an emo...my balls are allowed to breath in my jeans.
    sheppo
    Fucken emo peices of shit, how can they be even classed as remotley metal
    superchris
    oh sheppo arnt you cool =] coming 2 a review of a band you dont like and slating them, despite the fact they ARE a kind of metal =] your comments like that arnt wanted here, try being constructive, and say how they could b more metal and more to your liking
    m1chael w0rkman
    i love how people get into arguments over how a band is labeled when the topic of the thread is their new DVD. i, personally, have not seen the DVD but i have heard alot of their music and i have to say; theyre a pretty kick ass band. also. for all of those who think theyre "emo." you realize youre categoring a band that knows how to play theyre instruments with shit like Cartel right? lol. just thought i'd let you think about that one.
    MasterChadwick
    Bullet isnt effin emo. That word gets used too much, but y would some1 be hatin on an actual rock band when horse sh*t like panic at the disco and cartel are out there...there's s/t to really think about
    Falling fast 11
    gregoric jys net jaloers jou doos, hule is musikaal bef@k goed en net omdat jy nie n band het nie dink jy jou voel stink.
    last_biscuit
    I'll just say a few things here...firstly BFMV aren't emo. They are in no way emo, nor do they sound it. Secondly, stop getting so worked up about the comment on resurrecting the guitar solo, it was just one comment. Tbh what i find more impressive is the way Matt Tuck manages to play some quite heavily syncopated rhythms and lead breaks at times, whilst singing. This is more impressive to me, as the solos are more technical than metal of a few years ago, but also not the most technical solos around. On the other hand, please stop saying they suck because you think their solos are easy, therefore they must suck because that just isn't the case. I read someone's comment on here about how they suck and that you should listen to Children of Bodom for kickass solos...wel in actual fact i consider the BFMV solos alot better than the COB solos because the BFMV solos sound alot more structured, and aren't just about speed or putting in as many techniques as possible. And before you ask yes i can play a few COB solos, but i don't particularly like the band and haven't bothered to learn anymore.
    last_biscuit
    Also, the quality of the DVD production-wise is very good, even though for some reason on my mates computer the volume kept raising and falling, despite this not happening on my dvd player, or friends home cinema system.
    (SiC)7MaGgOt
    This dvd is absolutly brilliant i loved it i got it the day it came out and i still watch it. The extras, music videos, and the concert are great.!!!
    Gregoric
    I'm sorry but BFMV are possibly the most over-rated band in metal today. They're not too bad and some songs sound good on the studio recordings but Ive seen several live videos and to be frank they were really sloppy. I know everyone is going to say 'You can't judge them until you've seen them live' but I think screw ups and out of tune singing will always sound bad lol. As for the 'awe inspiring solos' i suggest you watch Children of Bodom's new DVD is you want to see some proper shredding.....
    Laslow
    and they haven't resurrected anything, they are just the most mainstream band to make music like they do
    Cyclotoolica
    Unfortunatly I was forced to go to this gig. It sucked as I was expecting, the only semi-decent band of the day being Still Remains. And BFMV in no way resureccted the guitar solo.
    tim311mahoney
    I haven't seen the dvd or ever seen them live. but i'm very impressed with the new record. Cyclotoolica is right though, they didn't resurect the guitar solo... its been back for a while now.
    [I Buy Peace]
    guitarist41 wrote:anybody hear about MT loosing his voice and they might be recruting a lead singer?
    It was just the flu that did that, he's perfectly fine now. I went seeing the yesterday and they were better than ever, the gig was delayed till yesterday because matt had the flu. They even played a song off the new album that there bringing out, it was insane!
    muppet_man456
    I went to tht gig aswell, and it was awsome, they really made it up 2 the fans 4 cancelling the ova gigs they were supposed 2 do
    JackaTack
    I saw BFMV opening for Metallica here in Holland and I really dug them but they also had the vocal problem. At times it was impossible to hear them. It might be time they start looking at another FOH mixer.
    Jawshuwa
    Cyclotoolica wrote: Unfortunatly I was forced to go to this gig. It sucked as I was expecting, the only semi-decent band of the day being Still Remains. And BFMV in no way resureccted the guitar solo.
    There's a difference between "helping resurrect" the guitar solo and simply "resurrecting" it. Besides, it's not meant to be taken at face-value. Yes, they are doing solos, big deal, right ? Unlike most of the hard rock bands nowadays, Bullet is doing technical and awe-inspiring solos. Though, I don't think the solo thing should be emphasized that much either, despite having just defended Bullet. DragonForce, Trivium, blah blah blah, all have solos, and most of them are amazing as well.
    Ibzman
    I've saw them doing the first part for Iron Maiden. Not bad. Not that good either. I like their attitude but they scream too much, and I don't like their sound too much. I wouldn't go see them but if there are other ppl than emos who like them, good for them.
    GuitarHero0715
    guitarist41 wrote: p.s. anybody hear about MT loosing his voice and they might be recruting a lead singer?
    it was larigytus(sorry for the spelling)
    superchris
    sounds good, i was actually at this show when this was recorded, and on the night it was pretty darn good, so i cant wait to a) see how it panned out on dvd b) try and find me being mullered in a pit
    erotic sweaters
    as everyone else has said, they have not "resurected the guitar solo", the guitar solo never died, it's always been around and it still is, just because a bunch of the bands you listen to don't have solos doesn't mean other bands don't.
    notaninja
    okay, guys....heres the deal. the writer probably should have worded it another way, because half of these comments have something to do with 'no, they really didnt resurect the guitar solo'. what he means is that yes, other bands do have solos, but theyre either not as popular as Bullet for my Valentine, dont have as many solos, or the solos just arent as good [no offense]. so listen, dont leave comments about how youre mad at him because he said they brought back the solo. just say 'hey, im glad i got to read about this kick ass dvd.'
    DMod
    I was unfortunate enough to see this band during two Iron Maiden shows, and while I respect the guitar work, the music was just shit because of the screaming. How can anyone listen to that shit.
    tom_sawyer
    BFMV reminds me of the melodic and flawless solos like of what metallica have done.. and one more thing, stop calling them Emo, coz they're not gay! haha...
    liledman_76
    notaninja = spot on and wtf 'good for them if ppl otha than emos like them' sometimes people should just think to themselves...
    novacaine-
    you guys are ****ed up. a brilliant dvd, showing just how great B4MV skills are, and all you guys can say is "They didnt help resurrect the solo". who gives a shit, its the dvd that we're talking about, not what band does solos and what one doesnt. Bullet did a freaking awesome job on the dvd. its the closest i can get to seeing them live, since i live in New Zealand it makes it a little hard seeing them. Any avid fan would love this, anyone who doesnt should just **** off and listen to their own music without hassling this awesome band.
    _-Joey-_
    I don't care what anyone says, Bullet For My Valentine are the best band EVER!!!
    stutor
    yo, went to catch the val' in Bournemouth the other day, damn they rocked the square super delish fire breath and angel mercy peace disaster derp