The Poison: Live At Brixton [DVD] review by Bullet for My Valentine

• Content: 7
  • Production Quality: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Bullet for My Valentine: The Poison: Live At Brixton [DVD]

Having seen BFMV four or five times before travelling to Brixton for the Kerrang! 2006 tour, I knew roughly what to expect. To be honest, they aren't the most exciting band live, but they're not the least. However, despite hardly being able to remember the night, I got a second chance at seeing the gig when I found out it was to be released on DVD. Straight away from the dvd, I gathered a basic, average BFMV performance, nothing special, and this seemed to carry on throughout the gig. However, my spirits were lifted when I found myself looking at me drunk, in the second row, screaming along to no control. Rather funny, but if you weren't lucky enough to see yourself on the dvd, it was pretty average stuff.

Content — 7
On the main chunk of the DVD (the actual gig), BFMV seem to be aiming the music at both older and newer fans, with hits such as 'All these things I hate...' entertaining the tons of newer fans and original songs such as 'No Control' and 'Just another Star' fuelling the older fans in the crowd. A setlist all would be happy with. There is extra content on the DVD with many backstage documentaries and even clips from Download festival, which impressed and amused me for a few minutes. The 'Bullet TV' however, I found boring and it all seemed to be filler material for the DVD. The addition of the videos of 'Hand of Blood' and '4 words (to choke upon)' videos along with the released videos from 'The Poison' album are great for the fans, but the special features seem more aimed at newer fans, rather than fans that appreciated their older work more. Nevertheless, still some good features all round.

Production Quality — 8
Production tricks are not widely used in this dvd, but I rate that as a good thing as a live concert should be left as it was seen on the night. The atmosphere is not portrayed on the DVD with the charisma the gig actually seemed to have, but then again, what live DVD ever does? Not really a big flaw, just if you want the atmosphere, buy a ticket instead.

Personally, I believe that BFMV used the DVD to cash in on some new-found fame, and despite the certain songs for the older fans, it stinks of a cash in, aimed at the fans just getting into BFMV. I was impressed at the amount of special features on the DVD and the actual gig itself wasn't bad, but whole DVD seems mediocre and a bit too 'live dvd' routine overall. Overall, if you went, buy it as a memento, if your an over, addictive fan, possibly buy it as a add on to the albums, but if you're just the average BFMV fan, I'd save your money and wait until the next album comes out, or better yet, buy a better-than-average live DVD. I reccommend Motley Crue's 'Carnival of Sins' or RATM's 'Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium', but live dvd's aren't usually all that good and this is no exception.

The Spoon
    well since i listen to alot of screamo, this band was like a breath of fresh air (for me at least)
    Mr.McAwesom2112
    Can we stay on topic here?! It's like you kids have ADD. Take your meds and then come back. This is supposed to be about the DVD, not their solos. (which are okay, but not the greatest by any means)
    xCoilx
    sweetshadow666 wrote: yea bfmv is screamo nd COB nd Trivium nd As I Lay Dying mayb all have them beat as far as guitar solos go tho
    wow your ****ing stupid.theres a difference between all of those bands you just listed you dont knwo what your talng about
    ATFN
    Punk2Guitar wrote: :| okay i went and checked out this DVD... i really like Bullet BUT WHAT TEH FCK IS THE DEAL WITH HIM WEARIN AN AIDEN T-SHIRT?! are they on same record label or something because ...**** that lol :p
    About the Aiden t shirt. Bullet and aiden are drinking buddies. That's were the t is from
    ATFN
    Buy the way great dvd. I live in south African - best thing when you can't see them live! Ps I dedicate this DVD to you no matter what sex you are. All 3 of them!
    iktpq666
    are you serious this dvd is the best live performance ive seen. its the closest thing to the album as u will get and how the **** r they emo. so what if the use emotive lyrics, pretty much all metal/metalcore bands do 2day.
    trivium884
    they havent resurrected the guitar solo...but bands like trivium have...and matt had laryngitis so he cant scream as much...
    tamotots
    _-Joey-_ wrote: I don't care what anyone says, Bullet For My Valentine are the best band EVER!!!
    So true.
    MetalFan4Life
    I really like Bullet but there is some things that people are getting wrong in here. 1. Bullet did not ressurect the guitar solo. 2. The reason we like the screaming is cos it has passion and attitude in it. (to the Maiden guy) 3. Bullet aren't emo. They aren't Pussy enough and emos have no guitar solos. 4. It doesn't matter if a solo is a bit messed up. Im sure Maiden, Metallica, Slayer etc. make at least 1 mistake every show. But backl to the topic, this DVD was pretty amazing. Ive never seen em live, so this is a consalation prize