The Poison: Live At Brixton [DVD] Review

artist: Bullet for My Valentine date: 11/03/2008 category: compact discs
Bullet for My Valentine: The Poison: Live At Brixton [DVD]
Release Date: December 19, 2006
The 140-minute DVD is a mesmerizing look at the Welsh band that has helped resurrect the guitar solo. The Poison draws you in pretty quickly and features a solid set of technical and likeable songs -- a killer combination.
 Content: 8.3
 Production Quality: 8.3
 8.6
 8.4
 8.8
The Poison: Live At Brixton [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on january 05, 2007

Sound: Bullet For My Valentine has released a DVD the way it should always be done -- complete with a live performance, music videos, and behind-the-scenes footage. If there was any music DVD that could leave fans pleased, Bullet's The Poison: Live At Brixton would probably be the one. While there are a few areas that could have been improved, the band succeeds in the most important department: delivering a solid, memorable metal show. Filmed at London's Carling Academy Brixton on January 28, 2006, The Poison features a thorough set of the band's hits and runs about 140 minutes. Until you've seen Bullet live, you might not grasp how truly talented the Welsh band is. Each of the 13 songs in the live set features riffs that bring to mind Iron Maiden classics and solos that should make pretty much anyone want to learn how to play guitar. From the first solo in The Voice Resides, you're instantly put in awe at vocalist/guitarist Matthew Tuck's skills. Combining an infectious melody with a bit of tapping, Tuck executes every solo flawlessly. There are so many other notable moments in the set, it's hard to pick one out of the bunch. For example, in the opening of one song, Tuck surprises the Brixton audience with the news that it will be part of an upcoming DVD. The crowd goes wild and you instantly feel like you're a part of the show at that moment. Another memorable section comes toward the end of Cries In Vain in which guitarists Tuck and Michael Paget release a dead-on guitar harmony for the breakdown. The mosh pit goes in full motion and it's just a beautiful scene. The only area that could have been improved upon was the mixing of the vocals. When Tuck sings -- not screams -- over the distorted guitars, they tend to get swallowed up just a bit. There is no problem at all when the softer, cleaner guitars come into the picture, however, or even when he screams over the distortion. It should be said that the music is so powerful that even a slight mixing problem doesn't really throw the show off at all. If fans haven't seen Bullet live yet, the DVD comes in a close second to the real thing. // 9

Overall Impression: Bullet For My Valentine has been one of the leaders in resurrecting guitar solos, and it's fantastic to see some of that shredding live onstage. Fans will not be disappointed by The Poison: Live At Brixton, particularly if they missed seeing solos up-close and personal at previous concerts. Even though the cameras were not always on mark, they did give great attention to the solos. As DVDs go, The Poison draws you in pretty quickly and features a solid set of technical and likeable songs -- a killer combination. If you're not such much into the metalcore-screaming genre, fear not. The guitars are so vibrant on the DVD that you'll be able forgive the voices easily. And that's talent for you. // 9

The Poison: Live At Brixton [DVD] Reviewed by: BFMVxx, on november 03, 2008

Sound: This a truly an awesome metal concert. From the very start of the concert to the end the sound is amazing. This really shows the skill that this band has. It is almost a exact copy of the album played live, except for added parts. The mixing for it could have been a bit better. Sometimes you can barely hear the vocals when the guitars are plating heavy. That was pretty much the only problem with the sound. // 8

Overall Impression: The very start of this DVD is the most impressive. Just after 'Intro' has finished and the band members are on stage, they start playing 'Her Voice Resides'. It feels like there is so much power there. The drums, guitar and screaming all going at once, with a impressive display of fire, and camera angles makes this the best part. The show was the best content on it, but the music videos were a added bonus. Some of the other stuff could have been improved, but it was good to have some behind the scenes stuff on Bullet. I was impressed by this first DVD from Bullet, and I would buy it again if I had to, it is worth it. // 9

The Poison: Live At Brixton [DVD] Reviewed by: D3V1AT1ON, on april 27, 2007

Sound: The sound quality on this live DVD is amazing and sounds almost exactly like the CD. Jay and Matt's vocals link up together perfectly and the riffs behind it are explosive. I think that when they play live they are more raw than on the CD and their stage prescence is astonishing considering that they only have an EP and one album to their name. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD is definately worth getting. The most impressive part of the DVD it 'Just Another Star' during the live set. It actually sounds better than on their EP. I love the fact that there is so much there and that none of the live set's been cut out. I hate some of the documentaries, I know I keep on about them but some of them are repeated and rambling. If I lost it or someone stole it, I would definately buy it again. // 10

The Poison: Live At Brixton [DVD] Reviewed by: guitargeek747, on july 10, 2007

Sound: Having seen BFMV four or five times before travelling to Brixton for the Kerrang! 2006 tour, I knew roughly what to expect. To be honest, they aren't the most exciting band live, but they're not the least. However, despite hardly being able to remember the night, I got a second chance at seeing the gig when I found out it was to be released on DVD. Straight away from the dvd, I gathered a basic, average BFMV performance, nothing special, and this seemed to carry on throughout the gig. However, my spirits were lifted when I found myself looking at me drunk, in the second row, screaming along to no control. Rather funny, but if you weren't lucky enough to see yourself on the dvd, it was pretty average stuff. // 6

Overall Impression: Personally, I believe that BFMV used the DVD to cash in on some new-found fame, and despite the certain songs for the older fans, it stinks of a cash in, aimed at the fans just getting into BFMV. I was impressed at the amount of special features on the DVD and the actual gig itself wasn't bad, but whole DVD seems mediocre and a bit too 'live dvd' routine overall. Overall, if you went, buy it as a memento, if your an over, addictive fan, possibly buy it as a add on to the albums, but if you're just the average BFMV fan, I'd save your money and wait until the next album comes out, or better yet, buy a better-than-average live DVD. I reccommend Motley Crue's 'Carnival of Sins' or RATM's 'Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium', but live dvd's aren't usually all that good and this is no exception. // 6

Comments