Burning Empires review by Burning Empires

• Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Burning Empires: Burning Empires

Burning Empires, a new metalcore super group, have come out with their Self Titled seven inch, and boy is it interesting to listen to. Metalcore has not grown in the several years it has been around, and this album is no different. With fast melodic riffs, double bass drumming up the ear-hole, and a low tuning, this album seems to be an exact replica of other albums by other heavy metalcore bands. Don't get me wrong, the riffs and the drumming is something I adore and have come to love, but so many bands have done this before. Imagine God Forbid and Silent Civilian combined, or Every Time I Die and From Autumn to Ashes, or even musically speaking, In This Moment and The Red Shore. These bands may not all be metalcore, but even if you combine two different genre's you seem to establish a basis of what has been achieved before. On a good note, Burning Empires do achieve this goal, and with a great sense of music. They have good heavy riffs mixed with a beautiful sense of drumming and rhythm. The solos are not there but this is made up for with the constant pounding of riffs and harmonies. Most choruses also feature a nice melody to go along with the fast changing chords. Easily speaking, the band changes its mood within each song. When the band is playing fast and pounding away at every instrument possible, you can easily understand the band is sending a message of anger and frustration, easily seen in the song Heart First Into Hell. During the verses you can hear how angry the band wants to be heard as, and during the chorus it seems much softer. This shows a good sense of music and transitions, which deserve a good rating.

Lyrically the band reminds me of God Forbid and Silent Civilian. Burning Empires speaks of wars raging while government are fading and all the other issues seen in our governmental societies today, hence the name of the band, Burning Empires. This can be easily seen in the song Disavowal, where the singer and band sing/chant This is War!! This seems to fit the mood of the band, as previously stated. Vocally, if you listen to the singer of Silent Civilian, you would find a correlation between the two. Is this coincidence? Or is it just metalcore band having similar sounds? That is a good question to answer, but as I would say with Silent Civilian, The singer fits his music very well.

Burning Empires is overall a decent album, with not so many new surprises genre surprising mixes but very good surprises within the music itself, which is probably better anyway. Burning Empires has done its job reaching the public ear, and kicking the ear's butt with its heavy sense of music and its pounding riffs. Burning Empires overall is a sound record for the metalcore and other sub-genres of metal, with a great sense of how it is done and how it works.

synestershadows
    The drummer from FOB, Ryan, Kyle and STu from MISERY SIGNALS (**** yeah!), and the other guitarist from legendary 7a7p. Didn't realize the FOB drummer was really that good. to be honest, i despise fob.
    Rebus
    iH8CarAccidents wrote: Oh WAIT! I remember hearing about these guys. This is the drummer from Fall Out Boy's side project! Haha. Sounds absolutely nothing like FOB though, so it's okay.
    and a few of the guys from Misery Signals if I remember correctly
    duncang
    some.will.seek wrote: What? Does it matter who does the reviews?
    some.will.seek wrote: A straight metalhead listening to the album would give it all 10's because it has head-bangin metal.
    some.will.seek
    Haha, gotta love all of the metalheads bashing the reviewer because he MAY have gotten some of the genres wrong and stuff.
    Can you get someone who actually listens to hardcore/punk and metalcore to do your reviews?
    What? Does it matter who does the reviews? A good album should be able to capture the listener, whether they like metal or not. This seems like a great person to do the reviews, because they are trying to find some inventiveness. A straight metalhead listening to the album would give it all 10's because it has head-bangin metal. But, this guy tried to see past all of the cliche crap and tried to find some real innovation. Turns out there was none. Also, like the 6.7 out of 10. It drives me nuts seeing a person think an album is 'okay' and then give it a 9.
    iH8CarAccidents
    I3irthDefect wrote: This CD is pretty terrible if it all sounds like Disavowel. Thats the only song Ive heard and was all I needed to hear... My comparison would be the Casualties mixed with Terror
    Never listened to the Casualties much, but I actually like Terror. Might give this a shot.
    crazysam23_Atax
    So, if this is Metalcore, I have no desire to listen to it, same as I have no desire to listen to any other Metalcore.
    PhobiXa
    NoInnerKind
    I've listened to this band, and they in no way shape or form sound like Silent Civilian. With Silent Civilian, the screaming is better, as well as the guitar work and drums, and you can tell where the verse ends and the chorus begins. These guys aren't too bad, it's their first album, lots of room for improvement. They just need to sort out the song arrangements. It's very confusing to listen to. It just sounds like a 3 minute verse basically. That's my take on the band. As for the reviewer, he sounds like the kind of guy who would go interview a band, and the only knowledge of the band he has is what he got off wikipedia 5 minutes before the interview took place.
    Andragon
    A more pure [tending towards the hardcore aspect] metalcore album. Sounds good.
    I3irthDefect
    TylerHerod
    "I listened to this thinking it would be different, but it wasn't, so I was dissapointed, therefore its mediocre" That's basically how the review came off
    TheSound
    Eurasian_C
    Imagine God Forbid and Silent Civilian combined, or Every Time I Die and From Autumn to Ashes, or even musically speaking, In This Moment and The Red Shore. These bands may not all be metalcore, but even if you combine two different genres you seem to establish a basis of what has been achieved before.
    Yeah...WAY off the map.
    Eurasian_C
    I don't hear a single chorus in these songs. And comparing it to God Forbid and Silent Civilian?? They're totally different styles of music d00d.
    EpiExplorer
    iH8CarAccidents wrote: TheSound wrote: Someone's smoking crack. This is straight up hardcore, with some melodic shit. Most easily compared to Continuance. Andy Hurley is really good, most people just judge him by what he does in FOB. Believe me, if all of you had the chance to never again use your talent to make millions, you all would, pretty sure of that. But he does have videos of him playing some messhuggah stuff and some more things which are really complicated. Stoked for their ST. Meshuggah? Now this I gotta see. I knew he was better than he usually showed, but that's just... Wow.
    Its one song and he hardly keeps it together. but good attempt.. from a pop group member.
    pyritmann
    The solos are not there
    theres few solos in any metalcore really. metalcore is usually just rhythm based, metal has the solos. someone who actually listens to this kind of music should have done the review
    Tapping_Ninja
    Eurasian_C wrote: He's comparing a hardcore/punk band to blatantly metal bands. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about hahahaha
    He didn't mention one blatently metal in the reveiw he just compared them to other metalcore bands...
    XpromiseskeptX
    i would say these guys are hardcore, i saw them at the borg ward in milwaukee, they were amazing. i expect a lot from these guys.