Burning Empires Review

Burning Empires: Burning Empires
Released: 2009
Genre: Metalcore
Label: FC Records
Burning Empires have come out with their Self Titled seven inch, and boy is it interesting to listen to.
 5.9
 7.7
 4.1
Burning Empires Reviewed by: UG Team, on december 23, 2009

Sound: Burning Empires, a new metalcore super group, have come out with their Self Titled seven inch, and boy is it interesting to listen to. Metalcore has not grown in the several years it has been around, and this album is no different. With fast melodic riffs, double bass drumming up the ear-hole, and a low tuning, this album seems to be an exact replica of other albums by other heavy metalcore bands. Don't get me wrong, the riffs and the drumming is something I adore and have come to love, but so many bands have done this before. Imagine God Forbid and Silent Civilian combined, or Every Time I Die and From Autumn to Ashes, or even musically speaking, In This Moment and The Red Shore. These bands may not all be metalcore, but even if you combine two different genre's you seem to establish a basis of what has been achieved before. On a good note, Burning Empires do achieve this goal, and with a great sense of music. They have good heavy riffs mixed with a beautiful sense of drumming and rhythm. The solos are not there but this is made up for with the constant pounding of riffs and harmonies. Most choruses also feature a nice melody to go along with the fast changing chords. Easily speaking, the band changes its mood within each song. When the band is playing fast and pounding away at every instrument possible, you can easily understand the band is sending a message of anger and frustration, easily seen in the song Heart First Into Hell. During the verses you can hear how angry the band wants to be heard as, and during the chorus it seems much softer. This shows a good sense of music and transitions, which deserve a good rating. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrically the band reminds me of God Forbid and Silent Civilian. Burning Empires speaks of wars raging while government are fading and all the other issues seen in our governmental societies today, hence the name of the band, Burning Empires. This can be easily seen in the song Disavowal, where the singer and band sing/chant This is War!! This seems to fit the mood of the band, as previously stated. Vocally, if you listen to the singer of Silent Civilian, you would find a correlation between the two. Is this coincidence? Or is it just metalcore band having similar sounds? That is a good question to answer, but as I would say with Silent Civilian, The singer fits his music very well. // 7

Overall Impression: Burning Empires is overall a decent album, with not so many new surprises genre surprising mixes but very good surprises within the music itself, which is probably better anyway. Burning Empires has done its job reaching the public ear, and kicking the ear's butt with its heavy sense of music and its pounding riffs. Burning Empires overall is a sound record for the metalcore and other sub-genres of metal, with a great sense of how it is done and how it works. // 7

- Sean Michael Gonzalez (c) 2009

Burning Empires Reviewed by: Eurasian_C, on december 24, 2009

Sound: Burning Empires is a new hardcore/punk group from Milwaukee featuring three musicians from Misery Signals with Ryan on vocals, Andy the drummer from Fall Out Boy, and a newcomer named Matt Mixon. Being a big Misery Signals fan, I had to give them a listen. The songs on this feature a very broad range of melody, which is something that really draws me in. They stay true to the more hardcore punk style by keeping things very fast paced for the most part. The riffs are extremely catchy and well composed. Even though I was never a fan of Fall Out Boy, I always kept in mind that Andy was a solid drummer, only now to be amazed by his skill in this band. Ryan's vocals are very throaty and raw, which adds even more to the hardcore punk style. All and all, this LP was quite the surprise. // 8

Lyrics: From the name, "Burning Empire", I had a notion that the band's message was going to be a bit more political. In the song "Disavowal", towards the middle of the song, he says, "...kept in a cage. And hoping, pacing, waiting, we're running out of excuses and we know it's true." The lyrics seem very straight to the point with its message, which actually suits the music very well. They're very angry, volatile, and all the more speculating lyrics that seem to probe questions about the government and who's running it. Ryan's vocals, as said before, are very raw and in the throat; therefore they most certainly empower the lyrics and match up with the style of music more than say a more diaphragm approach like Karl Schubacher from Misery Signals. In that same song, he sings "...and solidarity to those who give resistance, and we are right behind you because we are Legion". Ryan exhibits very empowering and solid writing, as well as very good execution. And the crowd vocals in "Heart First Into Hell" are freakin' great and are very full sounding. // 9

Overall Impression: The songs definitely have a Misery Signals vibe to them with their melody and more technical riffs, but they also have the grooves of Twelve Tribes which is pretty sick in my opinion. I love the aggression and the speed in these songs. I watched the footage of their first show and I must say that the stage presence was great. They have some other songs on the video which are not included on the LP that exhibit some really nice two-steps and mosh riffs; I definitely can't wait to hear those recorded. Other than that, this LP kicks ass, and I'm looking forward to hearing more from them. And no one can steal it from me because I got it on ITunes :). Suckaaaaaazzzz Here's the video I was talking about. Watch and see what you think! // 9

Comments