Blacklisted review by Burning The Day

Burning The Day: Blacklisted

Canada. Metalcore. What do these two things share? They are both an inside joke in their respective communities. However, Toronto's Burning The Day seeks to change that with their third studio album, "Blacklisted". They incorporate all the major elements of metalcore, while simultaneously fusing together a wide variety of genres, including power metal, melodic death metal, rock, hardcore and even pop. This helps create an interesting and unique listen in this album. "In The Wake Of Warning" is the best display of their metal side and their talent. The track opens with a speedy, technical guitar riff resembling something off a melodeath album, and is then proceeded with incredible drumming. This song is also one of the heaviest tracks on the albums, also featuring fantastic and awe-inspiring dueling guitar solos. "The Last Monarch" shows their metalcore side, with scream/clean vocals, great guitar work and a breakdown. This breakdown is fantastically executed, and it's also one of the only original breakdowns done in the past few years of metalcore. Which is saying a lot, considering the sheer amount of breakdowns done. This display of musicianship gives hope to the fans of metalcore, showing that originality is still present. The highlight and standout of this album is the opening track, "Pistols and Pigs", is an aggressive yet catchy track fueled by a main melody. This melody is actually what made me give this album a full listen, because it not only displayed musicianship, but inspired a sense of hope within me as I listened to it. It wasn't that something in the melody inspired hope, but it sounded hopeful. The ability to create a melody embodying an emotion really made me connect with this album. However, there are the occassional radio-friendly tracks (see "In Memory" and "Save Yourself"). Though this will likely turn away a few metal fans, they are still a good listen and will also help them gain air time on the radio. Thus, bolstering record sales.

Burning The Day brings the screaming/clean vocals, but add an interesting twist. The screams are low, but not like death metal, and are very original. Meanwhile, the clean vocals have a grit to them that adds depth to his voice.

Burning The Day is going to make it big, soon. Hopefully. They have the radio tracks to get them noticed, and they have the brute f***ing force to show that they're metal. Not only are they metal, but they're creative, fusing many different genres and sub-genres together to make a well-balanced album that really connected to me on an emotional level. Which has never happened to me with a metalcore album. Emotion isn't my thing, but Burning The Day made me emotional. That's saying something.

EpiExplorer
    Listened to 5 songs, its a massive Trivium clone but they just play everything faster. Yet I have more respect for Trivium because they aren't full of too much cheese or wank, unlike this album.
    The screams are low, but not like death metal, and are very original
    They're growls, and trust me, they aint unique.
    Snowman388
    Deathmethod
    Snowman388 wrote: Screams, growls. People call them different things. I usually call them growls, but whatever.
    I would argue there is a huge difference between the two vocal styles.
    Snowman388
    EpiExplorer
    Snowman388 wrote: I know. Screaming or "fry screaming" is the emo style. Growling is the better kind. But people call growling screaming sometimes.
    Thats just cuz they haven't been shown the difference. To put it in to context, most metalcore = balance between the 'hardcore bark' (which has varying degrees of pitch depending on the band) and high pitched screaming (much like that frying nonsense) while Melodeath = mid-range to low growls with very few bands using screaming at all. Examples: Metalcore
    h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZE1bmcWMUY Melodeath http ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mufhhhN23EM http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=sASIc6MIsYQ
    krvolok
    There is a more obvious difference between the two.To produce guttural vocals you just close your throat and all of the vowels you spew out will get that GGGRRR vibrato which is what growling actually is.Now on the other hand screaming is something you do when you realize that somebody is coming in through your bedroom window in the middle of the night.