Blacklisted Review

8.6
 9.1
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Blacklisted Reviewed by: Snowman388, on december 15, 2010

Sound: Canada. Metalcore. What do these two things share? They are both an inside joke in their respective communities. However, Toronto's Burning The Day seeks to change that with their third studio album, "Blacklisted". They incorporate all the major elements of metalcore, while simultaneously fusing together a wide variety of genres, including power metal, melodic death metal, rock, hardcore and even pop. This helps create an interesting and unique listen in this album. "In The Wake Of Warning" is the best display of their metal side and their talent. The track opens with a speedy, technical guitar riff resembling something off a melodeath album, and is then proceeded with incredible drumming. This song is also one of the heaviest tracks on the albums, also featuring fantastic and awe-inspiring dueling guitar solos. "The Last Monarch" shows their metalcore side, with scream/clean vocals, great guitar work and a breakdown. This breakdown is fantastically executed, and it's also one of the only original breakdowns done in the past few years of metalcore. Which is saying a lot, considering the sheer amount of breakdowns done. This display of musicianship gives hope to the fans of metalcore, showing that originality is still present. The highlight and standout of this album is the opening track, "Pistols and Pigs", is an aggressive yet catchy track fueled by a main melody. This melody is actually what made me give this album a full listen, because it not only displayed musicianship, but inspired a sense of hope within me as I listened to it. It wasn't that something in the melody inspired hope, but it sounded hopeful. The ability to create a melody embodying an emotion really made me connect with this album. However, there are the occassional radio-friendly tracks (see "In Memory" and "Save Yourself"). Though this will likely turn away a few metal fans, they are still a good listen and will also help them gain air time on the radio. Thus, bolstering record sales. // 8

Lyrics: Burning The Day brings the screaming/clean vocals, but add an interesting twist. The screams are low, but not like death metal, and are very original. Meanwhile, the clean vocals have a grit to them that adds depth to his voice. // 7

Overall Impression: Burning The Day is going to make it big, soon. Hopefully. They have the radio tracks to get them noticed, and they have the brute f***ing force to show that they're metal. Not only are they metal, but they're creative, fusing many different genres and sub-genres together to make a well-balanced album that really connected to me on an emotional level. Which has never happened to me with a metalcore album. Emotion isn't my thing, but Burning The Day made me emotional. That's saying something. // 9

Comments