Offspring Of Time review by Burning the Masses

• Released: Nov 22, 2010
Burning the Masses: Offspring Of Time

Since I first heard Mind Control's frantic sweeps and furious rhythm work from the iPod of my cousin (who, as it were, has turned me on to numerous examples of some of the best in the same and in similar genres) I was hooked on Burning the Masses. Their sound is actually quite different than many other modern-metal monsters, like Whitechapel or Cannibal Corpse; but that's definitely a good thing. The band seems to draw at least their approach to riffing from some of The Black Dahlia Murder's most intricate verse structures, and as such, most of the verses are very quick, and incredibly engaging. The riffs are most always harmonies, between both guitarists in the typical 'metal' thirds, but are varied enough to stay fresh through repeated listening. One of my favorite things about 2008's Mind Control was the drumming; and it has carried over several times over. From the almost sustained bass drumming in the first breakdown in "Immersed Entity" to the incredible rhythms on the tail-end of "Tsar Bomb," the drums don't let up for a minute, and anyone who likes to pick the instruments out of a mix will find much to love here. It's hard to explain just how the album sounds without having an example, so check out a few on YouTube if you feel the need.

To be completely honest, the lyrics don't mean much to me, since Big C's voice is a little on the incredibly vicious side of the vocal scale. Which, in this style of music, is always a good thing. His voice may be nearly impossible to understand; but what you do take away from it all at the end is a "Wow, I bet he can't talk anymore after that!" thought and an urge to show all of your friends this "Brutal singer" in this "amazing tech/death band!"

Overall? If you are into technical death metal, or just kind of want to listen to the San Diego love-child of Necrophagist and the Black Dahlia Murder, then definitely give it a try. The only problem I think I have with the album is that; like most death metal albums, it's hard to listen to it for long periods of time or when conversing with friends; as most of the tracks tend to blend into each other when you don't pay attention, and nothing stands out. It's a great listen if you have the time and money, but if you're deciding between this and maybe something easier to listen to like Joe Satriani's new album, then maybe you should take the safe route. But, any technical death metal fans should definitely give this one a try.

krvolok
    link no1
    krvolok
    link no1 wrote: krvolok wrote: Their sound is actually quite different than many other modern-metal monsters, like Whitechapel or Cannibal Corpse It's different form Corpse,half right there... Now having carefully checked it out I can say that the shear naivety of the review isn't that off,dont get me wrong this is still far from any proper techdeath. but. Cannibal Corpse OR Whitechapel?? I do not like either band, but I am quite sure that CC are alot diffrent to whitechapel...For Starters they sound nothing alike, second at least I think that the guitarists are good in CC... I've heard enough of both to know they are very diffrent...Like saying 'Slayer or Blink 182'
    My good man,betwixt Corpse and Whitechapel and the rest of the motley -core gang is an ocean of differences,CC is the law while BTM and Whitechapel are most certainly not.Slayer and Blink 182 lol btw,epic comparison.
    Hells.Mascot
    Hm, I wonder why my comment was removed. The linked band makes fun of this sort of band
    Hells.Mascot
    And of course, the Excrementory Grind****ers:
    ature=related
    d
    ted Los liiiiinkssss! No one will ever read this.
    EpiExplorer
    Hells.Mascot wrote: And of course, the Excrementory Grind****ers:
    ature=related
    te d
    ted Los liiiiinkssss! No one will ever read this.
    Nunu, EG are effing awesome XD DIE LETZTE SONG.
    RNDM
    ...And it certainly would; but you seem to have misjudged the nature of the comparison. Whitechapel is death-core, while Cannibal Corpse is more pure death metal; and so what I meant when I compared them was that BTM are unlike most modern extreme metal bands; WC + CC were simply odd ends of the spectrum.