The Union Of Crowns review by Bury Tomorrow

• Released: Jul 13, 2012
Bury Tomorrow: The Union Of Crowns

Nothing groundbreaking here, although they did improve from portraits production-wise. The album hits hard and sounds good and there's no fuzzy sort of background sound I got off portraits. The screams of Winter-Bates are far more clear and are comparable to Parkway Drive but still unique is his raspy growl. The cleans from Cameron are basically the same, still enjoyable, and more frequent(sometimes too frequent/ repetitive). The guitarists came back improved as well and they blend very well together whether soloing over breakdowns or playing along with the doublebass of drummer Adam Jackson. Jackson did very well and made this album great for me I find myself blocking everyone else out sometimes just to follow along he's very creative with his fills and placement of his double bass. His cymbal work is well timed and his blast is improved and used more frequent on this album. All in all sound wise they took their time and worked hard it sounds great its heavy and not generic in my opinion they might have created the best metalcore sound that's pure metalcore that I've been missing since Killswitch Engage.

My impression on this album lyrically is pretty dark but at the same time a feeling of acceptance or embrace of the darkness and overcoming some of the darkness in life. They write of life and death, god and demons, feelings of betrayal, love, loneliness, sadness, being lost, self trust and trusting others. I feel a lot of people could relate to the lyrics and so could other bands. They express hardships of being on the road and loyalty to those who supported them from the beginning. Sometimes, however they get repetitive especially with the clean vocals and it makes some songs a little boring but its a minor flaw worth ignoring.

Bury Tomorrow has their own sound and they are good at being true to their sound. Not as heavy as bands I normally listen to but still enjoyable and talented musicians. I see them only improving and becoming more technical with their songs instead of going the easy route like most bands today. This album is definitely worth checking out I don't listen to it every day but I did put a few songs on my playlist. The songs that stuck out to me are "Redeemer", "The Maiden", "Lionheart", "Message To A King", "Knight Life", "Royal Blood", "Kingdom", and "Sceptre".

RylanThePotato
    I always believed that these guys had the potential to blow up if they strayed from the typical metalcore skeleton and make it their own. As talented as these guys are and as much as I dig the clean vocals, I have a hard time getting really into them since I feel like I've heard it all before.
    demonhunter2211
    Just so everyone knows, I completely mis judged the rating system and gave it WAY too generous of a rating. I want to correct myself and give it a 5. This album couldn't have been any more average.
    Inglig909
    A lot of people slag this band off because of the use of clean vocals, I think they're great cleans
    Schaeferben91
    I actually love the instrumentation on this album. It isn't anything too new but I think they have a very unique guitar tone and that is one of my favorite things about the album. I also think they've managed to combine metalcore riffs with the bending parts and droning on the low strings common in hardcore.