The Union Of Crowns Review

Bury Tomorrow: The Union Of Crowns
Released: Jul 13, 2012
Genre: Metalcore
Label: Nuclear Blast
"The Union Of Crowns" is Bury Tomorrow's second release since 2009's "Portraits". You will definitely be saying "I've heard all of this before" while listening to this record, but more most tracks, it won't necessarily be a bad thing.
 7.2
 7.2
 7.1
 1,101
The Union Of Crowns Reviewed by: demonhunter2211, on july 26, 2012

Sound: You will definitely be saying "I've heard all of this before" while listening to this record, but more most tracks, it won't necessarily be a bad thing. "The Union Of Crowns" is Bury Tomorrow's second release since 2009's "Portraits". The albums starts out "Redeemer" that uses a melodic lead guitar riff, with a chugging rhythm. This song appropriately sets the tone for the rest of the record. You will many cliches in this album, but the guitar work of Mehdi Vismara and Jason Cameron show that they are great musicians and their technical harmonies and melodic guitar styles are the highlights for a handful of the songs on the album. Vismara's lead guitars can at times be quite impressive. The song "Lionheart", which gives a punk-rock pace to it, showcases his skill as well as the song "A Curse"; a beautiful ballad, that delivers a much needed change of pace and almost appropriately closes out the record. But aside from the guitars, the drums are nothing special. I didn't even notice the drums have the time because they were always boring and nothing that Adam Jackson ever caught my ears and made me go "wow". Bury Tomorrow also uses a lot of riffs and melodic guitar work that we've all heard before. Breakdowns are also quite frequent on this album, which should come as no surprise, and while they are good, they are also quite typical and seemingly recycled. But they do bring something interesting to the table, and that is their obvious 80's metal/rock influences that are incredibly during it's soft points and solos, such as in the stand-out track "1603" that also uses a piano intro as well as a piano outro for one of the album's slower tracks. While I found myself enjoying "The Union Of Crowns" while listening to it, they definitely haven't broken any ground and kind of found some songs to be very mediocre but also some songs to be very enjoyable. Generally, the majority of the songs have the same feel to them and can be hard to decipher which song is which when trying to find that one song that you loved. // 7

Lyrics: While the entire album has titles that revolve around medieval times, the lyrics themselves don't really seem to center around those topics. But the clean vocals of Jason Cameron show something different, but not new, to the genre. He avoids the mezzo-soprano voices most metalcore bands use these days and uses vocals that give off an 80's metal vibe that greatly accompanies the guitars. Set aside from that, he doesn't really have the greatest pipes I've ever heard. Although they're not terrible, they're very mediocre. Also, the screaming styles of Dani Winter-Bates is, at times, very similar to bands such as Parkway Drive and August Burns Red. His vocals can be very strong at times, but also very weak at other times. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I found myself enjoying this record, although very few songs could stick to me. Mostly every song sounded generally the same, as you should kind of expect. My favorite tracks would be "Lionheart", "Abdication Of Power" (for their upbeat tempo and great guitar work), "Kingdom" (for it's shredding and classic metal-metalcore fusion), "1603", and my favorite "A Curse", that displays Vismara's best work so far and also wraps the album up with something beautiful. Bury Tomorrow may not be the most original band in the metalcore scene, but they definitely deserve to be bigger than they are now. If they try and set themselves apart, especially with the guitar skills of Mehdi Vismara and the clean vocals of Jason Cameron, I believe that they can climb out of the cluster of generic metalcore bands if they put the tweaks in the right places. // 7

The Union Of Crowns Reviewed by: DaHaba08, on july 27, 2012

Sound: Nothing groundbreaking here, although they did improve from portraits production-wise. The album hits hard and sounds good and there's no fuzzy sort of background sound I got off portraits. The screams of Winter-Bates are far more clear and are comparable to Parkway Drive but still unique is his raspy growl. The cleans from Cameron are basically the same, still enjoyable, and more frequent(sometimes too frequent/ repetitive). The guitarists came back improved as well and they blend very well together whether soloing over breakdowns or playing along with the doublebass of drummer Adam Jackson. Jackson did very well and made this album great for me I find myself blocking everyone else out sometimes just to follow along he's very creative with his fills and placement of his double bass. His cymbal work is well timed and his blast is improved and used more frequent on this album. All in all sound wise they took their time and worked hard it sounds great its heavy and not generic in my opinion they might have created the best metalcore sound that's pure metalcore that I've been missing since Killswitch Engage. // 8

Lyrics: My impression on this album lyrically is pretty dark but at the same time a feeling of acceptance or embrace of the darkness and overcoming some of the darkness in life. They write of life and death, god and demons, feelings of betrayal, love, loneliness, sadness, being lost, self trust and trusting others. I feel a lot of people could relate to the lyrics and so could other bands. They express hardships of being on the road and loyalty to those who supported them from the beginning. Sometimes, however they get repetitive especially with the clean vocals and it makes some songs a little boring but its a minor flaw worth ignoring. // 7

Overall Impression: Bury Tomorrow has their own sound and they are good at being true to their sound. Not as heavy as bands I normally listen to but still enjoyable and talented musicians. I see them only improving and becoming more technical with their songs instead of going the easy route like most bands today. This album is definitely worth checking out I don't listen to it every day but I did put a few songs on my playlist. The songs that stuck out to me are "Redeemer", "The Maiden", "Lionheart", "Message To A King", "Knight Life", "Royal Blood", "Kingdom", and "Sceptre". // 7

Comments