Bury Your Dead review by Bury Your Dead

• Released: Mar 18, 2008
Bury Your Dead: Bury Your Dead

Two years ago, Bury Your Dead released Beauty And The Breakdown. After one tour promoting the album, singer Mat Bruso left to go back to school. He was soon replaced by former vocalist for I Killed The Prom Queen, Michael Crafter. Crafter didn't stay as the vocalist for long and was soon replaced by former Cassius vocalist, Myke Terry. Terry became their permanent vocalist and entered the studio with them. The band decided that this time around, they wanted to release something that they could put their name on, enough so that they made this record self-titled. In the past, the band's song titles all were related to one topic such as Tom Cruise movies or fairy tales. This time around, the band didn't follow that tradition and wanted to let this record speak for itself more than anything else, says guitarist and founding member Slim B. The album begins with Sympathy Orchestra, immediately establishing that the band means business this time around. The song is full of heavy riffs that make you want to start the pit up wherever you are listening to this record. All the music fits together perfectly; the vocals never seem out of place with the music itself. Myke Terry sounds like Mat Bruso did, but he has something about his voice that really contributes something that Bruso didn't. From start to finish, this album is very heavy. Fans of Bury Your Dead will love this album as far as I am concerned. The band is the same band you know and love, but they just have changed up their sound enough that you can clearly tell that they have matured musically. Metalcore is hard genre for me to actually listen to and enjoy, but this album definitely accomplishes that. Some highlights of the album include Womb Disease, a bass drum pounding, mosh pit ensuing anthem, Angel With A Dirty Face, one of the lighter songs of the album (don't worry it is still heavy as f--k), and Year One, which features a guitar solo from Alterbridge and ex-Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti. This may not be the same line up from the last album, but I can guarantee that any fan of this band will enjoy this album.

The lyrics to this album are poetic and barbaric. In Year One, the band uses lyrics to dwell upon the loss of a father: And on the day my father died? no one came to his grave to say goodbye? with all the words he could have said, never once did he make this right? he left us here, to drown in a wake of his destruction. The lyrics bring images into your head, even though there is a lack of adjectives to describe the actual scene. In Disposably, Yours, the lyrics are almost some you would hear in a ballad, but yet seem to be a call to arms: This is an anthem for the broken? Struggle to stand as they push us back to our knees? Pulling for the strength to lift our heads reaching for the promise, Bending to make an escape for the air below. Now it's the fear that keeps us frozen.

This album hits hard in every aspect like a good metalcore album should. The music makes your head bob with each hit of the snare drum. Bury Your Dead may have seem almost comedic in the past with their music, but this band is here, and they believe that their time is now. If Bury Your Dead continues their musical legacy the way they did with this album, this band will get more and more fans as time progresses.

Unskathed
    eli25822
    slipknotrocks27 wrote: these guys are so awesome. i didn't really know who they were but then i saw them at a 5fdp concert and they put on an amazing show. the mosh was insane and there was at least 10 people crowd surfing at any given time. best song on the album is house of straw but my favorite is hands to hide the shame
    Yeah i seen them there too in ny... f*ckin beast... like yeah i guess there kinda generic but im but thats why they make genres to begin with... to lable then as what they play... un original naw... like the description says poetic ... "word"... plus the pits are awesome
    slipknotrocks27
    metalcore123
    shrimp..do you have any idea about anything? oh wait no your 14 and you like avenged sevenfold. go away. I would love to see you in a Bury Your Dead mosh.
    ShrimpthePimp
    undeaded wrote: metalcoremax87 wrote: how did this band get signed... there so unoriginal... wow, there tuned really low... nobodies impresssed. Another generic metalcore band, I agree with the above statement.
    its cause their signed to victory records.
    undeaded
    Another generic metalcore band, I agree with the above statement.
    Vr4spd
    goging to see these guys w/ parkway as well. agree with the piss break comment...what a crap band.
    metalcoremax87
    Dome_Rulez
    Great album! Like I did with Beauty, i've been playing it non stop since I got it.
    Infamou$17
    Cover Your Tracks owns just about any metalcore album I've ever listened to. Magnolia is one of my all-time favorites. Actually I think the only thing better than CYT is The Caitiff Choir(It Dies Today)
    SL!!!
    Since when is BYD metalcore? This band is fun though. They dare to start out a song with a breakdown. Actually that's pretty the whole song, every song. I love it. Haha, don't go trying to listen to this band expecting something groundbreaking, they started the band just to make fun br00tle music. If you take it for what it is it's good.
    danielrobbyshor
    going to see Parkway drive w/these and Suicide Silence supporting... this band will be the piss break i think.
    BuryYourDead
    нαиd of вlood wrote: Cover Your Tracks is there best album, I doubt any albums they make would be better.
    AGREED.
    wagos408
    I love this album.....Year One is definitely one of my favorite tracks because of the solo in it...lol I did not know that Tremonti played on that track...totally blew my mind...
    Zao_89
    Honestly, the first time I listened to this album, I though CYT was better. But after a few listens I realized this album is their best. Why? Melody, less breakdowns and a solo.
    nothingserious2
    Unskathed wrote: Metal kids and hardcore kids will never get along or see eye to eye. That's why you just have to be both at the same time.
    second.