Bury Your Dead Review

Bury Your Dead: Bury Your Dead
Release Date: Mar 18, 2008
Label: Victory
Genres: Metalcore
Bury Your Dead returns with a new singer and a more serious look at their music.
 6.9
 5.7
review (1) 23 comments vote for this album:
Bury Your Dead Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 18, 2008

Sound: Two years ago, Bury Your Dead released Beauty And The Breakdown. After one tour promoting the album, singer Mat Bruso left to go back to school. He was soon replaced by former vocalist for I Killed The Prom Queen, Michael Crafter. Crafter didn't stay as the vocalist for long and was soon replaced by former Cassius vocalist, Myke Terry. Terry became their permanent vocalist and entered the studio with them. The band decided that this time around, they wanted to release something that they could put their name on, enough so that they made this record self-titled. In the past, the band's song titles all were related to one topic such as Tom Cruise movies or fairy tales. This time around, the band didn't follow that tradition and wanted to let this record speak for itself more than anything else, says guitarist and founding member Slim B. The album begins with Sympathy Orchestra, immediately establishing that the band means business this time around. The song is full of heavy riffs that make you want to start the pit up wherever you are listening to this record. All the music fits together perfectly; the vocals never seem out of place with the music itself. Myke Terry sounds like Mat Bruso did, but he has something about his voice that really contributes something that Bruso didn't. From start to finish, this album is very heavy. Fans of Bury Your Dead will love this album as far as I am concerned. The band is the same band you know and love, but they just have changed up their sound enough that you can clearly tell that they have matured musically. Metalcore is hard genre for me to actually listen to and enjoy, but this album definitely accomplishes that. Some highlights of the album include Womb Disease, a bass drum pounding, mosh pit ensuing anthem, Angel With A Dirty Face, one of the lighter songs of the album (don't worry it is still heavy as f--k), and Year One, which features a guitar solo from Alterbridge and ex-Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti. This may not be the same line up from the last album, but I can guarantee that any fan of this band will enjoy this album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album are poetic and barbaric. In Year One, the band uses lyrics to dwell upon the loss of a father: And on the day my father died? no one came to his grave to say goodbye? with all the words he could have said, never once did he make this right? he left us here, to drown in a wake of his destruction. The lyrics bring images into your head, even though there is a lack of adjectives to describe the actual scene. In Disposably, Yours, the lyrics are almost some you would hear in a ballad, but yet seem to be a call to arms: This is an anthem for the broken? Struggle to stand as they push us back to our knees? Pulling for the strength to lift our heads reaching for the promise, Bending to make an escape for the air below. Now it's the fear that keeps us frozen. // 8

Overall Impression: This album hits hard in every aspect like a good metalcore album should. The music makes your head bob with each hit of the snare drum. Bury Your Dead may have seem almost comedic in the past with their music, but this band is here, and they believe that their time is now. If Bury Your Dead continues their musical legacy the way they did with this album, this band will get more and more fans as time progresses. // 8

Comments