Cover Your Tracks review by Bury Your Dead

• Released: Oct 19, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Bury Your Dead: Cover Your Tracks

When I first heard this band I admit I didn't like them too much. They have an awesome guitar tone but the monotone screaming was boring to me. Then I saw them live and I was amazed at the amount of energy they put into their set, so I gave them a 2nd chance. I bought this CD and gave it a listen. First off all this isn't metal but rather hardcore which is a style I'm not used to. The drums are fairly good with lots of good double-bass usage. The guitars are really crunchy. Probably tuned down to drop-b I would say. The guitars use a lot of alternate picking with triplets and palm mutes and an unusual sense of chords which to me sounds pretty original. The bass is mostly playing root notes from what I can tell but not too bad if it can keep up with the drums and guitars. The screaming is what lets me down. Granted the vocalist is very talented and clearly has technique down, but his voice just isn't fitting to me. Live it blended in really well for some reason but on CD it just doesn't fit. This band is definately a live band.

Wow it's really hard to understand any of the lyrics. But after reading them and listening to music while reading the lyrics you discover that they're fairly well put together and overall portray a sense of aggressiveness that fits the harsh tone and mood provided by the msuic.

Overall I'm glad I purchased the cd. "The Color of Money" and "Magnolia" are definately the best tracks on the CD and are the cd's only singles as well. The cool thing is that the song titles were named after Tom Cruise movies which shows the band likes to be fun as well. That or they are Tom Cruise fans. This is their 2nd CD and the follow up CD is also available titled "Beauty And The Breakdown." I'd say if you're looking for some really aggressive music to mosh to then give this band a listen.

jim_root696
    i love bury your dead and their new album i agree and disagree on some of what you said but regardless they are a great live band and great review my friend great review
    Preszombie
    I agree like I said this band isn't Metal at all. They never say they are either though. I consider them hardcore.
    xmurderoticax
    This is the album that really got me into my homestate native band (most of the band actually lived a town over from me). Alot of people concider them hardcore, but if you want more appropriate terms you can go with metalcore and even the (I believe to be) newly formed genre over the years "moshcore" (because of the excessive use of breakdowns and two-step parts). Personally, I'd give this cd a 9, it was all the rage when it first came out up here and everybody loved them. Their newest effort is more mainstream and less creative imo (probably because of their signing with the deteriorating Victory Records, and because of departure with their ex bassist rich casey who also ran a t-shirt printing company which sponsored a wide range of local bands including BYD which went sour after it started losing money for various reasons), however, most of us in New England are very proud of their success and still support this fantastic band.
    cody733
    I think his vocal style is actually very good because unlike most screams, his is more understandable. I've never needed to look at the lyric book for any of their CDs because I find that after listening a song a couple of times you can make out the lyrics perfectly fine.
    RockMusicFan
    Actually the sticker on their new cd says "Nu-Metal is dead, bring in the New Metal" or something like that. I saw them live and thought they were good. I might pick up one of their cds eventually.
    srvrules
    This album really got me into bury your dead. It really took a long time to appreciate it, but it is good. The latest album, the beauty and the breakdown, kicks ass. It is probably one of the better albums you will buy this year. Very aggressive guitar, in fact, the guitar sounds much better than it did in cover your tracks. If you haven't bought it, then I highly recommend buying the latest offering.