It's Nothing Personal review by Bury Your Dead

• Released: May 26, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Bury Your Dead: It's Nothing Personal

Bury Your Dead now offers a wide range of sound, and the instruments have found ways to stick out even more with their straight up knock out punches. The low end of Bury Your Dead has always been pretty superb whether in catchy or punishing structures and now the low end has evolved with some Meshuggah like guitar tones, and plenty of fierce distortion attacks. Songs such as the blistering opener of Hurting Not Helping show a fresh and alive Bury Your Dead, and the heavy hitter of Dead End Lovesong will find old Bury Your Dead fans proud that their boys are back! But the band has also settled down a little with some soaring melodies, incredible hooks, and hints of progression that show the band breaking out of their hardcore nutshell. Now there's even a piano. Such hearty offerings like Without You show strong senses of getting more out of their melodies, while Broken Body shows them at their strongest with their new musical direction. Broken Body is a hell of a killer song, and from the punishing verses to the catchy choruses, this song is structured great! And when Bury Your Dead dives into the breakdowns, they pull them off with such power, and most of the time its one unbreakable assault. Broken Body closes on such a strong moment, and truly leaves you with one to remember. Even ambience and sound hypnosis play a new side to Bury Your Dead, as the single mechanical stomp in Closed Eyes lures the listener that was a surprise. And man do those drums in Closed Eyes give such a great rhythm and sound, and in a way shows industrial metal some new tricks. The guitar counter attacks team up in ways we haven't seen the band yet, whether with the beauty or the brutality. And the drums seal the deal, matching any attack thrown its way.

Their screaming has always been strong, no matter which singer in the band's time period was bringing the heat. It's done with such authority, and as commanding as the delivery is, its strength also has to power to move you. On It's Nothing Personal, the band has included a lot more clean singing whether structuring together choruses or bridges. I mean, nothing personal, but the clean singing takes away from those song structures that Bury Your Dead has done so well in the past. It's cool to see the variety vocalist Myke can offer, but some of the times it just doesn't fit the song. Through the range of clean singing, Korn and Sevendust influenced vocals, commanding chants, and so on, the vocal delivery is at best when Bury Your Dead gets straight to the point like they've always done. But, the lyrics are still what you'd want to hear from the band. Very powerful and meaningful lyrics that deals with real life situations, change, and just enough catch in the chorus to get you humming along.

First look at the artwork for Bury Your Dead's upcoming release, It's Nothing Personal, I was a little worried what musical direction these guys were going to take. Turns out we do have a new Bury Your Dead as a whole, but the band still keeps those straight to your face metal assaults that have crafted their sound, as well as their identity. From first listen, you may be pretty surprised, but keep this bad boy in rotation, and there are plenty of hooks you'll be glad you came back for. Bury Your Dead fans will for sure find elements that they will love, and newcomers should be equally surprised by the outcome. But newcomers should first do their research so they can witness the evolution that Bury Your Dead has performed up to this date. But for sure check out It's Nothing Personal.

jonnowev
    This album has had alot of stick from the fans that BYD gained with the first two or three 'hardcore' albums. Personally I like all of their albums so far.
    efemex
    it's not good music, that's the thing. singing doesn't make it bad. nor does evolution. listen to architects - hollow crown. that's a good cd that's got plenty of singing and evolution in it, minus the disturbed vocals and cheesy/mundane riffs this album presents as "heavy". and most of us dislike slipknot for the same reason. the masses love it, as evidenced here, but there is SO MUCH other heavy music that gets looked over for cheesy nu metal.
    ValenceElectron
    Eh, it's not bad , but it's NOT Bury Your Dead. Someone quoted Mat Bruso, and there's really nothing else to say. This band is not doing what BYD was created to do. Whether or not the change is good anyone's opinion, but there is no denying that the old BYD is dead and gone.
    Strato-Massacre
    beauty and the breakdown is the standard i compare all BYD albums to. that being said, this sucks.
    ironman316
    it's sad that you listen to slipknot.
    BaHkaTa
    don't blame them for trying to become musicians! hehe ..the new album sounds a bit shitty and will never be as gigantic beast as "Cover Your Tracks" was but it is a step out of the hXc circle. I Hope the next one will be brutal like the previous and will show that they learned to play sumtin more than extended note times ;]
    AXE187
    ironman316 wrote: synestershadows wrote: sorry but this album is horrible. sounds way too much like slipknot (which is a really bad thing). old BYD for me. it's sad that you listen to slipknot.
    what makes you dislike slipknot? the theatrics, the softer songs that are becoming more common, or their success? I am not sure, but I really cant see why people give them so much shit. I thought the latest album had some amazing songs on it
    Captian Xero
    Dear old BYD supporters: Everyone in here just wants good music, regardless of personal integrity. A no-no in Hardcore. Dear new BYD supporters: In Hardcore, keeping your word and staying true to the words you've spoken are golden. This is not what original BYD wanted to be like at all. Everyone in here is just venting their disgust with a bands growth out of style and away from integrity. Kthanks.
    strongbad142
    you people are acting like stupid krackerz. This was their best album yet, with the darky its much better and more heaveir.
    philrox
    Pyrolab84 wrote: BUTTER YOUR FUCKIN BREAD
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha
    sonicbluezx3
    BYD sounds so much better now than they did on Cover Your Tracks... that was a good album, but it's very repetitive IMO. Call me what you want, but melody makes music. Combining melody with metal/hardcore music without being screamo is a really cool thing. There are few albums I can listen to all the way through, and this is one of them.
    Cerberus7string
    Resurrection360 wrote: Hurting Not Helping is such a ripoff of Slipknot's "Psychosocial" .. i love it
    lol i instantly thought that this album was really cool i think
    metalcore123
    malakian_rocks wrote: Most of you people are too hardcore for your own selves. Bands evolve, deal with it. And besides, Mat may have said that Bury Your Dead will never singing in it or whatnot, but the guy pussied out to become a teacher so...
    pussied out to become a teacher? He actually left to go back to school and get married. Mat could have as easily changed BYD to its current form in order to rise in popularity, but he chose the honorable path, and respected his fans by leaving BYD instead of changing it.
    Arcdemon44
    ok first of all, a band chooses its own sound and music, so why is everyone complaining when BYD is expanding its horizons, if you dont like the new sound quit bitching and go listen to something else, and secondly, while i do like this album, clean vocals are nowhere near as good as the last album, with the exception of Deadend Lovesong, overall a decent effort, keep up the good work BYD!
    bilson
    I have a question... What was so special about Mat that Myke can't do? Myke can do everything Mat did and way, way more! It's Nothing Personal is an album with excellent MUSIC. Before the self titled album, BYD was nothing more than a cult following. Bury Your Dead now is heavier, more musically mature, and better off successfully with more potential than they have ever been. If you don't like them, just shut up, they don't need your "hardcore" support anyway. Hardcore is a joke and a trend that'll fade like any other, while good music is good music regardless. So grow up and open your eyes.
    synestershadows
    risingsaint
    The first thing I thought of when I heard Hurting Not Helping was Slipknots' Psychosocial, so I agree with the guy who mentioned that earlier. Singing isnt all bad in metal, bands like As I Lay Dying, All That Remains and some Slipknot for example can pull it off, but its definitely become the "trendy" thing to do in metal, and it CAN be used in excess...this album is an example of that. I'm down with bands experimenting and trying new things, but this album it seems like they were trying way too hard to sing, which often jeopardizes the songs if it doesnt come naturally.
    philrox
    I prefer their old stuff, like Magnolia and House of Straw. That was a good album. 'Cover Your Tracks' and 'Beauty and the Breakdown' are classic.
    efemex
    this album sucks. did victory pay for this review? shows how losing all your members affects a band's sound. i don't know how you can listen to cover your tracks and beauty and the breakdown and then listen to this horse shit. even their last album wasn't as bad. what the **** ever, all bands sellout, but don't ****ing think you listen to hardcore if this is your favorite cd.
    Necromanga
    I heard this band for the first time a few weeks ago, and I still listen to them! NON STOP! I love em!
    Wookieslayer
    I love this band. I'm so happy to hear this new album come out when I most needed it. I just got pulled over by the cops tonight for no reason the way to jack n the box because it was 2 am and they wanted to get me for something. they told me my brake lights were out when they werent at all and hassled me and my friend. honestly this is ironic because i come home after this situation and see the title of a new album called Hurting Not Helping--- which is exactly what the cops did to me. lawl. i love this band, makes me happy and its heavy uplifting music
    metalcore123
    This band is now disgusting. Since Mat left Myke has begun his reign of terror on BYD, and let's just say.... Was: Bury Your Dead Is: Bury Your Talent New vox are terrible. Thank god other good music has come from here (boston).
    pandaXcore88
    this album disgusts the hell out of me. it sounds like one of those shitty bands like flaw or some shit.
    smartassorange
    this album is not bury your dead anymore. there's too much singing, and not enough screaming and constant break downs, like the old bury. If you listen to beauty and the breakdown or bury your dead, then listen to the new album, it doesn't hold a candle to the older albums. i want to hear more classic bury, not this new crap they are trying to do.
    metalcore123
    FlyingLeukemia wrote: Why do you all hate singing? Serious question.
    I love singing, but not when bands completely disregard their original style and intentions as a band. "Bury Your Dead is about making fast, upbeat music. Bury Your Dead will never have singing in it." -Mat Bruso
    malakian_rocks
    This album cured my hangover ! A bit of change is ALWAYS good. Their old stuff get a bit repetitive after a while. The fact that they sing does not make them any more or less metal.
    mynamesbetter
    malakian_rocks
    I think that these people are afraid of change...
    hammerhead_500
    malakian_rocks wrote: mynamesbetter wrote: What are you guys talking about??? Bury Your Dead should be way more popular than they are, because all their songs are great and the new album is so good, especially 'hurting not helping'. I think that these people are afraid of change...
    exactly what i was thinking whis album wasnt so bad, actually, it was great, BANDS EVOLVE just deal with it
    Messer
    I really like BYD, good band, i even really liked their self titled one, Hands to hide the shame and dust to dust, great jams, their old stuff, amazing tunes on them. It just seems to me like they tried way too hard to, I hate to say it, fit in with everybody else instead of being BYD. Singing is all cool, but it just doesn't sound natural to me like they forced it out instead of just going with the flow on it. The album had great riffs and song structure just the vocals, he tried way too hard, they should have just let it come to them with the singing and keep it BYD!!! the album, it's good but it's also disappointing. But they grew musically which is really good, they are proving to everybody that they are not just a trend "hardcore" band or something that has come and gone. All I got to say is do it with style and don't try to make it all fit together. With more work on the vocals they will be an really good band, i can't wait to hear what the put out next. And the dude that put butter your ****ing bread...haha that's awesome!!