Burzum/Aske review by Burzum

• Released: Dec 2, 2003
Burzum: Burzum/Aske

Burzum's first album is a black metal classic. Varg Vikernes' one man band spews a raw aggression that few in Black Metal, even other Norwegian bands have to scramble to keep up with. The instrumentation on this album is very fitting, with blasting drums and hard hitting guitar lines. The bass is barely audible, but that's ok, because it doesn't take away from the pit of anger and evil that is Burzum. The second part of this album, Burzum's first EP and second recording is more of the same good darkness that we came to expect from his debut. On an interesting side note, Aske means Ashes in Norwegian, and Varg Vikernes was convicted of the arson of 3 churches and suspected of even more. This EP also features Samoth of Emperor fame on Bass. Very low quality, but that's black metal. Very good sound.

The lyrics are standard black metal fare, even with a little power metal thrown in for good measure. (Burzum means darkness in the tolkien-verse, and he gets really into the fantasy hinted at here on his next album). Varg Vikernes has the rawest voice I've ever heard. His blood curdling screams could scare the piss out of anyone who's not prepared for what they're about to hear. Sweet lyrics and singing.

This album is a black metal milestone. While it isn't as good as his next endeavor, this is his most influential achievement. All the songs on this album are kvlt classics. The pounding drums and guitars are amazing. We get a nice break from the brutality with Channeling The Power Of Souls Into A New God, an instrumental track. Then, we get the almost melodic War. Then comes The Crying Orc, another instrumental track that serves as a transition back to the hard hitting black metal we expect. I love this album. If it were lost, I'd tear my house apart to find it. If it were stolen, I would stab the guy who stole it like Varg did to Oystein Aarseth. Jolly good work.

progenitor_20
    Does anyone else find it slightly ironic that one of Varg's best albums has a solo from Oystein Aarseth on it ("War"), since we all know Varg later killed him?
    thegrungyhippie
    im just getting into Burzum and I am very impressed with his musical style and talent. I'll definately be picking this one up.