Burzum/Aske review by Burzum

• Released: Dec 2, 2003
Burzum: Burzum/Aske

The sound of this album is dark but that's usual. Very usual for the genre now but at that point I guess it would have been rather revolutionary. Poor production but that's another standard among the genre but. A couple of good riffs hear and there but nothing overly spectacular and I figure I am probably going to upset people by saying that I am not all that impressed with it, but I do like the band and respect them for their contribution to what has become Black metal, not to mention the Count plays almost every instrument on this album and that is deserving enough of anything else you'll hear. Only thing is that's this album has both Varg Vikernes, Euronymous on it; which knowing what we know now is slightly funny. For those who don't know what happened than you probably shouldn't be reading this otherwise Google Euronymous and you'll be properly informed.

I rather like the lyrics, and find them strong, and to the point which is the way Count Grishnackh is and comes through in the lyrics. Music works well the with lyrics, could have been better but respectable none the less. Singer skills were average, but this was one of the earlier CD's so considering that you have to give him some leeway.

Overall the CD is enjoyable and that's all that it is suppose to accomplish, so because of that it's a good album. "Dungeons of Darkness" and definitely "Feeble Screams from Forests Unknown". I like the raw style but don't care for the poor production. I would buy it again just because I am dedicated to the genre. So if you like the CD buy more and send Verg some letters for him to read in prison.

Jøhnny
    Varg makes some of the best riffs in Black Metal! I like especially the song "Ea, Lord of the Depths", Great drum intro and awesome main riff!
    Wolfsblood138
    Great album. His screams are really dramatic; I never would've expected it to sound how it did. It actually seems like he is cutting himself in half as he is screaming its that brutal.
    bathory95
    The half of the guitar parts was recorded with 10 watt Marshall...I still can't believe this!