Daui Baldrs review by Burzum

• Released: Jan 1, 1997
Burzum: Daui Baldrs

Dauрi Baldrs, Burzum's first Ambient album, is a bit weird because of it's sounds, but if you can get used to it, it's actually quite good album. Varg Vikernes was in prison because he killed Euronymous, and there he wasn't allowed to use any other instruments than keyboards, so he had to do music featuring only keyboards. As you may know, it's quite difficult to do Metal with just keyboards, so he made Ambient music. The album is really minimalistic, with most of the song having just a few simple melodies repeated for the whole song, but for Ambient fans, this shouldn't be a problem. The worst thing in the album is the sound, since the whole album is done with MIDI, and because of that, "instruments" like violin and saxophone sound quite ridiculous. But then the others, like piano and other keyboard, sound quite normal. The first song, Dauрi Baldrs, has this ridiculous saxophone sound, but otherwise it's quite good song with epic atmosphere and nice keyboards. The second song, Hermoрr Б Helferр, is in my opinion one of the worst Burzum songs, maybe even the worst, since the song is totally destroyed with the horrible sound of the lead violin. Ridiculous song, but it has something good: it's a really short song! Bбlferр Baldrs is a remake of the song Jesus' Tod from the Filosofem album, and has only one melody (a remake of Jesus' Tod's main riff) repeated for the whole song, with some parts where the melody isn't played and you can hear just the backing choir and keyboards. Really dark & atmospheric song. Н Heimr Heljar is this really medieval sounding song with great keyboards and trumpets (or whatever they are...) but has horrible drums which are really useless and just make the song worse, but if you forget them, the song is great. Illa Tiрandi is the most minimalistic song in the album. It has only two simple and slow piano melodies being repeated for the whole ten minutes, with a choir backing them occasionally. Really relaxing song, and all fans of Ambient and Minimalistic music should like this. The last song, Mуti Ragnarokum is my favorite song from the album. It's also a long song with great piano melodies and epic backing keyboards. The keyboards sound like normal instruments, but the horrible violin is the only thing making this song worse. The song doesn't have much those violin parts, so it's not a big problem.

Lyrics and singing... Well, neither one of those are featured in the album, so I can't really rate them. The songs do have "lyrics" which tell about the song, and what feelings the songs are supposed to create or something like that, but I haven't read them so I don't know very well. If you are interested in this subject, you can read the lyrics from Burzum's website. I'll give the lyrics 7 so it won't drop or raise the average of the album rating.

So the overall impression: a great Ambient album which has horrible MIDI sounds which make the album much worse than what it could be with better sounds. Fans of Ambient music: Try it! But you have been warned, the "instruments" sound really ridiculous at some parts. But if you can get used to the sounds, it's actually a quite good album, like I said before. Especially the songs with piano as the lead instrument (Illa Tiрandi, Mуti Ragnarokum) are great music when you just want to relax and listen to some peaceful music. Oh, and all you Burzum fans who are looking for a Black Metal album: No... Just no, this is not an album you are going to like...

Scourge441
    Sorry, but how is Hvis Lyset Tar Oss NOT melodic?
    Jøhnny
    bla556 wrote: i refuse to call any nazi a "f*cking genius"
    And Varg is not a nazi, so what is the problem here?
    h3llh4mm3r
    Fuck you. The man is a ****ing genius.
    Hildesheimer
    Right. Not everyone is as talented as Opeth. Though I disapprove of Vikernes' earlier beliefs - since he says he's got nothing to do with all this right-wing extremism anymore - this guy is a legendary musician. One of the best within the scene. Took me some time getting into his ambient stuff, but it's pretty good. Nothing beats Filosofem anyways.
    FearOfTheDuck
    ctfod
    ConeShred wrote: You dipshits are forgetting that music is the most subjective form of entertainment known to man. You will have people who appreciate it, and people who call it trash. Quit trying to prove each other wrong in a subject where it's impossible to prove people wrong. Quit stroking your cocks over what you think is good and what's bad.
    Maybe read the part where I said it's fine if he doesn't like it, but to say that he's only known because of Euronymous (OK, True to an extent) and that the music he makes is trash is absurd?
    ConeShred
    EpiExplorer wrote: CTFOD wrote: ITR: EpiExplorer displays massive ignorance of the genre of black metal. Fine, if you don't like it, that's your opinion, you're enititled to it, all that bs. But to say that: The only reason hes well known is because of Euronymous, his music is mostly low-grade rubbish Is incredibly stupid. The self-titled, Hvis and Filosofem are all massively influential albums, not to say the others aren't good. The only way the music is low-grade is the production values, but that adds to the atmosphere of the songs. In conclusion: You're an idiot, go away. Right, and thats based on every OTHER BM band sounding exactly the same. Face it dude, he influenced norway to shit itself with satanism trash. If anything I even appriciate the fact the Vikernes did what he did, because I DO listen to bands like Dissection, Gotherfall (if you read my review) and even Astarte, but thats only because of them losing much of their black metal musical influence. Apart from those few, everything else is the same, boring, pathetic, shallow, hardly-worth-listening-to trash from the gutter of musical offshoots.
    RAH7747
    You just don't like black metal, do you? So then why the hell are you here? Anyway, Hvis is the only burzum album i've heard and it's freakin epic! But i guess i won't be tryin this.. :|
    EpiExplorer
    h3llh4mm3r wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Its not like Vikernes made any good music in the first place, but the later ambient releases arent TOO bad.. at least its melodic. Fuck you. The man is a ****ing genius.
    No, hes just slightly smarter than the people of 1991. The only reason hes well known is because of Euronymous, his music is mostly low-grade rubbish and spawned numerous other off-shoots of more mostly low-grade rubbish..
    Cerelil wrote: Bumzur recorded this on a toy synth. Dat sum gangsta Varg.
    Lawl @ Bumzur.
    swave75
    It's kinda like Nintendo music. You'll remember it but not really needing to listen to it all the time.
    Jøhnny
    Oh and btw, why did I give the album an impression of 9? I wish I could take this review back and change the impression to 7. I remember that at one point I really liked this album, but now when I think about, it's definitely not that good.
    RAH7747
    I mean black metal bands appear like that to create a sense of evil.. Well only a few anyway.
    RAH7747
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: The only problem i have with black metal is the silly costumes and face paint. You might be thinking "its not about how they look, its about the music". So why do they gotta dress up then if its about the music. The other thnig is the amount of black metal subgenres; I don't consider it to be Blackened pagan folk death with a side of chips and dip metal! Black metal, full stop!
    Judas Priest goes on stage with strange leather jackets and stuff. You don't shun them, do you? It's just a way they appear to create a sense of evil. Music is all we care about anyway..
    ctfod
    bla556 wrote: i refuse to call any nazi a "f*cking genius"
    Lol, nice one.
    Cheesepuff
    take a step back and listen to what you're listening to. This man purposely recorded using low grade equipment. The songwriting isn't great either. It's all about Jesus dying and black metal stuff like raping goats or something. Im sorry, maybe I'm not into it, but I can't see how anybody should be into black metal like this.
    Ekofu
    JHC_DOH wrote: Total Genius, can't wait till he gets out.
    Pretty sure he was released back in April or sometime around there.
    Scout1011
    Daui isn't that great, however Hlidskjalf is much better. Also, lol @ this - "Face it dude, he influenced norway to shit itself with satanism trash". Burzum is about the furtherest away from satanic music you can get. Ignorance rears its ugly head yet again.
    crazysam23_Atax
    I can't really call this a sell-out, but it sures feels like one. It's not like Burzum was ever that great. However, I could at least listen to em when they were Black Metal.
    flying_phoenix
    Ya this album was pretty bad. Really bad actually. Its boring as hell and sounds extremely amateurish due to poor technology. The next one was okay though, and Hvis Lysett... and Filosofem were both masterpieces. I'm definitely curious about what a new Burzum album will sound like.
    nailsarecruel
    Some people consider R Kelly a genius too. and they are just as wrong.
    IIVV
    Burzum (lol bumzer) got me into Black Metal. Got some awesome chord progressions.
    JHC_DOH
    fenriz56
    I really love the ambient pieces he made before he was in prison. Like Tomhet from Hvis lyset tar Oss and especially Rundang um die tranzsendentale saule der Singularitat from Filosofem. Daudi Baldrs very likeable. New cd next year..can't wait!!!