Golden State review by Bush

• Released: Oct 23, 2001
Bush: Golden State

The sound of this album is hard. It almost could be considered "hard rock". The guitars are loud and blaze with loud and "in your face" riffs. The album's sound was a comeback to the first 2 albums by Bush. The edge they tried to recapture was captured in the first few songs then it slips away about midway through the album. The styles were in the right idea but their were just too many things they tried to hard on. This album's sound is too hard for the band's prestige of grunge/rock sounds. They use a lot of really powerful chorus's in this album. Not a great soudning album because it doesn't fit the band real well like the previous albums.

My impression of the lyrics is wow! I'm taken by them in all aspects. The words to every song are original by what originality is and very tight in the words used. The compliance with the melody and lyrics is a little shaken up on 2 or 3 songs by in general the combination is soudning pretty good with the pushing ways of the vocals from Rossdale. His voice once again is captured perfectly whether the song is bad or good. Great lyrics! Checkout "Out of this World" which is truly a blessing to have in this world.

It must be their 3rd best album out of the 4 they have. They actually have 5 albums but the other one is a remix album. It was an attempt to comeback to the sound that made them famous. In 1999 they tried an experimental sound with "The Science Of Things." They went back to the first 2 albums on this album and it was alright, but they just tried too hard and emphasized the guitars a little too much. The better songs are "People That We Love," "Out Of This World," "Inflatable" and the moving "Headful Of Ghosts" those are all standouts. I don't like the fast and uncharacteristic guitar that soars right as the song starts on "Reasons." "My Engine Is With You" is a complete despair to be on that record. It is just not Bush at all. If it was stole I would buy it yes. I'm a die-hard fan a new fan to them but I love them. I do not recommend this album to anyone only advid fans. If you like rock and neat riffs sure pick it up. The vocals are good enough. Golden State? More like Bronze State, a sub-par album from a great band.

staind_dust87
    This record has got to be one of the most underrated albums I've ever heard. Its a great record to listen in a world infested with emo and pop bands. Headfull of ghosts would have been a hit for sure if Atlantic would have actaully promoted the record (they did the same thing to Cold!). I highly recommend, also, if you like this, check out gavin's other band Institute.
    [NIN]_ROCK!
    It's a shame,but no one really noticed that this band sold a half-million records with Golden State because Atlantic Records simply didn't care about the band!I've been a fan of Bush since I'm 5 or 6 years old(now I'm 16) and I've been listening to their songs for all this time.The only album that made me feel a bit disappointed was The Science Of Things,but even that one ROCKS HARD!Golden State is the "heaviest" thing they've ever done.Still,every song is full of emotion and beauty."Float","Inflatable","Hea dful Og Ghosts","Fugitive" and "Solutions" are some of my fav songs by them(the rest of the album is just as good,but those are the songs that keep me attached to this band).If you don't know them,this is not a good starting point,buy Razorblade Suitcase or Sixteen Stone first(you'll probably recognize some songs like "Swallowed","Comedown","M achinehead" or "Greedy Fly").Golden State is more agressive,"passionante",m elancholic and thoughtful though.
    ibanezeric82
    Just listen to songs like "Headful of Ghosts", "Solutions", and "Inflatable" and you'll realize why this record is great: it has catchy, memorable songs!
    pearlJam_31490
    Honestly this is my favorite Bush album top to bottom. It is terribly underrated and most bush fans wont even give it a chance. There is only one song on the album that I'm not that fond of but it is still pretty good. Anyone who likes Bush should definitely give this album a chance.
    godisasniper
    I first heard Bush when The People that We Love was on a game I had as an instrumental. Even without the lyrics, it was catchy and very powerful. I listened to that song on the game for a year or so, then went out and bought this album. Since then, I've bought every album I could find of theirs...and I've found at least a few songs on each album that I loved.