Golden State Review

Bush: Golden State
Released: Oct 23, 2001
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge
It doesn't sound hip or current in 2001 by any means, it sounds charmingly retro, as a matter of fact, sorta stuck in 1994, but it's better than most records in its vein.
 8.6
 7.3
 9.9
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Golden State Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on february 25, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is hard. It almost could be considered "hard rock". The guitars are loud and blaze with loud and "in your face" riffs. The album's sound was a comeback to the first 2 albums by Bush. The edge they tried to recapture was captured in the first few songs then it slips away about midway through the album. The styles were in the right idea but their were just too many things they tried to hard on. This album's sound is too hard for the band's prestige of grunge/rock sounds. They use a lot of really powerful chorus's in this album. Not a great soudning album because it doesn't fit the band real well like the previous albums. // 6

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics is wow! I'm taken by them in all aspects. The words to every song are original by what originality is and very tight in the words used. The compliance with the melody and lyrics is a little shaken up on 2 or 3 songs by in general the combination is soudning pretty good with the pushing ways of the vocals from Rossdale. His voice once again is captured perfectly whether the song is bad or good. Great lyrics! Checkout "Out of this World" which is truly a blessing to have in this world. // 10

Overall Impression: It must be their 3rd best album out of the 4 they have. They actually have 5 albums but the other one is a remix album. It was an attempt to comeback to the sound that made them famous. In 1999 they tried an experimental sound with "The Science Of Things." They went back to the first 2 albums on this album and it was alright, but they just tried too hard and emphasized the guitars a little too much. The better songs are "People That We Love," "Out Of This World," "Inflatable" and the moving "Headful Of Ghosts" those are all standouts. I don't like the fast and uncharacteristic guitar that soars right as the song starts on "Reasons." "My Engine Is With You" is a complete despair to be on that record. It is just not Bush at all. If it was stole I would buy it yes. I'm a die-hard fan a new fan to them but I love them. I do not recommend this album to anyone only advid fans. If you like rock and neat riffs sure pick it up. The vocals are good enough. Golden State? More like Bronze State, a sub-par album from a great band. // 6

Comments