Razorblade Suitcase Review

Bush: Razorblade Suitcase
Released: Nov 19, 1996
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge, Post-Grunge
Every song fits with the songs around it, holding the CD together as a whole here.
 8.1
 7.8
 8.4
Razorblade Suitcase Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on august 14, 2006

Sound: I was definately impresses and blown away by Bush's 1996 album, Razorblade suitcase. To start things off, I thought the guitars on this album were more than excellent. Very crunchy, "grunge-like" guitar work from Gavin Rossdale and Nigel Pulsford. Bass lines were really good as well. Dave Parsons held it together and put some good bass lines in between songs. Robin Goodridge is one of my favorite alternative drummers he is amazing what he can do. The sound quality on this album is really good and if you hate the song writing you will love the sound. // 9

Lyrics: I like Gavin's songwriting as well as his vocals on Razorblade Suitcase. Very thorough songwrting and I think Gavin puts his heart in his music and I think his lyrics would be exhibit A. You can feel he is felling when you hear him sing. I was overall impressed with his songwriting. // 8

Overall Impression: I was without a shadow of doubt more than pleased with this album. This is definately one of Bush's best, if not, their best. I enjoyed the songs, "Greedy Fly", "Swallowed", and "Mouth" the most and if you get this album I think you should give those particular songs a listen. If I lost it I would more than likely buy it again just for the simple reason I love Bush. So go check it out. // 8

Razorblade Suitcase Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on march 15, 2005

Sound: The sound comes right from the 16 Stone album. It is only a little more mature. They made this album right after the first tour. They toured a lot then hit the studio to keep it going. The sound is consistent with the first album but not as edgey and so grunge-like. It's more of a rock record then alternative/grunge. The album has light guitar and less distorton for the most part. The guitars aren't focused so much like they were on 16 Stone. It really shows Gavin's voice more then the sounds. It has it's moments but the sounds seem a little bit simuliar and tainted when it comes to freshness. The album gets a little old with music. Just a branch or a second part to 16 Stone with a rock sound, a little lighter sound at that. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. They always bring the music to life instead of the other way around. "Drink life as it comes, straight no chaser" are some great lyrics from "Chaser." The voice of Rossdale once again is superb. It doesn't really get much better when it comes to Gavin Rossdale on vocals. It just doesn't. The lyrics blend very well with the beats. This album has a very nice bass touch to it also. It has a nice feel to it. Perfect album for a sophomore. // 8

Overall Impression: This album did go #1 in the US. It did sell 3 million copies and it did produce their best hit "Swallowed" which went all the way to #27 on the top 40 chart. It spawned the most videos of all the albums and well, the videos aren't really noticed to much. "Greedy Fly" was the 19th most expensive video to make in 1997. The album is good, if you're a Bush fan you own this album. If you're a mid 90's era guy you should probably have this. I liked it, and I would buy it again if I lost it. It does get a little old with the sounds. Some of the songs sound a little bit the same as far as the guitar goes (the effect). "Swallowed," "Chaser," the hard rocking "Insect Kin" all show Bush in variated ways. Lyrics, though and the feeling pushed with the music they give old or not, makes this album "good". // 8

Comments