The Science Of Things review by Bush

• Released: Oct 26, 1999
Bush: The Science Of Things

The sound? Yikes! The sound on this album changes a lot from the multi-platium selling 16 Stone and Razorblade Suitcase. This album's sound is a little industrialized. They use different effects and it mainly pulls away from the post-grunge/alternative sound. It was an experimental album. The impression is fresh and applauded by myself. Most of the fans didn't like it as it barely went platium with this sound. The effects on the guitar and a variation on drums with beats is what's really different.

The lyrics are always good with Gavin Rossdale writing them. Songs such as "The Chemicals Between Us," "Spacetravel," "Jesus Online," "Warm Machine," "English Fire" are all good examples of the writing. The music and lyrics blend extremely and surprisingly well here. It is a well written album and in time for a change it happened. The words a more directed at the world and audiences of people then someone else. A less personal album. Gavin's voice is great, especially with Gwen Stefani on back vocals on "Spacetravel" it is perfect. "Letting the Cables Sleep" shows Gavin's soft velvet voice in a hollow-like tone. Very nice. Gavin Rossdale is Bush and he never fails with lyrics or singing.

Overall huh? I'd say the album is good overall but it isn't Bush at their best. They intentionally pulled away at what made them huge and it did hurt them a little bit. I like the album personally but it is different. The crunch in the guitar and the "energy" felt in the first 2 albums isn't all here. The best songs on this album include: The Chemicals Between Us, Warm Machine, Spacetravel, Letting The Cables Sleep, Jesus Online. Those songs are standouts, everything else is a little vague of what they could've done. Okay album, check it out though.

ibanezeric82
    Okay, so it isn't The Golden State or Sixteen Stone, but it's a lot better than Razorblade Suitcase, in my opinion. Yeah, the sound is different. Don't get me wrong, I loved Bush's grungy sound they had when they began, but you gotta keep things fresh. They added some electronic elements to this one and I think it served them well, as the disc has quite a few memorable songs.
    jeromyrb
    i just want to comment on that little blurb on top about it lacking emotional and musical substance. Not true, in my opinion, these songs have a greater "feeling" than a lot of songs that are much more mainstream. Just because its different doesn't mean its bad. Just my 2 cents.