Letters review by Butch Walker

• Released: Aug 24, 2004
Butch Walker: Letters

The sound is very California-vibed, hence the many references to California in the lyrics. He uses a lot of vox in his songs, a lot of acoustic mixed with electric, and piano which adds a sensitive touch to the music. At the end of some songs, he likes to switch the vibe and does a little remix to fade off into the next song. His style isn't completely different from artists out there, but he has a distinct edge of his own, as he can make something that wouldn't be considered 'poppy' and make it pop without letting go of an alternative vibe.

Basically, it's a love album-some would say that emo is s--t and 'pussy', but Butch does add a sensitive edge to the lyrics, without going fully 'hopeless and desperate' mode. The lyrics are pure genius, but you can sense the sincerity, and I like the direction of the lyrics, they have an optmistic appeal to them. Singing skills - Butch is a great singer, I love his voice cause it's clear with a bit of 'rust', not whiny, not strainful, but really pure.

I am officially obsessed with this album, and I'm not ashamed to say it. Fave songs 'So At Last', 'Lights Out', and 'Mixtape'. Overall - all songs are well put together and as an album, flows well. I got into Butch when I went to another avril concert, and he was opening for her - he sounded awesome and had a real stage presense, and I liked all the stuff he produced for bands like Bowling For Soup and Avril - he's incredibly talented, and knows how to put together a song to fit any appropriate emotion. If it were stolen, the thief better write his will soon and have a nice last goodbye with his momma.