Take It Like A Man review by Butcher Babies

• Released: Aug 21, 2015
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Butcher Babies: Take It Like A Man

"Take It Like a Man" is the second full-length by American every-metal band Butcher Babies. Known for their raucous live shows, love/hate relationship with the press and unabashed public image, this band have still managed to get their name around on a variety of tours with decent success.

The first thing to note here is that this band is all gimmick. There's the obvious self-awareness of this so moving from 2013's "Goliath" to now took some reworking on the musical front of things. This comes in the form of... more gimmicks.

To describe the main musical sound of Butcher Babies would be like summarising all of the most popular mainstream metal genres of the last 15 or so years. There's a bit of nu-metal along the lines of early Slipknot, there's a definite modern metalcore injection (especially in how the songs flow) similar to Bring Me The Horizon, everything is on an 8-string guitar now so there's also a lot of faux-djent every now and then. Hell, there's even this one song "Gravemaker" that is basically a massive hybrid ripoff between Slipknot and Gojira of all things (with The Contortionist synths).

In concept, this sounds like a fairly unique, if low-set, goal: there aren't many bands who attempt to bring all those influences together in such an obvious manner. The problem is, there's a reason for that. The genre styles themselves, while being all under "metal," are very disparate in how they sound. In this albums case, there is this fact that whenever a new riff starts, the entire genre (and song) changes with it, causing this jarring and mentally dissonant, paradoxically consistent song style that only exempts itself from perhaps 3 tracks.

Even for a heavily nu-metal influenced band, there's still a surprising amount of simplicity to the riffs. It doesn't really help that much when these are genres where simplicity is in an overabundance. The occasional thrash riff might pop in that could perhaps be on a Revocation level or the odd scale pattern riff (like on the aforementioned "Gravemaker") but aside from that, there's very little in terms of memorable instrumental content.

Even the somewhat softer content like the throwaway ballad coincidentally called "Thrown Away" would not be that amiss outside of The Devil Wears Prada concert. There's just not that much here, from a musical aspect, that speaks of an band identity.

Mix is fine, production's fine, yadda yadda. The honest viewpoint is that, as far as modern metal production goes, "Take It Like a Man" is acceptable, but in no way does it make the music in any way engaging, only presentable.

Despite the twin vocalist idea being implemented before, it's not often that you'll encounter a band that makes it work. Perhaps the most successful example would be SikTh: two vocalists with wildly different tones, styles and personalities doing rapid fire, technical vocal performances, bouncing off each other like men possessed.

Another would be Despised Icon, who just ended up with two indistinct growlers.

Butcher Babies thankfully have some vocal personality but only enough to make the two vocalists distinctive from one another. Carla Harvey handles the lower midrange bits and Heidi Shepard performs the higher vox, with both contributing the occasional clean passage. They certainly have adequate skill but it's not often a vocalist is able to redeem an entire bands worth of instrumental homogeneity. They aren't able to quite pull that off here.

They obviously compliment each other in terms of harsh vocals, but in clean parts, these are the kind of vocal melodies that are a bit "default" sounding. It's safe to suppose that you work with what you're given, however.

Lyrically, uh... it's obvious that they're aiming for the "catchy jingle" approach to a lot of these tracks. "Monsters Ball," "Dead Man Walking" and "Blood Soaked Hero" are the strongest examples of this, while it's less developed on other tracks. These are the kind of rhythmical lyrics that feed the vocals rather than the vocals expressing the lyrics. Not a lot to say, other than they'd work at a cringey pool party.

While incredibly uninteresting across the board, "Take It Like a Man" is bound to be the sort of album that more casual metal fans will pick up in an instant. Do not go in expecting something that'll stick around in your head for a while, but that said, it's still a bit far from being offensively bland.

Hey, here's a new ad line: it's like 5FDP, but with boobs.

Songs to look out for: perhaps "Gravemaker" for the Gojira feel and the "Gently" (Slipknot) melody.

MrFixIt
    "It's like 5FDP, but with boobs." Not further reading for me today. I'm done.
    Fatewhip
    I was just about to question the level of maturity this site's writers had. But I decided that it's a lost cause.
    RosetaStoned351
    This band is much better than what 5FDP has become, this music actually does have some power in it.
    RosetaStoned351
    ...and why are they tagged as groove metal/metalcore, they're Nu metal/deathcore. However, their first EP was actually groove metal, I wouldn't mind if they went back to that sound.
    HUNDuffman
    I, personally, see no reason to give a shit about what genre they most fit into. But yeah, I've heard worse I guess.
    Zerath
    It feels like a lot of people just hate on this band because they have two attractive ladies fronting the band (and used to wear nipple tape). Metal has always been provocative, so I don't understand why this band is considered "gimmicky" or "fake" while other bands that are doing similar things aren't.
    mlukeroberts222
    I've saw this band perform live - TRUST ME - if it weren't for the two chicks and their attractiveness, you would have NEVER heard of them. 100% GIMMICK
    mp8andrade
    If you can predict butterfly effects so easily you ought to be the most wanted worker on earth.
    MrFixIt
    And because they have no bellybutton, and that's gross because that implies that they haven't born
    RosetaStoned351
    I actually enjoy this band, but the first album was better, it had much better choruses and more singing on it. I still think it deserves more than a 5, the riffs and the vocals are a fun listen. The ballad-type song "Thrown Away" is probably the best song on the album, along with "Monster Ball", "Igniter" & "Dead Man Walking". I you're a fan of Deathcore & Nu metal you will most likely enjoy this band.
    Shavyi
    Just listened to Gravemaker because I got pulled by "Gojira" : - 8 strings is just total bullshit, this could be easily played on a downtuned 6 strings - the vocal production is a mess I think. You can't really hear the difference between the singers because the voices get lost in the mix and in the compression. That's a shame, because the instrumental part is pretty solid (at least for that song) - I have the feeling they're wanting the change their image, becoming a band known for their music and not just for the plastic boobs of the frontwomen (and the plastic surgeon in me tell me that it's poor boob job...) and I think this is great. I never was a fan of band that were disguised or that played a role on stage. By looking less provocative, they become more credible and maybe it will help them unleash their potential.
    Silver Blues
    Not really my thing but you don't see many women that can death growl like that so I have to concede that's impressive.
    captainstan
    Did they ever describe what the "gimmick" was? I must have missed it....
    SlyDevil13
    boobs
    captainstan
    Fail to see the gimmick. They put tape over their nipples, hell if I was a chick with boobs like that and in a band I would do that shit to. Maybe I misread, but they made it sound like they were incorporating more gimmicks. Which is where I am having a hard time seeing.
    brutality
    My God!!! im in love!! On a serious note the first videos pretty cool, although im not sure on the last one.
    erikvduyn
    "Another would be Despised Icon, who just ended up with two indistinct growlers." I have reason to believe this writer may not have properly functioning ears.
    Kraith
    Playing in nothing-special band? Can`t write something realy fresh to stand out among other bands? Take some females - this will bring attention to your band! Seriously, it`s gimmick. More interesting to look, than to listen. Bad tendencies in metal.