Electriclarryland Review

Butthole Surfers: Electriclarryland
Released: Apr 1996
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, College Rock
On Electriclarryland, their second major-label album, the Butthole Surfers continue the streamlined direction they began with Independent Worm Saloon, which basically means it's a loud guitar rock album.
 8.2
 8.4
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Electriclarryland Reviewed by: lifeofagitbox, on january 03, 2005

Sound: You know, I have thought for a long time that the Butthole Surfers have never gotten the recognition they deserve. The Butthole Surfers have always experimented and done something way different than the majority of any other bands. At one moment you can listen to a really awesome, hardcore song of their's, then a funny one, and then a deep and sincere one. This album is no exception. When you look on the back of the album and see all the song's titles it seems completely random, but they all blend in with each other in some way, which makes this album really unique. On a couple songs (including "Pepper" which is one of their only songs ever on radio circulation) they have sort of an alternative feel with their lead singer somewhat rhyming and talking. On other songs he's singing. And on other songs he's just talking and telling a story. I really like this album because it's so diverse and gives you a little bit of everything. Though, the Butthole Surfers are one of those bands you either are born with a taste for them or you adapt and then like them. My one complaint is that they could have made the vocals a little clearer on a few songs. // 8

Lyrics: Well, first off, the lyrics really go with the music and the whole musical feel. But at times, they don't make much sense and are completely random. The lyrics begin to make more sense after you've listened to the album a couple of times, but even then they're not completely clear. The lead singer's singing skills are really good because, like I said before, he can just talk and make the song, he can sing real well but with that whole underground punk feel that they developed in the '90s, and he can be serious, sincere, and funny all within one song. I didn't expect the lyrics to be anything grand because the music is really what makes it. // 6

Overall Impression: I have a really wide variety of music that I listen to, and from their own musical genre the Butthole Surfers really triumph. I don't think their's really a "best" group, but the Butthole Surfers are up there. If you want to listen to some fun music, and something that will make you laugh on occasion I'd put in this album. Obviously, the single off this album "Pepper" is really awesome and it gets you in the groove. "Jingle Of A Dog's Collar" is a fun but a serious song, and "TV Star" will make you laugh on just how he sings the song. "The Lord Is A Monkey" is another funny song. "My Brother's Wife" is somewhat pointless, but still a good listen. "Let's Talk About Cars" hints absolutely nothing about cars as far as I can tell... Pretty much from what I can tell it's a woman and man talking back and forth in possibly French or something with the lead singer saying occasionally some English to keep you grounded. It's a really unique song even if you can't understand it. Who knows? Maybe they're talking about cars in French, haha! I deeply recommend this album to anyone that just feels like listening to something unique and for the majority, fun. I would by this again if someone stole it, but I hoard all my CD's so I don't see how that might be possible. // 10

Comments