Independent Worm Saloon review by Butthole Surfers

• Released: Mar 23, 1993
Butthole Surfers: Independent Worm Saloon

Be prepared, this is pre-"Pepper" Butthole Surfers! This is when they were straight-forward punk rockers. For those who are more fans of "Pepper" than "Cough Syrup" (both off of Electriclarryland) this probably isn't the best Butthole Surfers album for you. They only slow down a couple of times and one of these times is on the acoustic "The Ballad of Naked Men." Their sound is very dirty, but you can tell the distinction and the instruments don't blend too much.

What can I say? The Butthole Surfers really don't focus that much on lyrics. Hell, one song all they yell out is, "Alcohol... You son of a bitch, yeah alcohol!" For this album, it's pretty much comedic ideas in the form of lyrics ("Some Dispute Over T-Shirt Sales" or "Chewin' George Lucas' Chocolate" for instance). This is more of music to mosh to than pay attention to.

If you can last 3-5 min. of nothing but feedback (last song, "Clean It Up") then I think you'll be able to survive, but this album definitely isn't for everyone. Only some people can actually put up with it (parents are probably not those people). It's a great album, but it kind of has to grow on you a little bit for you to get the entire experience. If you're interested in The Butthole Surfers I would check out their newer stuff and then dabble in the other stuff.

blackholes
    If the rest of the album is anything like the song Who was in my room last night then I'll be happy
    tectonx
    for real though! DUST DEVIL on side 2 has +4 minutes of instrumental madness! i saw them @ castaic lake, ca back in '93 when this album came out and the pit was nonstop insanity. gibby ended up singing the few words of this song with his back to the crowd cause us punks kept throwing s#!7 @ the stage and clipped him upside the head! guess he was pissed! eitherway, WORM is one of their unrecognized best albums. by the way, gibby even blasted a few blank shotgun rounds @ the crowd. F'n TEXAS PSYCHOS!!!
    GuitaPlaya
    I don't really agree with the reviewer. This album really isn't that great. It is their major label debut and it's too processed. If you want the real Butthole Surfers experience, you have to check out their even older stuff. The shit from the 80s like Locust Abortion Technician. Now that is some seriously ****ed up shit, to say the least.