Live PCPPEP review by Butthole Surfers

• Released: Sep 20, 1984
  • Users' score: 7 (1 vote)
Butthole Surfers: Live PCPPEP

In 1983 the Butthole Surfers debuted with their self titled 7 track EP (also known as "Brown Reason To Live" and "Pee Pee The Sailor") and followed several months later with "Live PCPPEP" which was a live release, this CD is both of these releases packaged together with a couple of extra live performances, and several early demo's. The sound of this album is much different to any of their other releases, which is of course normal for BHS as each of their albums seems to have its own unique sound, it seems that this album is constantly trying to f--k people off and shock, but that does not mean it is a good album, almost all of the songs are classics and are great to listen to if your a BHS fan, though it probably would not appeal to many other people.

The lyrics are not a strong point with this band but they do have their moments where they are just hilarious and entertaining, though a lot of the time its not the easiest to understand the lyrics. However this is not really an issue as they're not bad, just not that great and they fit in great with the music, the vocals are largely split between Gibby and Paul on this album and of course they sound great, even though Pauls yells can get some getting used to to really get into the songs with him on vocal duties, once you have adjusted to them you will love songs like "Something" and "BBQ Pope".

This album is not BHS strongest release but is still a classic and a one of a kind, I am still yet to hear an album that sounds even remotely similiar. The best songs on the album would be: "Hey", "Something", "Something (Live)", "Wichita Cathedral" and "Suicide", most of the other tracks are just live versions of the first EP's tracks and don't really standout. Overall this is a one of a kind album and has a very original sound to it, there is basically nothing I don't like about this album other than the fact that it is basically just an EP with a whole lot of bonus tracks, although I'm not complaining that I get a free live EP packed in there with even more bonus tracks, the live tracks are still good quality and when they play "Something" live it can actually outdo the studio version. If I were to lose this album I would replace it.

MurderJunkie93
    This is the re-release with both of their first 2 EP's with bonus tracks, it should be 18 tracks.