Psychic... Powerless... Another Man's Sac Review

artist: Butthole Surfers date: 03/17/2011 category: compact discs
Butthole Surfers: Psychic... Powerless... Another Man's Sac
Released: 1984
Genre: Avant-garde, hardcore, psychedelia
Label: Touch and Go (US)/ Fundamental (UK)
This album is really a classic, and one of their finest releases.
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Psychic... Powerless... Another Man's Sac Reviewed by: MurderJunkie93, on march 17, 2011

Sound: This is the first full length album by the legendary Butthole Surfers, it was originally released in 1984 and consists of 11 great tracks. Although this album came out 1n 1984 a few of the tracks like Mexican Caravan and Cowboy Bob had been in the bands setlist since the very beginning (1981). This album shows the first phase of The Butthole Surfers sound, when they were still making a lot of punk/surf rock style songs and gibbytronix were pretty much non-existent. Although this may sound like it could be a bad thing it definitely isnt. The production quality is decent especially considering the band was still underground and were just starting to make their impact on the music scene, most other underground bands at the time had low quality sound, (not that it doesnt suit a lot of bands to have that raw sound). The riffs and drums are very original, hectic and enjoyable...as usual. Gibby does a great job at sounding like a madman in a great way, which I dont think anyone else could do as well. I do think The Buttholes should have made maybe one more album or EP in this style before going in that more hectic direction they went in for the rest of the 80's. But then again every Butthole Surfer album has a different feel to it so maybe it wouldnt have had the same impact that this classic did. // 9

Lyrics: As pretty much none of The Butthole Surfer albums have lyrics included I haven't really gotten round to reading them although most of the album you can understand the lyrics, as usual they are crude and weird. Not surprising for a band of acid heads! None of the songs are catchy but just memorable. Overall I am still to delve deeper into the lyrics and see a proper meaning, they seem hazy to me and I don't really get them that much. There are songs which I understand but some are just like "what??" when you read and hear them. But Gibby has a great vocal performance and its a band that lyrics dont matter too much so It doesnt bother me or ruin the experience. // 6

Overall Impression: This album is really a classic, and one of their finest releases. It ages well and to me is possibly my favourite album of 1984. Pretty much every song on the album is really good and I can listen through the whole album without getting the slightest bit bored, and I never get sick of this album so that also says something as a lot of albums you listen to you can get sick of it halfway through and listen to something else, to be honest I think it could have actually done with a couple more songs, its just awesome. There is not really anything I hate about this album, and I can't really say anything negative about it as I find the whole album good. If this album were to be stolen or lost I wouldn't think twice about buying it again, it is a must for any Butthole Surfers fan and would also be a good CD to introduce a new listener to The Buttholes. // 10

Comments