A New Shape Of Desperation review by By Night

• Released: Sep 25, 2006
By Night: A New Shape Of Desperation

Falkenberg, Sweden's By Night was formed in 1999. Since then they have released one split CD along with Cipher System and two full-length albums, Burn The Flags and A New Shape Of Desperation, the latter is the album I'm going to review. I had never heard of By Night when I saw they were doing a local gig for their tenth anniversary but I decided to check it out anyhow. I was not disappointed. Their brutal mix of experimental and death metal completely blew my mind and I bought the A New Shape Of Desperation album right after they had finished. Their use of odd intervals and rhythms create a mystic feeling throughout the album, mixed with the aforementioned brutal sound it all just adds up into one beautiful death metal piece. To enjoy the album to its fullest, I recommend to just sit back and listen to the whole album since the songs go into one another which makes just listening to individual songs take away some of the luster from the album.

The lyrics of this band fit with the music and especially with the singer. Reading through the booklet makes it clear that the lyrics have a deeper meaning, which in my opinion is a great plus. Notable is the 55 seconds long track "Idiot" which is written in the band's native tongue, swedish. The screaming-only singing style in the album is simply amazing and the non-existant growls are never missed.

My overall impression of this album is very good. I have never regretted buying this album, not even once. This band can be compared to some bands but the bands I think has the biggest similarity to this band are Within Y and Meshuggah. Combining Meshuggah's technical prowess with Within Y's melodic death metal results in something very close to By Night's sound. Now for the biggest drawback: the recording quality. In my opinion the sound of the album is not very good. It lacks a bit of punch. However, the recording quality is easily forgotten when one hears tracks like "Through Ashes We Crawl" and especially the opening track, "The Truth Is Sold". After hearing that track with the adjoining intro, it's hard to stop listening to the album. I think By Night is a band to be reckoned with, and that we will be seeing a lot more of them.

EpiExplorer
    GS LEAD 5
    Please take your opinions where they will be appreciated (like a trash can).
    J T C
    please take your lame jokes where they will be appreciated (like a dumpster)
    Taint McGooch
    never heard of the guys. Checked em out. definitely not to the caliber of Meshuggah. Ever. Not bad though. Could use some more oomph in the music, seems very simple.
    GenerationKILL
    J T C wrote: GS LEAD 5 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Barely constitutes as death metal. Melodeath maybe. But if so, its not even as heavy as Dark Tranquility. Plus, the screams are basic (think Mastodon), they suck live, they dont record the instruments very well, and the singers a chav. And they sound nothing at all like Meshuggah. At. All. The only good thing is that is a little bit catchy. If anything, they sound more like a deathcore band. Please take your opinions where they will be appreciated (like a trash can). please take your lame jokes where they will be appreciated (like a dumpster)
    please take your quips where they will be appreciated (like a landfill)
    IRONMAIDENTLICA
    I dont mean to start an internet fight, but why do you insist on going into like every review on here and saying the band or the review is bad? I've seen you in like 3 reviews now as the first comment and you just insist on trashing the band or the reviewer...I just dont understand why? Anyways...never heard of them band, probably will check out, although im not always a big fan of screamed lyrics.
    jackrocks4
    i think this is great! simple, yet heavy and catchy. those are the best metal bands in my opinion. see: anything max cavalera.